Wiki Posts
Search

Senior discounts and Travelpac gone..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1Kmm
Senior discounts and Travelpac gone..

Guess this is of interest to only a very small segment of FF'rs..but now UAL has discontinued those senior privileges..Although they claim they do offer "senior fares" (oft times higher) from/to select cities.."Travelpac" was very handy for our extended stay, with family, in HNL, as cpns could be used for one-way ticket without maximum stay...With stock market drop and now this..is double whammy for retirees..Thought we paid our dues..
Old Jul 22, 2002, 8:53 pm

Try AA. Student fares through Citi as well as senior fares through AA
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:12 pm

Travelpac is gone, but I suspect it was only time, anyway. For normal, round trip fares, you could almost always beat Travelpac with sale fares. The big advantage was that they were single, one way trips, so could fill in a circle trip, or postpone return. But I don't think enough people took advantage of the books to make them worthwhile.

The SilverWings Zone and Europe/Asia discounts are still there.

And remember, the 10% discounts were rarely, if ever, on lowest fares. Always had to go M or above internationally, and not on promotional fares domestically. I have checked senior fares currently listed as available in fare rules on Travelocity. The discounts seem to be about the same as always.

The major change seems to be the age increase to 65.

And, of course, there are always Frontier and America West and Alaska.

Its all marketing and hype. The only reason there are senior discounts at all is that the airlines feel that they will get more revenue with the discounts than without them.

Bruce
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1Kmm
Thank you, Bruce, for adtl info...Have never used Silver Wings Zone Fares, as they seem higher than the promotional fares that we usually gravitate to...Now I need to be creative to make use of the single remaining cpn in my Travelpac..Hmmmm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.