Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Int'l Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:03 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Yes, that is a glitch on the UA web site's pricing method. If you call reservations, they will tell you Intl C class travels in F class on a domestic portion when the plane is a two class aircraft.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but the actual service product (not the seats) in domestic transcon F (2 cabin) is superior to Int'l C. And overall (your flight may vary), the cabin crews are less likely to have a "utilitarian efficiency" in their manner of service in domestic F. I find that on some int'l C flights, the service carts down the aisle manner of service sometimes leads to poor execution and timing of service.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Not sure if they run 777s left coast to LHR and if they do that to me is a smarter bet over any 767 C seat. AFAIK there are no 747 flights that route, which is better again. In certain seats.
</font>
I wonder what sort of coffee you are drinking oz??? SFO/LAX-LHR are all 777, and summer next year may well see LAX-LHR upgrade to a 744(but that is in the lap of the gods). As for the seat issue, the 767-300ER C class seat is identical to the 777 C class seat. Perhaps you mean the 762 transcon C seat, which yes is crap, but that aircraft/config would never fly to LHR anyway. IIRC the only 763 LHR flights are BOS and 1 of the JFK's and the early IAD.

I do agree though that I would go for SAN-LAX or SAN-SFO to connect to the longhaul 777 sectors to LHR (and return) thus maximising the time (out of total travel time) you would spend in the nice 777 C cabin.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
UA uses both 747s and 777s between SFO and LHR. I usually prefer the upper deck of the 747, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 777--they are the same seats and the service is the same.

I actually find the seats in international business more comfortable than the seats in international first if I am trying to sit. In general, I find the seat to be more ergonomic, and I can adjust the footrests to any configuration that I like. The FC seats have some programable interface that doesn't allow me to get the foot rests in the best position for me. It doesn't let you adjust the footrest angle and extension completely independent of each other. I often like to use a shorter extension on the footrest to bend my knees than the FC seats allow.

Of course for sleeping, the FC seats win hands down as they fold into a flat bed and they have a better pillow configuration. Also, there are no issues about window and aisle seats--every seat is an isle seat.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Originally posted by WilliamTheTraveler:
You should be able to get first class on flights out of SAN on an upgrade award for the domestic leg of your trip, except for up to LAX on United Express. I fly SAN-IAD-AMS and the domestic portion is First Class. Once you hit the 777 at IAD though, you will love it. Nice plane, good seats, good service, etc.</font>
How come you didn't connect via SFO or LAX so you'll be on an international J configured 777 sooner? I would take that option so you minimize the time on domestic F.
All this said, and having done a few Left Coast-Europe RT's over the years, as well as dozens of East Coast to Europe flights, I think you should try and do your connection to either LAX or SFO, as opposed to IAD or NYC. Getting the 8 hours of sleep vs. the 4 hours from the East Coast makes a huge difference, in my opinion, adding an extra day to your trip.

Regarding the wine in Int'l C, yeah it really sucks. Hess Select ($7/bottle) being the most upscale...really poor. There are a lot of things UAL could improve, but relatively speaking, the wine is probably the worst component of the whole C product for UA. I guess they think we don't know any better. It's one of those things that very few customers are going to complain to FA's about, so as to not sound like a@s-holes, but I think I'm not the only one who sighs when they bring the cart around...
Old Jun 30, 2002, 10:45 pm

My two cents:

If you're booking award seats, consider using 100k for a First Suite in lieu of 80k for Business. Small difference in miles for a much better seat.

I just completed an SFO / LHR / SFO flight in F on a 777. It seemed to me that for only 20,000 more miles, the extra room and fully horizontal sleep program was worth it . . . especially from SFO to LHR where the sleep seems more critical.

I was able to book these two award seats nearly four months in advance.

C is certainly plenty comfortable, but if you can spare the extra miles, try it out.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 4:55 am
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dawg:
My two cents:

If you're booking award seats, consider using 100k for a First Suite in lieu of 80k for Business. Small difference in miles for a much better seat.

I just completed an SFO / LHR / SFO flight in F on a 777. It seemed to me that for only 20,000 more miles, the extra room and fully horizontal sleep program was worth it . . . especially from SFO to LHR where the sleep seems more critical.

I was able to book these two award seats nearly four months in advance.

C is certainly plenty comfortable, but if you can spare the extra miles, try it out.
</font>
Waitlisting for Int'l F has been mentioned...will UA allow me to book C class award but waitlist for F if no F inventory exists at that point?
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
As of yesterday, no.
Compare to ANA and JAL whose C wines are much better than UA's F (except Don Perignon).
</font>
On an AMS-IAD 777, they had a 98 Chianti Classico in C that was as good as any red I've had on UA in years. The rest of the options were less interesting.

Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:19 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TarHeelFlyer:

Regarding the wine in Int'l C, yeah it really sucks. Hess Select ($7/bottle) being the most upscale...really poor. There are a lot of things UAL could improve, but relatively speaking, the wine is probably the worst component of the whole C product for UA. I guess they think we don't know any better. It's one of those things that very few customers are going to complain to FA's about, so as to not sound like a@s-holes, but I think I'm not the only one who sighs when they bring the cart around...
</font>
The wine isn't the only thing which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I used to think the seat was the only thing I really cared much about. I'll agree that the C+ seat is great (particularly upper deck on a 747). However, the horrible inconsistency of UA's service and seeming contempt for business passengers is really getting to me. I can't help but notice the huge difference in attitude, which leaves me feeling much better about the overall experience, when I fly most foreign carriers.

I'd also be happier if C+ were universally available. I suffered my last trip (last week) on the trans-pac 777 one way and a 767-200 on part of my return.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 11:20 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikel51:
UA uses both 747s and 777s between SFO and LHR.</font>
Nope. 777s only.

As for 777 vs. 763 (Intl.) - Remember the 777 seats are quite a bit wider in C. And the F seats on the 763 aren't suites.

And yes; you can Book O Class [Award C] and waitlist for R Class [Award F]. For 10k each way it's worth it IMHO.

Regards,
Alex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.