Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United, way behind Continental in many ways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm

I have flown over 800,000 miles in the last 3 years with CO. When CO announced the switch to Star Alliance, I decided to check out United. I fly mainly from Hkg to Iah.

I have now booked 3 DEQM HKG to IAH flights which will put me over 100,000 EQM's to reach 1K status.

Either I have had a very bad streak of luck, or the UA reservations people are the most incompetent and rude that I have ever had to deal with.

The UA web site does not come close to matching Continental's.

MP help line is outsourced and cannot really answer many questions because their compuiters don't have reservation information. How dumb is that?

United Airlines, Wednesday Thursday Friday is your problem?

I am sorry if I have offended any FT'ers, But I just had to vent.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P
sorry to hear that.

on the other hand, we love our E+ :P.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: PMUA
After dealing with US Airways for couple years, every other airline customer service/reservation is great! I had never flown on Continental or dealt with them, but I seriously can't imagine that their service is that superior over UAL. United is not perfect, but I would say decent compared to other airlines in the USA.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by kenziid3
I have now booked 3 DEQM HKG to IAH flights which will put me over 100,000 EQM's to reach 1K status.

Either I have had a very bad streak of luck, or the UA reservations people are the most incompetent and rude that I have ever had to deal with.

MP help line is outsourced and cannot really answer many questions because their compuiters don't have reservation information. How dumb is that?
If you are not 1P or above you will usually get routed to the ICC, once you get higher status you will be routed (usually) to better CSR's.

The UA web site does not come close to matching Continental's.
Thats why we call it .bomb...... originally UA led airlines in the IT dept. now it is just a very sad website. IME, E+ makes up for the websites shortcomings.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Sounds like "many ways" means indian call center and website?

Indian Call Center - I agree.

Website - it's better than many... worse than a few as well.

But it seems like if you really had to vent, it would be about the flying experience... not customer service / website. How has the flying compared?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Easy way to solve your problem

Just don't fly UA. Stick with CO, and you'll be happy.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Maybe try the *real* MP help line. It's outsourced, too, and their computers won't have access to your UA reservation, but otherwise it's great. It's called FT
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Question confused by one line in OP

....MP help line is outsourced and cannot really answer many questions because their compuiters don't have reservation information. How dumb is that?

United Airlines, Wednesday Thursday Friday is your problem?

I am sorry if I have offended any FT'ers, But I just had to vent.
Confused by the statement I have highlighted in bold. What are you trying to communicate?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for listening to my rant and not coming down too hard on me.

As for the positives, UAL does have more comfortable seats in E+, and the inflight service was just as good on the 1 RT flight I have flown thus far.

I might add that the replies so far on the UA thread have been kinder than the the treatment I would have recieved from the CO thread.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: OP Platinum, UA 1K
I fly both UA and CO, and I really haven't noticed that much of a difference.

Granted I don't usually have problems, but I got a quick response from UA support when I asked for comped 1P from my CO status. I also have gotten just as good in-person responses from GAs, although a couple of GAs from UA have been a little snooty.

Overall, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I still prefer United because of E+ for international and the ability to upgrade with certificates.

If I was flying domestic only, I would definitely be only CO.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

To ORD4R , it stands for What The (fornication), which will probably be blocked out. I have calmed down considerably since my rant. Again, apologies to anyone I might have offended.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
One thing jumps out. The OP is comparing his experience with CO's elite traveler's phone support to UA's basic, non-status phone service from the Indian Call Center. When the OP is 1K (or even 1P) he will undoubtedly see a significant improvement.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
One thing jumps out. The OP is comparing his experience with CO's elite traveler's phone support to UA's basic, non-status phone service from the Indian Call Center. When the OP is 1K (or even 1P) he will undoubtedly see a significant improvement.
brilliant! I totally missed that.. Try calling basic CO, I bet it won't be pretty.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
To ORD4R , it stands for What The (fornication), which will probably be blocked out. I have calmed down considerably since my rant. Again, apologies to anyone I might have offended.
Thanks for the clarification, I had never seen that and will have to remember it as a good way of expressing that thought.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:33 pm
Suspended

i read the OP post, and i'm confused as to exactly what the problem was? perhaps some details or specifics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.