Search

Advance on upgrade certs wanted

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2000, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Advance on upgrade certs wanted

Not sure if this request is approrpiate as I do now know if US upgrade certs are transferable or not. However, if they are, I would like to ask any kind soul to advance me a few. I will be travelling on 9 upgradeable US flights between tomorrow (11 May) and Monday (15 May). Since I *just* qualified for silver AND gold in the past 3 weeks, I have not got any yet and won't be needing them too much after this month.

If anyone would care to advance me any, I will be in SEA until early AM Thursday, in BOS Thursday night - Monday afternoon, and MSY Friday night/Saturday noon (also passing through PIT, DCA, PHL and LGA inbetween!)

I'll pay 2 upgrade certs in interest in exchange for 10 certs.

TIA

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 05-10-2000).]
Old May 10, 2000, 11:49 am

terenz-

Ya can't trans US certs, but ya can buy some at a discount if you are Silver/Gold.

MG
Old May 10, 2000, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Upgrades for silver cost $40/800mile coupon. The ticket agents will collect at time of checkin.

Also, I >think< you can buy a book of 11 for $400 from the Special Services folks. Not to sure of the details on this.
Old May 10, 2000, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
FYI (as terenz already knows) - you can also buy 3, get 1 free as a Silver or Gold. Total cost for 4 - $120.

By the way terenz - check your e-mail - finally got around to responding.
Old May 15, 2000, 10:43 pm

Originally posted by CLTFlyer:
FYI (as terenz already knows) - you can also buy 3, get 1 free as a Silver or Gold. Total cost for 4 - $120.
Point of information: the gate agents will not sell you 4 certs for $120 (3+1 free). I was told that the discount can only be done at a city ticket office, the front counter, or the special services desk.
Old May 16, 2000, 5:55 am
geo1004

You don't need to purchase the certificates at the counter... you can just pay for the upgrade at check-in. I've done it many times. Recently I was retuning from FLL to DCA and I forgot my stack of upgrades. There was a seat at check-in available in First so I paid the $80 at the desk and got my seat.

Old May 16, 2000, 6:39 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
I'm always able to buy the certs at a US Airways Club too, along with the City Ticket Office. And yes, you can always pay for the upgrade either at the counter or gate. And as geo pointed out - $40 per 800 miles (meaning that transcon upgrades will cost you $120 - I miss the days of the $30 upgrade (meaning only $90 for a transcon) - of course that was back in the day of the old leadership, who while having a good relationship with labor, almost sent the company into the tank - even putting the 767s on the market at one point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.