Wiki Posts
Search

Div. Miles for AA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 1999, 9:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Div. Miles for AA tickets

Anyone had any experience using US Air Div. Miles for AA tickets? Could the US Air reservations desk make the reservation for you on American and issue the award for you, or do you have to call each airline separately? Thinking of using Div. Miles to go to an AA location, like Jackson Hole, this summer. Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 29, 1999, 6:23 am
geo1004

Yes, it's pretty seamless. Call either the U or AA FF reservation desk and tell them you want a ff ticket. You can pool from both accounts in 1000 mile denominations. Have fun in Wyoming. Try the Snake River Grill when your there. Great place. Right in town. Cheers.

Old Jan 29, 1999, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
geo -- must it be in 1000 mile denominations or just at least 1000 miles from each account?
Old Jan 29, 1999, 9:31 am
geo1004

Burkey- You can do any combo, in 1000 mile denominations. 25K in your U account will get you a domestic coach r/t on either airline, and vice versa with your AA account. Or, 1000 from U and 24,000 from AA (or any combo between the two accounts in 1000 mile increments)can be combined for an award on either. Pretty flexible. One thing you can't do is use miles from one program for upgrades or partner awards on the other. So, I can use my U miles for a ticket to Hawaii on AA but can't use my U miles to get a British Airways ticket (an AA partner) or for an upgrade on an AA flight.

Old Jan 29, 1999, 9:41 pm

Geo1004,

I am currently holding 2 first class reservations on AA to SJU (had to purchase 2 restricted tkts using unused tkts from a year ago) need 20,000 miles each for the upgrade to first. I have tons of miles on US, not nearly as many on AA. As you said previously, I cannot use those US miles for the upgrades on AA. Any ideas on how to work the system to get those miles in the right place. I was told that the only way I could transfer miles into AA for the upgrade would be to transfer miles from Diners Club. Too bad I do not have one.
Old Jan 31, 1999, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
geo -- according to Catman, in the AA thread, there was an article in the Times that said a min of 1000 miles from each account, not in combos of 1000 miles. Is that what they told you when you tried to claim an award?
Old Feb 1, 1999, 7:45 am
geo1004

Sorry, I have no advice to offer on how to use U mileage to get an "upgrade" award on AA. I'll have to think about that one. Any chance of hanging on to your old tickets and just using U milage for the whole ticket??? That bring me to the next point. The key word in this AA and U mileage thing is "pooling" miles. No U mileage ever enters your AA account and no AA milage ever enters your U account. Kind of like paying your $100 dinner tab with $50 cash and the other $50 on the credit card. And when they say "a minimum" of 1000 miles, they mean you can't use 500 from your U account and 24,500 from AA to get a freebie. 1000 mile increments. You don't, however, have to pool. If I've got 35,000 miles in my U account, I can request a coach award on AA to Hawaii. I don't have to touch my AA miles if I don't want to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.