Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on Full Fare

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 1998, 9:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Upgrades on Full Fare

Does anyone know if US Air(ways?) has a policy on upgrading those customers traveling on full fare tickets? I have recently e-mailed US Air for an answer to this question, but have not received a reply. I will be travelling a lot on US Air on business over the next year (probably 10 to 15 trips), and would sure like the upgrades if they will do so. If they do it, when do I ask for it, when reserving, or the gate or ticket agent at the airport on the day of? Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 1998, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
US Air will upgrade on full fare (Y) tickets, BUT it depends on the route. You cannot upgrade out of DCA. I believe you can upgrade in/out of Charlotte on some routes but not others. Call the US Air service center or reservations and inquire about the route(s) you will be travelling.
Old Dec 16, 1998, 10:16 am
Original Member

See comments under "the Buzz."

I have learned over the course of this last week, that many of the airlines do offer ticketed upgrade on full coach fares.

The "A" class ticket is the same price as a "Y" class ticket, but is in First Class. There are limited seats available, but you can do your research well by using
www.bizmiles.com

US, DL, and UA all have these fares. NW seems to have more. I imagine that others offer this as well. I have not noticed "A" class tickets on wide body (3-class) flights, only on DC-9, 727, 737, 757, F-100, etc.

I have also been successful in getting gate upgrades to first class with a Y-class ticket on NW, but not on the other carriers.

John
Old Jan 9, 1999, 2:39 pm
EMD
Original Member

TWA always upgrades with Y class tickets - you just have to be persistent (sp??) and you can get into the clubs, too
Old Jan 9, 1999, 9:16 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

EMD--Yeah, if I lived in the St. Louis or NYC areas, I would consider it for TWA (although I am concerned about them going out of business.) However, I am in Philly area, US Air is the hub, and I can't fly anywhere direct on TWA (except, of course, St. Louis). I have just used up all of my TWA mileage (3FF tickets to ABQ for a spring vacation with the kids) and I am trying not to earn any more. With the alliances, and them not in one, it seems futile to put any miles into their program. Can get an award on an alliance program much quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.