FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   SYD Upgrade Chances - LAX or SFO? [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/996017-syd-upgrade-chances-lax-sfo-merged.html)

BurBunny Nov 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy (Post 12838109)
Oh, and I'm so bummed that, due to a canceled earlier trip, I'm not likely to get 1K for next year :(. But maybe I'll do a last minute MR the last week of December... :D

Remember that if you need DEQM to reach 1K on your MR, it will need to be completed by December 15, not 12/31.

Congrats on the UG!

Omnivore Nov 18, 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy (Post 12838109)
Well, I promised I'd update this thread with new news, so here I am.

I just checked my itinerary on United.com and saw -- to my great surprise and pleasure -- that the SWU for my SFO-SYD leg on Monday, Dec 7 cleared! This'll be only the second time I've ever flown in the new C, and wow, what a great long trip to be in new-C for! :-).

My only (very tiny) disappointment is that United didn't notify me of this upgrade clearing. I have signed up for practically every type of alert with them (e-mail, SMS, etc.), after all. It's a good thing I happened to check the web site today, so I was able to pick (what I think is) a particularly good seat: 13A on upper deck (I like to sleep, and I don't get up much during flights).

Now to scavenge an SWU for the return flight!

Oh, and I'm so bummed that, due to a canceled earlier trip, I'm not likely to get 1K for next year :(. But maybe I'll do a last minute MR the last week of December... :D

Great news mate, I have never seen such alerts ever, on any upgrades, so I just keep checking.

I do hate this waiting for upgrades, my fiancee is in XC for the flight to LAX after the wedding and I'm on the NC waitlist, GAH!

slaman Nov 18, 2009 7:45 am

I have booked YYZ-SFO-SYD and then SYD-LAX-YYZ through a travel agent on United - the YYZ-SFO and LAX-YYZ is operated by Air Canada.

When I called United to inquire about upgrades, I was told that my booking code prevented me from that option. For the Air Canada portion, I am on Booking Class S, and for the United portion, I am on Booking Class K.

Can I upgrade the entire trip through United, or do I have to do it separately via United and Air Canada (will consider paying if it's reasonable)?

Second of all, how do I even upgrade with these booking classes? Do I call my travel agent to change the booking code?

Thirdly, can I use a sponsored systemwide upgrade on this trip? If so, will it apply for the entire YYZ-SYD connection or just the SFO-SYD part?

redcastle Dec 4, 2009 3:29 am

Chances of upgrade clearing on UA840

Guys,
Wondering if anyone could give me any insight on the chance of my Business to First upgrade clearing on UA840 (MEL to ORD) for Dec 6. Was given to me by a premier exec level. Have had the request in for over a week now... there seem to be 8 First seats remaining at this point.

Any advice on what to do / not to do. Thanks!

eightblack Dec 4, 2009 4:35 am

You need to be more specific. What status are you? Is your friend sponsoring you via an SWU? Or using miles? What type of J class fare do you hold?

If as you say and there are 8 seats showing (dont be misled by the seat map alone) as it wont count for non-rev pax etc, you should be ok - but it will depend on DOD and how friendly UA's DM system is on the day (and actually how many GS/1K's already sitting in J, want to upgrade to F).

redcastle Dec 4, 2009 4:40 am

Sorry, I am premier and it is being done via a SWU.
I think my booking class is "C".

redcastle Dec 5, 2009 12:16 am

After checking in online earlier today (at th 24hr mark), I have now noticed that I can't see my itenary online now with a message of "We are unable to retrieve your itinerary information at this time. Please try again later."
But,when i go to the online checkin, the flights are there, with the detail showing:
United 840
Not departed
Upgraded flight

Does this mean I have been upgraded??

check9rip Dec 5, 2009 12:19 am

Nope, I think they are just working on the servers... All of my upcoming flights are missing as well...

SEA1K4EVR Dec 5, 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by redcastle (Post 12929373)
After checking in online earlier today (at th 24hr mark), I have now noticed that I can't see my itenary online now with a message of "We are unable to retrieve your itinerary information at this time. Please try again later."
But,when i go to the online checkin, the flights are there, with the detail showing:
United 840
Not departed
Upgraded flight

Does this mean I have been upgraded??

It could mean your upgrade has cleared but it can also just mean your upgrade was requested and not yet cleared.

Generally speaking upgrades from C to F are pretty easy and if there are 8 seats left I'm very confident you will be riding in F.

redcastle Dec 6, 2009 9:06 pm

Ended up getting the upgrade. Thanks all for the advice.

UA Cam Dec 10, 2009 9:33 am

Need assistance determining upgrade options for ORD-SYD in 2010

First post on FT - so forgive me in advance if I breach protocol.

I'm a fairly new business traveler (2+ years) - 1P last year, 1K this year. My wife and I are planning a trip to SYD late next year (September - October time frame). I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to fly us round trip (originating from ORD) in business class.

A few key points:
  • Redeemable miles balance - 200,000
  • System wide upgrades available - 6
  • Would like to pay cash for my economy ticket (I want the EQMs)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

halothane Dec 10, 2009 10:27 am

Only way to 100% know you will be in C is to book two C tickets either with cash or miles.

Many around these parts would book one C ticket with miles and then buy an upgradeable economy ticket and upgrade with miles or SWU.

Good luck and welcome to Flyertalk!

Halothane

UA Cam Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am

Thank you Halothane - I should have added that I'd like to avoid paying cash for even one "C" ticket...

WineCountryUA Dec 10, 2009 11:41 am

if you want to buy economy tickets and upgrade, then there are a few subtopics
- with SWUs, you need to purchase W or higher fares (these have been running in the $1,500-$1,800 (roughly) range from ORD
- miles there will be a copay structure

Upgrades may or may not clear on purchase (recent experience has been few available at purchase). Best if you can find flights and dates that clear in advance

UA Cam Dec 10, 2009 11:53 am

With copays like that who needs enemies.

So far it looks like my best options are:

1. Buying two W (or higher) fares and using 4 SWUs, or

2. Buying one W (or higher) for me, upgrading w/ 2 SWUs and booking my wife's with 135,000 miles (saver)

Does anyone have experience w/ either?

halothane Dec 10, 2009 11:57 am

Have you looked to see if there is C award space for your travel dates?

yyzprincess Dec 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by UA Cam (Post 12962217)
With copays like that who needs enemies.

So far it looks like my best options are:

2. Buying one W (or higher) for me, upgrading w/ 2 SWUs and booking my wife's with 135,000 miles (saver)

Does anyone have experience w/ either?

Welcome.

I do EX: USA-Australia on United every few weeks. I would be happy to share my knwledge.
If you want to this trip to count towards your 2011 Qualification than you have only 1 option buying a revenue ticket.
100% guarantee in C-Cabin, than buy C- Tix. which is expensive EX: USA. EX: Asia dirt cheap.

Next Best option:
Lets go with Coach & SWU as miles does not enhance your chances.

Some hints to have 100% chance of getting the Upgrade using SWU.
1. Do not book the flight EX: ORD.
Split it as 2. .
ORD-SFO
SFO-SYD.
2. W class is the lowest upgradeable fare. If you can spring for higher Coach Class : H or B , you increase your odds of getting confirmed Upgrade earlier.
Having said that, If your YTD BIS miles very way up there than go for "W".
3.If you can travel onn Tuesday or Wednesday in both directions.
I will not post which gateway is the best for those 2 days. PM , I will give you the gateway.
If you can do September. Make sure that the dates do not fall during Australian School Holidays.
In Australia School holidays differ by few days in each state.
Sept/ Oct are months forend of second Term .
Because the School holidays are only 3 weeks, many Australia use these holidays to come to USA.
So be choose your days well.
PM me, I would be please to give you my opinion on the days you should avoid.
If this is your first visit to Australia,you will love it. It is a great country. The Aussies are very friendly and good hosts. I enjoy doing business with them.

drummingcraig Dec 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA Cam (Post 12962217)

Be aware that with scenario, you run the risk of having the upgrade request waitlist which worst case could drag out until departure -or- not clear at all. Then you've wasted the cash on the higher upgradeable fare. You need to verify that there is CONFIRMABLE upgrade space on these flights before you book and then upgrade immediately after purchase.

Finding saver C tickets to Australia can be very tricky. If you're flexible with your travel dates you'll have better luck. And of course the same caveat I posted above would apply to your W ticket.

zrs70 Dec 10, 2009 2:10 pm

One step at a time!

First thing the OP should do is set himself up in expert mode and see if the NC space is available for his dates.

If so, buy two W fares and upgrade on the spot.

If there is both NC and XC space, the OP should decide if he wants to buy one revenue and one mileage ticket.

If there is only one NC spot, or no NC spots, the OP should buy two separate tickets with two PNR's.

As suggested earlier, the OP should not book the direct flight from ORD, but rather a connecting flight.

LBsquared Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

another possible travel impact: the Cycling World Championships are taking place outside Melbourne (official site) September 29 through October 3

mattinsf Dec 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Maximizing success of SWUs SFO/LAX-SYD: Move from W to H/M? 2 PNRs? Use early OLCI?

I'm traveling with a friend to SYD in late January, returning mid February. Departure is LAX-SYD, return is SYD-SFO.

I've purchased two Y tickets, W fare, flying Thursday and Tuesday, using a single PNR. NC for both flights was 0 at time of booking and still is, so we are on the SWU Y-to-C waitlist. Seatcounter shows C9, D9, Z8 for LAX-SYD and C9, D9, Z9 for SYD-SFO.

I've read lots of posts on SWU experiences on these routes, but they are inconclusive. So I'm considering what I can do to improve my odds.

I do not know how much more H or M class would be, which I understand would prioritize our SWUs. I also have read here that EQMs-to-date in the calendar year can help; this year I have 150k+ but I will only have about 6k for 2010 by the time we depart.

I've read conflicting suggestions about SWUs regarding two other factors: 1 versus 2 PNRs and the strategic use of OLCI. As noted, right now my friend and I are on one PNR; I've kept it that way because (a) if we don't get upgraded before DM, I don't want to end up with separate or bad Y seats (I'm 1K and he's 3P), and (b) if I decline the upgrade, I will have to pay more if W class is no longer available. But it seems that many people feel strongly that separate PNRs are the way to go. I guess I'd like to get a better feel for whether that's true and how likely (a) and (b) are.

On the OLCI, if we do not get upgraded before the 24-hour OLCI window, we could check in early. But I understand that some SWUs clear overnight, and also that, if we do use OLCI asap, my friend and I will be separated and I'll jump way ahead of him on the upgrade waitlist on account of my 1K status. That seems less than ideal.

So here are my questions:

(1) Is the upgrade to H or M class worth it in terms of improving my odds? W was already quite expensive.

(2) How much do YTD EQMs matter? Is this used only by the GA, or is it used in processing the PA waitlist? Will be my 2009 EQMs count in this calculation, or just my 2010 EQMs?

(3) Should I split the PNRs? What are the possible adverse consequences of doing so and how likely are they?

(4) Should I use OLCI as early as possible, or wait and hope that the SWUs clear overnight before departure?

Thanks very much.

WineCountryUA Dec 11, 2009 12:49 pm

The waitlist process as FTers understand it for SWUs goes by time on the list (status, fare, ... do not matter).

HOWEVER if you do not clear until DM (4 hours or so before flight time) the list is re-ordered
1) status
2) fare
3) check in time (the reason for early OLCI -- but remember this the just the tie breaker)

Never heard of YTB EQMs making a difference.

A more detailed description in Upgrade_Waitlists_(UA)

The combined versus seperate PNR is as you state you can clear if only 1 seat is available but a risk the second party will not clear.
You could check frequently to see if NC1 occurs and then make the decision.

leech27 Dec 11, 2009 12:50 pm

(1) The only point H or M class would improve your odds is if you have to go to the gate for upgrades. At that point, the waitlist would be sorted by status first, then fare class, then check-in time.

Prior to that, 1Ks, GS, and people sponsored by 1K/GS go on the PA list in the order in which they were added.

(2) YTD EQMs have no effect on this AFAIK.

(3) Generally you should split the PNRs - if 1 seat is released, but you're on the list as a party of 2, it will skip you and find the next single traveler on the waitlist. Splitting the PNR risks the two of you not sitting together or only one of you getting an upgrade.

(4) OLCI as early as possible (it's one of the sorting criteria when upgrades go to the gate).

fadeforward Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

As you state, there are lots of threads on the upgrade waitlist priority order, splitting PNRs, and upgrades clearing after OLCI. Everyone values the risks differently, but the parameters are pretty well established.

Originally Posted by mattinsf (Post 12968474)
(1) Is the upgrade to H or M class worth it in terms of improving my odds? W was already quite expensive.

I would never do this, because I can't afford it. FT conventional wisdom is that the booking class only matters at the gate, around 4 hours before departure, so unless the upgrade situation is already looking really tight, this may never come into play.

(2) How much do YTD EQMs matter? Is this used only by the GA, or is it used in processing the PA waitlist? Will be my 2009 EQMs count in this calculation, or just my 2010 EQMs?

Not at all. Some agents seem to think this is how things are sorted, but almost all evidence and experience points to a FIFO sorting before the gate, and a status, booking class, checkin time sorting at the gate. EQMs only matter to the extent that they are associated with your status at the gate.

(3) Should I split the PNRs? What are the possible adverse consequences of doing so and how likely are they?

Many threads on this. Because your friend has status, I would split.

(4) Should I use OLCI as early as possible, or wait and hope that the SWUs clear overnight before departure?

Many threads on this. I always OLCI 24 hours before departure if I'm still waitlisted for an upgrade. If it clears before the gate, just offload and recheck in at the airport.

yyzprincess Dec 11, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm traveling with a friend to SYD in late January, returning mid February. Departure is LAX-SYD, return is SYD-SFO.

I've purchased two Y tickets, W fare, flying Thursday and Tuesday, using a single PNR. NC for both flights was 0 at time of booking and still is, so we are on the SWU Y-to-C waitlist. Seatcounter shows C9, D9, Z8 for LAX-SYD and C9, D9, Z9 for SYD-SFO.

I've read lots of posts on SWU experiences on these routes, but they are inconclusive. So I'm considering what I can do to improve my odds.

I do not know how much more H or M class would be, which I understand would prioritize our SWUs. I also have read here that EQMs-to-date in the calendar year can help; this year I have 150k+ but I will only have about 6k for 2010 by the time we depart.

I've read conflicting suggestions about SWUs regarding two other factors: 1 versus 2 PNRs and the strategic use of OLCI. As noted, right now my friend and I are on one PNR; I've kept it that way because (a) if we don't get upgraded before DM, I don't want to end up with separate or bad Y seats (I'm 1K and he's 3P), and (b) if I decline the upgrade, I will have to pay more if W class is no longer available. But it seems that many people feel strongly that separate PNRs are the way to go. I guess I'd like to get a better feel for whether that's true and how likely (a) and (b) are.

On the OLCI, if we do not get upgraded before the 24-hour OLCI window, we could check in early. But I understand that some SWUs clear overnight, and also that, if we do use OLCI asap, my friend and I will be separated and I'll jump way ahead of him on the upgrade waitlist on account of my 1K status. That seems less than ideal.

So here are my questions:

Thanks very much.

Almost all flights In & Out of Australia for the next 6 months are NC & XC.
IM is selectively releasing the seats on request bases,they are being realsed.
I would suggest you WL.

1. I would not move up to higher fare level.

2. Lately, when I have requested Upgrades or J Saver Award seats from Australia- YYZ for family during peak Christmas Travel and dates I want, I am asked to put the dates I want on WL, I have beed told the WL will clear due to my high BIS YTD miles.
And I must say, the award seats cleared well in advance for all the dates I wanted. As well as the upgrades on W Fare.

3. End of JAN & Begining of FEB is not Peak Travel Time.
All schools have commenced. Australian Open is not a factor.

4. I would Split the PNR if your friend is not 1K. I would do it even if He/She was 1K . My 2 cents.

5. I never do OLCI for Australia so I cannot answer that one.

mattinsf Dec 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Wow, you guys know your stuff. It's amazing how ignorant I've been for so long. Thanks for all the really helpful info.

I have two followup questions. First, it seems the consensus among the replies is to split the PNRs, and that our different statuses (1K/3P) won't matter on the PA waitlist. My question: will splitting the PNRs change the effective date of being added to the waitlist (i.e., will we move lower on the waitlist)?

Also, fadeforward, you state: "I always OLCI 24 hours before departure if I'm still waitlisted for an upgrade. If it clears before the gate, just offload and recheck in at the airport." What does "offload" mean? I thought that once you use OLCI, you're checked in?

Again, thanks.

Ripper3785 Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mattinsf (Post 12968702)
Also, fadeforward, you state: "I always OLCI 24 hours before departure if I'm still waitlisted for an upgrade. If it clears before the gate, just offload and recheck in at the airport." What does "offload" mean? I thought that once you use OLCI, you're checked in?

Again, thanks.

You can cancel check-in in OLCI. That's what he means by offload.

fadeforward Dec 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 12968878)
You can cancel check-in in OLCI. That's what he means by offload.

Right, or, if OLCI doesn't let you cancel checkin, "offload and recheckin" is the key phrase you need to tell the checkin or gate agents so that they can "see" your upgrade. Whenever you clear off of IM while checked in, this issue can occur. It's never been a problem for me to resolve:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-merged.html

As to your other question, I don't believe that splitting moves you to the end of the waitlist, but I don't have any personal experience with the matter. The key is whether they cancel and reapply the upgrade in a split, and I don't think they do. This one could be consequential, so treat carefully. Certainly if you see NC1, split immediately. If it hasn't been that long since you've booked, you could split without too much risk of dropping. I defer to others here.

leech27 Dec 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mattinsf (Post 12968702)

Again, thanks.

To add onto fadeforward's info - you can always cancel your check-in, whether it's via OLCI or via a check-in agent at the airport. Then it's a simple matter of checking in again and presumably getting your C seat :).

raidersfan1 Dec 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 12968633)
Almost all flights In & Out of Australia for the next 6 months are NC & XC.
IM is selectively releasing the seats on request bases,they are being realsed.
I would suggest you WL.

1. I would not move up to higher fare level.

2. Lately, when I have requested Upgrades or J Saver Award seats from Australia- YYZ for family during peak Christmas Travel and dates I want, I am asked to put the dates I want on WL, I have beed told the WL will clear due to my high BIS YTD miles.
And I must say, the award seats cleared well in advance for all the dates I wanted. As well as the upgrades on W Fare.

3. End of JAN & Begining of FEB is not Peak Travel Time.
All schools have commenced. Australian Open is not a factor.

4. I would Split the PNR if your friend is not 1K. I would do it even if He/She was 1K . My 2 cents.

5. I never do OLCI for Australia so I cannot answer that one.

Just had a question to what you meant by "IM is selectively releasing the seats on request bases,they are being realsed." I have sponsored SWUs in April on SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO for my parents (no status) with NC=0 for both and C=9. Both of my parent's seats have waitlisted. Outbound is on a Wed and inbound is on a Tuesday. Booked them with W Fare. Looking at seat map, only 10 seats assigned on the outbound and 11 seat on the inbound. My wife and I are already on same flights as XC. Have tried calling 1K desk to see if IM would release SWU but consistently told that they are not supposed to call over to IM. Tips? Keep in mind, I am a newbie.

UAaddict Dec 30, 2009 8:16 am

SFO-SYD upgrade strategies

hey all you UA experts out there,

My partner and I will be flying to SYD via SFO in Feb. I am 1K, he is 1P, but will become 1K after a flight today. I requested upgrades with SWU's (bought the tickets in W fare) two months ago when I purchased the tickets, but not surprisingly, the upgrades have not cleared yet. I think our chances are not good, since the C cabin is already 50% sold out on both legs, and there are still 40 days before we depart.

To maximize our chance of getting an upgrade, would it make sense to split our PNR's into two seperate PNR's, assuming that UA releases their NC seats one seat at a time prior to departure? Our reservation is booked under one PNR now. If I call the 1K line and request it, will they split it into two seperate PNR's? will that increase our chance of upgrades? or would that just put us further down in the priority waitlist - assuming that they might have to put in an upgrade request from scratch if I were to split the PNR's into two PNR's?

Thank you in advance for all your insights!

denverhockeyguy Dec 30, 2009 9:49 am

If you believe in conventional FT wisdom, splitting the PNR will help.

That said, there is more and more evidence stating that everything is status and fare, independent of PNR. If your friend makes 1K this week, have him call UA and update his ITIN after his status posts to make sure it reflects his status (should happen automatically, but for a flight like this I would call anyway).

MarkedMan Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

I've gone both ways in flights to LHR, single PNR, split PNR. The split PNR I did this last time, since with the cancellation of a number of flights to Europe this winter, upgrades have gotten tough. That said, both upgrades cleared on the same day, Christmas evening - perhaps UA anticipating fewer late bookings in light of events on the day, this was also three weeks out of the flight itself.

I've always cleared LHR when I've booked well in advance, but LHR is easier than many IMO. First off, I'd split it if you are OK with one of you being in Y while the other is in C. Now ... one of you should be able to keep the original PNR and UG request. Ask how many people are waitlisting. The second will almost certainly show up as a brand new rez, with brand new u/g request, so they will drop down. I've done this splitting before when I had to make some potential date changes to one of the two passengers' dates. Was not an issue. YMMV

eightblack Dec 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by UAaddict (Post 13079835)
hey all you UA experts out there,

My partner and I will be flying to SYD via SFO in Feb. I am 1K, he is 1P, but will become 1K after a flight today. I requested upgrades with SWU's (bought the tickets in W fare) two months ago when I purchased the tickets, but not surprisingly, the upgrades have not cleared yet. I think our chances are not good, since the C cabin is already 50% sold out on both legs, and there are still 40 days before we depart.

To maximize our chance of getting an upgrade, would it make sense to split our PNR's into two seperate PNR's, assuming that UA releases their NC seats one seat at a time prior to departure? Our reservation is booked under one PNR now. If I call the 1K line and request it, will they split it into two seperate PNR's? will that increase our chance of upgrades? or would that just put us further down in the priority waitlist - assuming that they might have to put in an upgrade request from scratch if I were to split the PNR's into two PNR's?

Thank you in advance for all your insights!

This is a tough one as SFO is very elite heavy. When are you specifically travelling ie midweek or weekend? The business travellers will be well and truly back on deck by then, so if you itin was flexible, I would avoid the days that these guys typically depart to SYD (ie Fri/Sat night, which gets them there Sun/Mon morning).

Have you also checked loads ex LAX?

I just flew out of SFO (to HKG) but this was on 12/27 and there 19-seats available. We flew out full in J but I reckon just about everyone who wanted an upgrade got it. I was travelling with my family (wife+2 kids). I had split our res into 2 sep PNR's and my son and I cleared 4 days out and wife and daughter cleared around 20-mins prior to departure! (Wife is a lowly 3P).

When I enquired at the gate, she was 8th on the list.

I am convinced that this will come down to DM. Stay positive. If you want to sit together, then keep the res as is (single PNR), because if your upgrade requests ends up going to DM, then the system will look at status of both, fare paid, time added etc.

Just ensure that your partners 1K status is updated on the reservation.

IME, the SFO staff do things by the book - so you have to let the system do its thing on day of departure.

bharucfd Jan 8, 2010 3:32 pm

Honeymoon queries

Hi!

I am flying from LHR to SYD via LAX and back in September. We are booked in Q and we booked the flights in November, so 10 months ahead and I applied SWU to all in November as well

My questions are
1) what is the probabilty we will clear all legs in advance (only 1 has cleared so far LHR-LAX)
2) should i bump us up to a higher booking class
3) there is 1 NC for the SYD-LAX flight. I am 1K and the fiance is Premier Exec. Should i break us up and snatch the seat or is there no point.

any advice would be helpful as i can imagine doing this in economy. as soon as we land in SYD, we get right back on the plane and head to PPT via AKL with no break.

SEA1K4EVR Jan 8, 2010 3:35 pm

Definitely split the PNR's and snag that one available seat. Splitting the PNR's improves both of your chances of clearing on all legs because only 1 seat at a time needs to become available. If you're on the same PNR 2 seats have to open up together.

As for the overall odds you'll both eventually clear... that's anyone's guess. If you end up with some legs where one has cleared and the other hasn't you can keep things as is or the one who cleared can downgrade at the gate.

bharucfd Jan 8, 2010 3:42 pm

so if i split up the PNR numbers, my fiance will lose the 1K priority correct and be put at premier exec status? also will we lose our alreaady cleared upgrade?

thanks!

SEA1K4EVR Jan 8, 2010 3:44 pm

You will not lose your already cleared upgrades if the PNR is split and your fiance's lower status won't make any difference unless the upgrades come down to an at-the-gate decision. But, I would probably give him/her the available SYD-LAX upgrade that is currently available just so they have that one in the bank and you can waitilist yourself for that one.

ua_to_ord Jan 8, 2010 5:27 pm

Have you considered whether there is NC availability on LHR-SFO-SYD, and if so, whether it might make sense to bear the costs of re-ticketing on that routing?

prestonh Jan 8, 2010 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 13142257)
You will not lose your already cleared upgrades if the PNR is split and your fiance's lower status won't make any difference unless the upgrades come down to an at-the-gate decision. But, I would probably give him/her the available SYD-LAX upgrade that is currently available just so they have that one in the bank and you can waitilist yourself for that one.

+1

I would stay routed through LAX, usually better NC availability on DOD. I cleared on a W fare last spring both ways 1 week prior and that was when much more people were paying for C.