Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you want to know?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2002, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
This link should take you right to the retail store locations in the US.

http://store.yahoo.com/parisflyer/flyerretailers.html
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:13 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
The same is true for Mallomars. You cannot buy Nabisco Mallomars in the summer due to the "melting" factor.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:28 pm

For all of you ORD-based flyertalkers, Eli's Cheesecake is always a good choice too. We used to have two regulars in RIC who were often gifted us gate agents a cheesecake or two a month. I haven't been in SFO long enough to have any regulars yet though.

And as MB has said, your average, run-of-the-mill gate agents have a LOT of discretion. It IS possible to upgrade a non-upgradable fare; or to get a complimentary, non-operational, the-gate-agent's-just-in-a-good-mood UG; or to get travel vouchers instead of the free ticket. Nearly anything is possible. Except a double UG.

And the only people you'll find who are bitter and evil simply because you're a 1P or 1K or whatever are likely the same people who are generally bitter and evil to everyone.

--nick, now an SFO transplant.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:34 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Thanks Nick...and I can vouch for those Eli's cheesecake. Our Sam's Club actually has a sampler one, where you get a slice of each different type!
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ualRIC writes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Nearly anything is possible. Except a double UG.</font>
Everything is possible. Several times this year.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SoFlyOn:
Mike- what are the biggest gripes that passengers assail you with?

John
</font>
John,

The biggest issue that I had to deal with when working at the gate was the oversold situation. United, as everyone knows, authorize many extra seats to be sold on every flight. For us (AWAC) it really was compounded in the summer because frequently our CRJ's get weight restricted on top of the fact that the flight is usually already oversold. The biggest problem are those people that don't understand that if they don't have a seat assignment, and they check in just 25 minutes before departure time, that they don't have a seat! And I realize it's hard for some to understand but I had a 1K recently (better not have been any of you!) who had already tried checking in at the front counters or RCC or wherever and was already on the standby list and since he was 1K he was tops on the list (BP1A) and in fact the only person w/o a seat. I had already started soliciting volunteers and had a couple so he was definately going to get on the flight - it's just that they make us wait until the last possible moment in case we have no-shows. I tried to explain this to him when he demanded a seat and he flipped out. I mean really flipped! He said in the 7 or 8 yrs he's been 1K this had never happened to him (which I find very hard to believe) and he didn't even understand how the system worked...how could you be a 1K and not understand this? It was frustrating.

Funny epilogue, that flight ended up coming back on a mechanical and he ended up not going at all because he missed his important meeting but he was real nice about it after that....strange.

-Mike

Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
"I had a 1K recently (better not have been any of you!) who had already tried checking in at the front counters or RCC or wherever and was already on the standby list and since he was 1K he was tops on the list (BP1A) and in fact the only person w/o a seat. I had already started soliciting volunteers and had a couple so he was definately going to get on the flight..."</font>

You don't actually mean "Stand-By" correct, because according to what I know UA cannot bump a customer for a Stand-By? Is this still a correct statement???
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoulderHyattHopper:

You don't actually mean "Stand-By" correct, because according to what I know UA cannot bump a customer for a Stand-By? Is this still a correct statement???
</font>
He was the only person on what I called the stand by list. More appropriately, it's called the Departure Management list because technically, he is not a stand-by customer. He was the only person who needed a seat that didn't have one...he could be bumped (involuntarily) if everyone else that had confirmed seats showed up. FYI, the top few levels on the DM List are what we call "must-gos" (BP1-3 or 4) - these are people that we have to do all in our power to get seats - solicit volunteers, etc. In the ideal world, 1K's would bump a low-fare paying customer if need be, but that method is rarely used.

-Mike
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:11 pm

Interesting...I assume again that "must-go's" are NOT "true" stand-by's??? Or are you allowed to get a 1K stand-by on by bumping someone else???
Old Jul 12, 2002, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoulderHyattHopper:
Interesting...I assume again that "must-go's" are NOT "true" stand-by's??? Or are you allowed to get a 1K stand-by on by bumping someone else???</font>
If the 1K has a confirmed reservation but not seat, you can technically bump another pax with a confirmed seat especially if the non-1K paid a lower fare. You can never put a non-confirmed pax (i.e. stand-by) on a plane in place of one who has a confirmed reservation. Must-go's are pax with a confirmed reservation but no seat assignment (usually because it's oversold). Stand-by's aren't confirmed on the flight but would like to get on it if there are open seats. It's strange because literally, must-go's are standing by for seats, but officially, they aren't stand-by's because they hold a confirmed reservation.

-Mike

(Edited after re-reading the question)

[This message has been edited by mbflyflyaway (edited 07-12-2002).]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 1:32 pm

because according to what I know UA cannot bump a customer for a Stand-By? </font>
In a perfect world, yes, but it does happen once in a while. So the moral of the story is that if you're trying to standby for an earlier flight, and you notice the agents soliciting for volunteers, STAY AT THE GATE!

Sometimes the flight will be SO oversold, that we'll take people off the flight at the ticket counter ("pre-removals"). But then at boarding, there are a LOT more no-shows than we had expected, and we are able to accommodate standbys.

Other times, we're looking for just one more volunteer, and a party of two comes up offering their seats. If we are very close to departure, and they want to stay together, we'll just take them both off, and now we've got an extra seat for you, the standby.

------------------
--nick, now an SFO transplant.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 3:39 pm

Hey Mike,

I am in a similar position to you. Except my chosen profession was "full-time" student at UC Berkeley. I was bored there, so I didn't drop out but took the bare minimum - 1 class to stay enrolled.

Meanwhile, I took a job with SkyWest at SFO... which I have had for over half a year now. (Almost 7 months).

Have travelled a lot, but in a month I'll be leaving to go back into my "chosen profession" lol -- full-time student, a transfer into Purdue's airline management program. (I was boooored at Berkeley).

Anyhow, my Q for you is this: what is the ZW/OO dynamic like in DEN?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:20 pm

You will LOVE Purdue's program. I had a lot of friends who were in it... On a side note, where are you going to live??? Make sure to have a drink at Harry's for me, unfortunately they probably still remember me (or my Price Waterhouse Diners Club...)
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:26 pm

You will LOVE Purdue's program. I had a lot of friends who were in it... On a side note, where are you going to live??? Make sure to have a drink at Harry's for me, unfortunately they probably still remember me (or my Price Waterhouse Diners Club...)</font>

Hi, thanks for your post. Drop me a line if you can... [email protected]

I'll be living in Cary Quadrangle. It will be weird to live in the dorms again, let alone all-men's... **** I wish I got my first choice, co-ed and next to the airport!
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:27 pm

You will LOVE Purdue's program. I had a lot of friends who were in it... On a side note, where are you going to live??? Make sure to have a drink at Harry's for me, unfortunately they probably still remember me (or my Price Waterhouse Diners Club...)</font>
P.S. Where is Harry's?

------------------
http://united.imkeww.com
http://fleetguide.imkeww.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.