Harrased by a FA

Here's a good one,

on my flight from SYR to BOS , I boarded
the flight and comfortably sat down in
row 1 (sorry its still coach) since there was
ample seating in the aircraft.The
FA then came up to me and told me to move to
the back of the plane, out of curiosity I
asked why since people pretty much were sitting anywhere they liked.
She snapped back at me
and spew out words which I was just too
tired to listen to. I moved to the back of the plane, and 15 min.'s after take off when
she was serving drinks, I got up to turn off
the lights next to me. She rushed over and
told me to be seated and again starting
spewing out FAA reg.'s. Again I sat down buckled up and went to sleep, only to be
woken up with lights shining in my face.
This arrogant, imbecile of a FA had the
audacity to come over turn on the overhead lights step on my toes, and demand that I remove my coat so that she could see the clasp of my seatbelt. At this point I was telling myself that I shouldn't get mad.After we landed I was the last one to leave, and I
asked her why she behaved in this manner
and she told me to write to the company.
I would like some suggestions as to
appropriate measures for this beast of an FA.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 8:22 am
dg1

Just write the flight number, date, route, and flight attendant's name, along with details of your story to:

US Airways Office of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 1501
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-1501

Honestly, it seems like you encountered a very rude flight attendant, happened to me on a PIT-MSP segment last month, but not enough for US to really offer you any compensation. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck.

On the flip side returning from MCO-PIT two days ago I had one of the best flight attendants I've ever seen. In a 2 hour flight he went through the cabin at least eight times, remembered I like chocolate and brought me extra chocolate and overall made the flight a great experience. I wish US had those 'Extra Effort' things that other airlines do so I could give one to this guy.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 9:38 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is truly hit or miss these days it seems. More miss currently, probably due to the protracted negotiations or lack thereof and no contract! She's clearly NOT a happy camper. She told you to write.

You might begin the letter "At the request of the FA, I'm writing...."

Hopefully you'll not encounter the likes of her for quite awhile- if ever. Surely the next flight will be better!
Old Jan 13, 2000, 7:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Every so often you get a strange one. By and large, they are a pretty good group. With tensions high these days, you do get some attitude on occasion.I'd be surprised if they called this person on the carpet for a complaint at this time. Doubt management wants to pick any more fights. One general observation. A lot of cabin staff (at all airlines) seem to enjoy telling people where to go, and what to do on board. With all the civilians flying these days, it's easy to do. These same F/A's appear sometimes to almost resent experienced passengers who get on board, know where they're going, how to get good overhead storage,how to grab the emergency row seats, and who otherwise project that they've been there before.She(he) was just putting you in "your place". Don't expect management to get heavy with the help right now...not in the middle of tense negotiations. Save your postage.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 8:21 pm

I am interested to know if this behavior is a racially motivated.

I am Asian and very young (looks 22 years) and I have felt on two occasions feel that the flight attendants resent my presence in First. And of course, I have gotten dirty looks because I know where the magazines were stored in a 747 and when I change seats in an empty coach cabin.

We do not let them go.

GO FOR THE KILL.

Kill such behavior by writing to all the top management. Mobilise your community and they must realise it is humans that they are dealing with. Humans that feel, cry and laugh and CAN FIGHT BACK!

Old Jan 13, 2000, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

The thought certainly crossed my mind.
But its difficult to prove these things. Subtle racism is easy to
get away with.

But the FA's have such a strong union that
getting rid of these bad apples are next
to immpossible. I have in the past talked
to senior management, and one (NW)
even showed me past complains from other
passengers. He told me it was really
difficult to fire these people. So what
can you do ?
Old Jan 13, 2000, 10:37 pm
dg1

I am Asian and 23. In over 150 flights with USAirways I've only experienced problems with a handful of F/A's and I've never attributed it to racial or anything else like that.

If anything, there are two groups of people who seem upset with me in first: the people who pass me on the way back, and the other old guys in first who can't believe it. Most of the time it seems to be more ageism than racism.

A side note, when I boarded my flight to predominantly touristy, leisure infrequent traveller MCO and they called 'First Class preboarding' several families shouted 'Oooh, you're so special, what did you do?' That was funny.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

I almost forgot, deelmakur , your last
few statements rang true with me. I really
felt this way with this FA. It must be a
power trip for these people. God first it
was the police now FA's
Old Jan 14, 2000, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
sunil,
Quick question. On the request to move to the back, were you flying a USAir commuter flight (Dash8 and the like)? Many occasions with United Express I've been asked along with other pax's in the front row or two) to move to the back for takeoff/landing (load balance) Often on an empty flight, they'll request that you disregard your normal seat and grab anything behind row 4 or so. Was this the case?

ontherun
Old Jan 17, 2000, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

ontherun,

no there were people sitting right behind
me, so thats why I was a little curious.
But I didn't really mind moving back. It
certainly wasn't any reason for the FA to
snap.
Old Jan 17, 2000, 4:51 pm

More than once, the FA (not US Airways) asked me, but not the other passengers, if I spoke English. Once I joked that I did not speak English. I continued talk on and on and said how bad my English was and how I couldn't say a single word. This FA laughed and realized what an assumption she had made. She then asked the others. One of the passengers was a blond Mexican man who couldn't speak English!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.