Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drinks and checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2002, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: These views are my own and do not represent the views of United Airlines
drinks and checkpoints

when did all this start.....no drinks through the checkpoints except plastic bottles that can be closed and xrayed....no more mcdonalds cups or starbucks...was this printed in the paper at all, or on cnn... it took lots of people at work by surprise...
Old Jun 23, 2002, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

vetoing OPENED bottles/containers is the usual rule.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 12:24 am

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cdayind:
when did all this start.....no drinks through the checkpoints except plastic bottles that can be closed and xrayed....no more mcdonalds cups or starbucks...was this printed in the paper at all, or on cnn... it took lots of people at work by surprise...</font>
What airport(s) did you discover this to be the case? In my experience, it varies from airport to airport.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 6:17 am
fparker1

i saw the sign at ont for the first time on 6/24/02

------------------
f

Old Jun 25, 2002, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I saw a sign at DAL on 6/24/02. It said something like "No beverages through the security checkpoint." There was no distinction between opened or unopened, bottles or cups.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 3:06 pm
cnk

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
I saw a sign at DAL on 6/24/02. It said something like "No beverages through the security checkpoint." There was no distinction between opened or unopened, bottles or cups.</font>
So there's an unopened bottle of Aquafina is verbotten, yet an opened bottle of shampoo or conditioner is ok. What kind of prohibited items can you smuggle on in a beverage that you can't smuggle on in some other bottle?

Something I'd seen before, which seems fairly logical, is to require that everything goes through x-ray (i.e., no walking through carrying something). But anything that could spill gets dumped in the trash to avoid spilling inside the machine.

cnk
Old Jun 25, 2002, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Is my bottle of wine for a gift a beverage? They are not taking that away!

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jun 25, 2002, 6:39 pm
fparker1

Patrick Henry also said "i smell a rat" after the war when the states were forming and he walked away. typical rabblerouser

------------------
f

Old Jun 25, 2002, 7:35 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
Does anyone know if the signs represent not carrying a container through the scanner or items in a carryon bag that is scanned. I think it is probably more likely the first and not the second. I have not seen any list that says liquid containers not carrying prohibited contents are proscribed.

------------------
Robert
Old Jun 25, 2002, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I think it's high time the TSA came out with a definitive statement about what is, and what is not, allowed in carryon luggage, and address the drink situation raised in this thread.

I think some of the problems are being caused by individual stations making up their own rules.

John

------------------
From a kiwi who can fly!
Old Jun 25, 2002, 8:59 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Well, at least we've been warned.

So much for Starbucks before the security gates.

Is this part of the "new war on terror"?

Is this a policy of the TSA?
Old Jun 26, 2002, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
That Starbucks cup could be full of Nitro. Don't you folks realise that? Or Anthrax. Or a cruise missile. It is for YOUR safety they do these things, so quiet down please.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 8:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Won't someone PLEASE think of the children???

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
That Starbucks cup could be full of Nitro. Don't you folks realise that? Or Anthrax. Or a cruise missile. It is for YOUR safety they do these things, so quiet down please. </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jun 26, 2002, 8:26 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
I have experienced this a few places - and like most things I think people are blowing it out of scope.

They allow beverages/bottles what ever - in the carry one bags. As long as it can go through the XRAY - including bottled water /soda / sippy cups for kids etc that can be re-closed etc.

I think the only thing that is "not allowed" is opened food/beverage that is not in the XRAY - like a can of coke or open coffee etc.

90% of the airports I have been too - food is available before and after "security" or after "security". Rarely have I been unable to buy something/wait to buy something - until after I went through "security" (quoted for emphasis and sarcasm).

Of course -- like all things - in time this will change. Most of the security after the attacks that was put in place - will be removed. Close in parking is back, curbside is back, the airlines are pushing to remove gate security searches... in time we go back to what we expect - and no less. Just an observation...
Old Jun 26, 2002, 10:06 am

A newspaper link to more info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.