Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Stays [GS 2011 master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Noticed the hotel stay and hotel transfer threads were merged, does this make the most sense?
It doesn't completely make sense to me. Stays and transfers count separately and the strategies for them are different. For stays it's about ensuring that each stay counts as a hit (since there are now minimums that affect some programs), while for transfers the challenge is to accumulate enough points to be qualify for a transfer. They could even be at cross purposes, since crediting stays directly to US would hinder accumulating hotel points for a transfer.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by kochleffel
It doesn't completely make sense to me. Stays and transfers count separately and the strategies for them are different. For stays it's about ensuring that each stay counts as a hit (since there are now minimums that affect some programs), while for transfers the challenge is to accumulate enough points to be qualify for a transfer. They could even be at cross purposes, since crediting stays directly to US would hinder accumulating hotel points for a transfer.
right has the cooking spoon (= kochlöffel), it ought to be separated again @:-)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
... and that is what confused the crap out of me. If it can be split, could be alot easier to follow up. =)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:50 pm
Used to be highman123

Simple question but many may have that one - for hotel hits (not transfers) will it count when hotels are booked through OTAs (Expedia/ Orbitz) etc and one actually stays and checks in?

I'm also trying to figure out if a 5 night consecutive stay can be broken down in 5 separate reservations and would yield 5 'hits'?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by highman123
Simple question but many may have that one - for hotel hits (not transfers) will it count when hotels are booked through OTAs (Expedia/ Orbitz) etc and one actually stays and checks in?

I'm also trying to figure out if a 5 night consecutive stay can be broken down in 5 separate reservations and would yield 5 'hits'?
Most hotel chains do not give frequent stay/flyer credit when booked through OTAs. I believe there are a few exceptions.

Consecutive days at the same hotel, e.g. check out and check back in the same day, even if reserved separately, would not count as separate stays and thus would not count as separate hits.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
The 200 point minimum really messes me up, last year I used mostly $50 dines at SPG hotels to get the hits. I can't see spending $100 on a meal for 2. If I were an executive for IHG, SPG, Wyndham or Marriott I think I would be rather upset that their legitimate lower end hotels won't get hits--Four Points, HIX, Courtyards, etc. They will lose a lot of business this quarter if people in the budget travel market redirect stays to BW, Choice, etc. I understand they wanted to get rid of the phantom Wyndham stays but a 100 point minimum would still require a cash outlay of $50 and accomplish that. I have seen people mention Accor hits, it looks like Accor are no longer a partner. Also La Quinta only seems to work for stays, they don't have US as a transfer partner.

On the positive side, the toolbar gets a hit, also there are possible 2 hits for magazines-redeeming miles and paying for a subscription.

Non US residents will be messed up because in most cases we won't have the cheap car rentals and cheaper hotels like the USA. I'm lucky to at least be a citizen so I can get the credit card hits and the ones that require a SSN.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:31 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by starflyer
Most hotel chains do not give frequent stay/flyer credit when booked through OTAs. I believe there are a few exceptions.

Consecutive days at the same hotel, e.g. check out and check back in the same day, even if reserved separately, would not count as separate stays and thus would not count as separate hits.
Thanks for the quick response!

https://goldcrownclub.bestwestern.com/members/terms.asp

You are totally right - Best Western does not allow rewards for most OTAs:

Effective February 28, 2008, all rate programs qualify for earning points, except Leisure Club (LC), House Plan (HP), Employee/Member (E), European Employee (EE), Preferred Net (DI/D2), Priceline (PL/PN), Travelocity Promotional (D3), Orbitz Promotional (44), Expedia (FIT), Net/FIT (FI), Travel Agent Discount (TA), Tours (Group Tour Operator), Group (OF/OG), Crew and Deeply Discounted Extended Stay and Hotel Negotiated (greater than 20 percent discount), GCCI (FX), Dynamic Net Tour (X2), Dynamic Vacation Packages (WB), Amenity Packages, Unit Card (UC), Site 59 (59) and other locally negotiated hotel discount rates for crew or extended stays for longer than one week.
Points may not be earned in conjunction with points or airline rewar

Though it does not necessarily say that it will not provide US AIR Dividend Miles.

One more thing as I'm organizing a trade fair booking - if other people stay and check in (though the reservation is mine and my dividend miles account) will I get a credit?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Cheap LaQuinta stays: using Expedia BRG book the LaQuinta for $50 off. Gets 250 US Airways points for a hit. I confirmed with LaQuinta yesterday that stays booked via Expedia do count for mileage earning stay credit.

UPDATE 8/29/2011: spoke to LaQ again today, just to confirm. Rep says Expedia stays DO NOT earn stay credit

Last edited by carsonheim; Aug 29, 2011 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
One more thing as I'm organizing a trade fair booking - if other people stay and check in (though the reservation is mine and my dividend miles account) will I get a credit?
I often book business guests into the local Holiday Inn using my Priority Club number. Sometimes the hotel requires that the reservation be in my name, sometimes not.

However, many hotel programs limit the number of rooms that can earn credit for one account on the same night. Where I've inquired, it has been up to 4 rooms, but it might be different with other chains.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:45 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by kochleffel
However, many hotel programs limit the number of rooms that can earn credit for one account on the same night. Where I've inquired, it has been up to 4 rooms, but it might be different with other chains.
Up to 4 rooms - now that sounds promising. Grand Slam here I come...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by carsonheim
Cheap LaQuinta stays: using Expedia BRG book the LaQuinta for $50 off. Gets 250 US Airways points for a hit. I confirmed with LaQuinta yesterday that stays booked via Expedia do count for mileage earning stay credit.
These are going to be the cheapest hotel stays if in fact 250 points will be awarded. BRG coupons stay in your account even when you cancel the hotel you earned it on. Only 3 per month though. Grand Slam lasts only 2 months instead of 2 1/2 like last year. Many La Quintas are under $50 so those are free hits.

Use hotelscombined.com to search for BRG opportunities. Book three of them (and cancel them) before the grand slam starts. Use the first three coupons in September. Repeat in 30 days but before the grand slam ends.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
so i have a up and coming holiday at the hilton surfers paradise . Im paying $250+ per night for 8 nights. Im a HH gold and wife is HH blue (just signed up)

I have set both accounts to earn HH points and fixed miles. Here's what im thinking . I check in next day check out wife checks in and we should end up with 4 stays each and 2k DM each (500 fixed per stay).

So now we have 4 stays each in the Hilton hotel program can i use them for 4 hits each just enough to get the 10k bonus ?

Also im thinking of doing a expensive mattress run at a raddison property in syd using the F&F rate. Comes in at $100 per night.

Last edited by Shanye2233; Aug 22, 2011 at 11:25 pm Reason: adding info
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Also im thinking of doing a expensive mattress run at a raddison property in syd using the F&F rate. Comes in at $100 per night.
Unless I'm mistaken, the Radisson F&F rate isn't eligible for points, since it's discounted. Am I wrong about that?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero

this is not called ota but 3rd party websites !!!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by NewArrival
Unless I'm mistaken, the Radisson F&F rate isn't eligible for points, since it's discounted. Am I wrong about that?
No, you are right. No points/miles for F&F stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.