Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any blackout dates on VDB Free tix

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

any blackout dates on VDB Free tix

does anyone know if VDB Free Tix has any blackout dates on Thanksgiving or Xmas or New Yr?
Old Jul 11, 2002, 4:20 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
We gave my in-laws our VDB to be used from IND to DEN for Thanksgiving. They fly here on Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) and fly home on Sunday (crazy day...) We hope they get bumping opportunity!!!
Old Jul 11, 2002, 4:21 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Based on availability, so book early.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Two questions:

1) What inventory are these pulled out of? Award?

2) Are their any Saturday night stay restrictions on these tickets? (I am aware of the 14-day advance purchase requirement.)
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 2MM; AS 75k; UA PP 2MM
This week, we booked our son's Thanksgiving flight LGA - SAN for Wed Nov 27 and rtn Sat Nov 30 with a US Airways 'bump' voucher. Agent said there were no blackout dates. Don't know about UAL policy.

[This message has been edited by psa64 (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Just booked one of these VDB free tix and no blackout nor min stay.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JohnnyP and sxchan...your VDB travel can be booked whenever there is Q, V or W availablity.

There are no blackout dates and a Saturday night stay would be conditional based on whatever the Q, V or W fare rules of the particular flight(s) you select, stated.

But in my experience, most domestic Q, V and W fares do have a Saturday night stay requirement. But not all of them do.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:35 pm

I also have been able to go standby with no change fee. Last year I took the VDB home from RSW for Thanksgiving and the first available flight was the Wednesday AFTER. I was able to go standby the Sunday and he actually booked me wrong, so I got the points for the segment!
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
a Saturday night stay would be conditional based on whatever the Q, V or W fare rules of the particular flight(s) you select, stated.</font>
From what I remember (I'll double check the profile when I'm at work tomorrow), the only rules that apply are W, V, or Q booking code, a 14-day advance purchase, and travel in the contiguous 48 states only. No minimum or maximum stay is required. A generic fare basis (just something like "W" instead of "WE14NX") is used, so there are no fare rules to follow. Just the general DBC Free guidelines.

--nick, now an SFO transplant.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good to know.

It's not what the United Reservations agent told me when I specifically inquired, but that doesn't surprise me too much.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 10:54 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Two things based on my experience last week: no Saturday night stay required, and if you ask really nicely, the 1K desk will book a VDB ticket without the 14-day advance.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds about right from the many reports of usage of these that I've received.

Many agents seem to treat these almost as if they were Mileage Plus free tickets (to a point), and readily allow changes and such without fees, penalty or too much hassle.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Now if they only earned miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.