Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel, booking close to departure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2002, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Award Travel, booking close to departure

Here's a question I'm hoping that somebody may have an answer to. How close to departure (especially on International), is it possible to book (online particularly) an award seat, assuming inventory is available.

With both domestic and international award and upgrade availability now accesible on ual.com, has anyone noticed when/if UA adds more seats to the those buckets close to departure?

John
Old Jun 28, 2002, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K UA MM
I noticed many seats being added about 1 week before departure on an international flight I was monitoring. The numbers then seemed to fluctuate daily. Another hint, don't assume that if there are NC seats that there will be XY seats. In other words, do you search by the class you really want, not a lower class as I saw cases where there we many XF/NF/XC/NC seats but NO coach award seats.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about online at the last moment, but you can phone at the last minute and you can even walk right up to the gate and use your miles if space is available. One of the nicer things about Mileage Plus AutoCerts.

I will advise that you don't rely on just the web site for award availablity.

Many times the web says no, yet the phone folks say yes.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Just got back from the CTO---trying to change a saver award booked in Jan for a Sept flight to an earlier one. I'm waitlisted, but was advised to call in regularly and that normally more award seats become available one month out. Makes it kind of tense, doesn't it?
Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
I will advise that you don't rely on just the web site for award availablity.</font>
I know that the old PDA/web-based software was buggy and often gave incorrect award availability, but I presume that the new ual.com interface should be tied into the same system as the reservation agents see. At least that is what some recent posters seem to have indicated. Anyone with more recent experience care to comment on this?

John
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope.

The web site codes are still buggy.

Had an example just this week. Web has a goose egg in Business, but phone says "sure!" on the exact same flights.

Plus, I've also found the web does not always give you all of the flight options to destination.

But I will repeat that sometimes the reverse is true! Phone sez no but the web has space.

So...don't rely on only one source if you really want that Saver Award/Upgrade space. Use both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.