Wiki Posts
Search

US vs. Europe address for MP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
US vs. Europe address for MP?

I have just moved to the Netherlands to attend school, and am wondering if I should change the address for my Mileage Plus account to my new European address? I still have the option of sending mail to my US address though.

I am wondering if there are any different (better or worse) offers for European residents vs. US residents, or different benefits for Premiers? I have been 1P for the last 7 or 8 years, but will likely only be 2P next year.

Any insights from members who have experience with both European and US sides of MP are welcome! (And yes, I did do a search for this but didn't find relevant results).
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Don´t think there´s a big difference. Years ago the non-US members got free RCC membership from 1P upwards. Nowadays I recall some slight difference in the Choice Rewards Program. Bad thing for non-US based MP members is the absense of these mileage accruing Credit Cards .

F.R.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The Elite Choice is slightly more limited for us non-US based members, but that largely reflects UA not offering things which are not relevant to those living abroad.

As it happens, certainly in the UK, there is a mileage earning credit card (from Amex, I think) but the offer is very weak - there's an annual charge for it, which is unusual in the UK, where generous cash back cards with no charge are easy to get. In any event, credit card offers are determined by the card issuer, not UA.

For those of us with an address in both locations, you have to look at the bank's rules and they will probably determine your residence by reference to your tax residence - ie are you claiming to your home state that you are no longer resident.

This does have some relevance to UA, however, because when you book flights you can only use the site in the country where your credit card registered address is. You may find it convenient to have a US card and a Dutch card as flight prices can be inexplicably different and offers may be limited to one country of the other (for example UK-US fares seemed cheaper than US-UK fares for much of this summer).

As far as I can see, whether you book on the US site or an overseas site, it doesn't seem to make any difference to your MP account. So, I would keep it in the US to get the wider Elite Choice and accept your membership pack might take longer to reach you.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
It is easier to get systemwide dollar off vouchers as compensation when you have an international address.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:53 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Don´t think there´s a big difference. Years ago the non-US members got free RCC membership from 1P upwards. Nowadays I recall some slight difference in the Choice Rewards Program. Bad thing for non-US based MP members is the absense of these mileage accruing Credit Cards .

F.R.
Non-US based UA*Gs don't have RCC access on domestic itineraries any more (not necessarily in the form of RCC membership, but access with *G cards)?

Besides credit cards, aren't some promotions limited to certain geographic areas?

LAX
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
You might miss out on some important promos if you are not US resident - such as last year's DEQM which was limited to the US members.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

As it happens, certainly in the UK, there is a mileage earning credit card (from Amex, I think) but the offer is very weak - there's an annual charge for it, which is unusual in the UK, where generous cash back cards with no charge are easy to get. In any event, credit card offers are determined by the card issuer, not UA.
There is no annual fee for the UK MBNA AMEX card.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgsx
It is easier to get systemwide dollar off vouchers as compensation when you have an international address.
Or just simply tell them you travel mostly internationally - or better yet, fake a non-American accent
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: 1K no more
I'm not sure most replies understand your choices. You're not UK you're Netherlands and imho there is no way you should give up your US address I am in Belgium temporarily and far prefer the US MP membership than I would the foreign one. There are many post on FT by foreign members lamenting the restricitions they have vs US members. Plus that will be banking and access issues in the EU that you don't have at home. In my view moving your address would be a big mistake.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
All - thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply to my question! RCC membership for 1P would have been great, but no more. I guess all of your advice leads me to keep my address where it is.

lhrsfo - Thanks for the tip about checking fares on both the US and Dutch websites!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by LAX
Non-US based UA*Gs don't have RCC access on domestic itineraries any more (not necessarily in the form of RCC membership, but access with *G cards)?
I didn´t talk about the entry-rules for lounges. I received an anually RCC membership from about 1999-2003 or so. That was additional to all the *G privileges.

F.R.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Address Change US->UK?

First, let me apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I searched without success.

I am looking at the possibility of taking a short-term assignment in the UK and am thinking about the possible advantages (and disadvantages) of changing my MP mailing address during my stay. Would this impact anything meaningful -- GS qualification, promos, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.