Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anyone had luck getting First USA Visa annual fee waived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2002, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs

My $60 annual fee just popped up, and I figured I could talk my way out of it. After two different operators, I was told my options were either to downgrade to a no-fee card that earns 1 mile for every $2 (max 10,000) or cancel the card. Huh? The next person in "Specialized Services" said he could credit me 5,000 bonus miles but not the $60 fee. So, I took the miles...

Anyone else had a similar experience or can share what I should do next time to talk my way out of the fee? I average about $6,000/month on the card...
Old Jul 4, 2002, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Adding to my own post to say that, in re-reading it, it does come off as somewhat too much like the annoying (at least to me) recent posts of the "wanting something for nothing" variety. In this case, though, I'd like to proactively defend myself to say that nothing irks me more than paying bank fees when I know full well that they're already making a killing off me from my individual transactions.

For me, it falls into the same category as having to watch commercials as part of the previews at the movies: I'm paying to be there, so don't make me watch commercials.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 4:43 am
Original Member

I have been told by a FUSA CSR they have an iron-clad rule against waiving the membership fee on mileage cards.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 9:59 am

I have never wasted my own time to try to argue about it. Since I have never paid them any interest, comparing it to my no-fee Citibank card, I think the 50-100K per year of miles I earn each year is well worth the $60 fee (assuming that FUSA is making the same killing off of me that the no-fee card company is). Although now I'm thinking that they should give us 5,000 miles every year that we renew .
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:12 am

Hmmm 5000 bonus miles... I wanna try too!

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:41 am

I dont know if this is an option for you, but I use a FUSA Platinum card that I get 1 mile/point for every dollar spent. It takes 24,000 miles to get a free domestic ticket; the tickets are paid for tickets, so they are fully upgradeable, and earn miles. I can normally call the number and say I want to fly from point A to B on UAL flights XXX and YYY. And 5 out of 6 times I have been told no problem here is your PNR. I have a UAL flight this weekend, that would have been $475 on UAL.com when I booked it, but it was free (basically), and upgraded right on schedule. This depends on how you use your miles. If you purchase a lot of domestic tickets, this is a good option. If you use your miles for International tickets, or upgrades, the UAL FUSA card is probably better.

The annual fee is $29, and Ive been able to have it waved several times. Although I cant remember if I had it waived last year.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
5000 bonus miles.... nice, I will try to get that when my next fee comes up too....
Old Jul 5, 2002, 7:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K-SFO:
My $60 annual fee just popped up, and I figured I could talk my way out of it. After two different operators, I was told my options were either to downgrade to a no-fee card that earns 1 mile for every $2 (max 10,000) or cancel the card. Huh? The next person in "Specialized Services" said he could credit me 5,000 bonus miles but not the $60 fee. So, I took the miles...
</font>
I succeeded with a waiver once about 4 years ago, but never since then. Since then have always received the response you mention -- you can downgrade for free to the $1/2mile card. Not worth it for someone who charges a lot, plus has 1K status to use the resulting miles more easily.

Old Jul 8, 2002, 8:35 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I canceled my card when they upped the foreign currency conversion fee, and, with some work, got them to refund the pro-rated portion of the annual fee as a "courtesy" (since they don't do it as a policy matter). I got myself a no-fee (and no foreign currency 2% surcharge) Amtrak Guest Rewards card instead, whose points are convertible to UA. I generally prefer dealing with MBNA, as well, except for their $15 fee to pay by phone.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 5:16 pm

I just got a call asking me to take the card. I tried to get them to drop the annual fee. They wouldn't. however they WERE willing to give me 15,000 miles sted 10,000 for signing up with little hassle
Old Jul 9, 2002, 3:31 pm

I must have been asleep at the switch. I thought the fee was waived for Premier and above???
Old Jul 9, 2002, 3:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TOTCOMP:
I must have been asleep at the switch. I thought the fee was waived for Premier and above???</font>
Nope, the waiver is on the cap on max miles earned annually
Old Jul 9, 2002, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TOTCOMP:
I must have been asleep at the switch. I thought the fee was waived for Premier and above???</font>
The annual fee for a gold card is normally $100 and for a normal card $60... Premiers get the gold card for $60.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 5:18 pm

The card certainly used to have no fee for Premier and above, but since I've had my card forever, the fee waiver may have gone several years ago without me noticing. (These days I use my AMEX most of the time for their Rewards) Anyone know a way to find out when this perk died?
Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:10 pm

I just got this card in May, and the annual fee just showed up two days ago. I dont think I will have luck to waive the fee nor to get another 5k bonus miles (got 10k already when signed up).
should I try to call anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.