Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The glass is half full...GS 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
OK I have to say that everytime I check FT and see a new posting in this thread a part of me gets a little excited that just perhaps someone is posting good news. And then..........
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Originally Posted by balima
OK I have to say that everytime I check FT and see a new posting in this thread a part of me gets a little excited that just perhaps someone is posting good news. And then..........
+1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The rampant speculation seems to be unnecessary. Everyone will know one way or another soon enough.

Never bet on a promo happening. Meaning you shouldn't go out of your way spending money for something that may or may not occur such as buying points in some hotel program you'd likely never use on their own. Stick to the freebies, as they're always a good way to top off any partner when you need it, promo or not. Just be rational.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Just be rational.
Sir, I remind you that this is FlyerTalk.

Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:54 am

The rampant speculation seems to be unnecessary. Everyone will know one way or another soon enough.

Never bet on a promo happening. Meaning you shouldn't go out of your way spending money for something that may or may not occur such as buying points in some hotel program you'd likely never use on their own. Stick to the freebies, as they're always a good way to top off any partner when you need it, promo or not. Just be rational.
Unnecessary may be.. but entertaining still.. and if there is no hope - what else is left in this world ?

And I 2nd beltway.. this is what flyertalk is about, isn't it ?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:28 am

The rampant speculation seems to be unnecessary.
I'm forced to inquire - have you spent much time on the internet?

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by cmckee1961
I wrote:

@USAirways Hoping there is a Grand Slam 2012! If not I will break down and cry. I love that promo and I love USAirways!

They said:

@______ please stay tuned for new and exciting promotions within the Dividend Miles program. Thanks. ^KM

That doesn't sound good for GS 2012 because I am to stay tuned for something "NEW".
I'm starting to think that means we're going to see more things like 30 Days for DC and no GS
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I'm starting to think that means we're going to see more things like 30 Days for DC and no GS
Seeing as it took me 20 days and FT to even know about the 30 Days for DC (where I live), I can't imagine they're getting the successful publicity that GS gets. Hopefully that means something to US.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:16 am

Just talked to someone from U.S. Airways. At this point, they do not intend to have the U.S. Grand Slam this year. it has nothing to do with AA bankruptcy. The Marketing dept made the decision. However, she said it could change.

The new promotion is buying U.S. Airways miles with 100% bonus . I received the offer this morning.. I just hope this is not it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by metoo
Just talked to someone from U.S. Airways. At this point, they do not intend to have the U.S. Grand Slam this year. it has nothing to do with AA bankruptcy. The Marketing dept made the decision. However, she said it could change.

The new promotion is buying U.S. Airways miles with 100% bonus . I received the offer this morning.. I just hope this is not it.
Let's hope they change their minds. And what the hell am I supposed to do with $400 in e-rewards?? *sigh*
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by metoo

Didn't they have the 100% bonus last year around this time also? I may be mistaken, but I think I remember some people doing their "buy miles" hit by buying the full amount of miles they could to get the maximum 100% bonus, as well as the hit.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Let's hope they change their minds. And what the hell am I supposed to do with $400 in e-rewards?? *sigh*
I have been thinking about that too. I have enough hotel points in all the hotel programs supported by E-Rewards for this year's GS if it happens and also for projected travel through 2015; so I was thinking the best use of E-Rewards might be Iberia Avios which can transfer to BA Avios. I can use the BA ones for LAX-HNL/OGG and Iberia MAD-TFN in the next couple years.

I just wish US would make an official announcement one way or another so we can finish booking hotels for Sept in Brazil. If it's not going to happen, I would rather stay in local pousadas than chain hotels.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by DaydreamBeliever
Didn't they have the 100% bonus last year around this time also? I may be mistaken, but I think I remember some people doing their "buy miles" hit by buying the full amount of miles they could to get the maximum 100% bonus, as well as the hit.
IIRC, there was a 2 or 3 day overlap of ending of 100% bonus and start of GS
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DaydreamBeliever
Yeap. GS started 9/14 and Buy Miles 100% was 8/1 - 9/15 last year. Bought 10K + 10K on 9/14 for $295 (or 1.475 cpm).

Then the bonus went away. Then they raised the price during the GS. Oy.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:54 am

My speculation is that US marketing is responding to tweets asking about GS in a noncommittal way just to increase buzz around the promotion. While I agree that there is no guarantee it will be back, the most troubling information I saw way back on this thread was the indication from someone at points.com to the poster that GS would not be held this year. But until I know better, I will reserve my erewards and emiles in hope of GS 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.