Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Fall/Winter 2009 DEQM - will UA match?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by milepig
Well, seeing as I just bought TPAC and TATL trips, my guess is YES.
The AA offer this time, is that previous ticketed reservations will be valid for the promo, and if UA matches, it will likely be the same.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Not going to happen ... WHY?

Because I have a round trip on UA from IAD to SYD starting next Monday, so I'm sure I'm not going to actually get DEQMs for that ... I just don't have that kind of luck!

Or, alternatively, they won't give DEQMs on past bookings.

Or, they won't give DEQM's until September 22nd, when I return.

maybe I'll luck out.

I would be the closest to 1K I've ever been, if so. But still don't know if I'd actually do enough additional flying this year to top it off.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:11 am

This has nothing to do with "devaluing" anything. This is about trying to regain/keep biz travelers. Elite travel must have dropped off the cliff, at least on AA.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:16 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
What specifically has been devalued?
I think 'devalued' means things like this:

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
this will create a LOT of 1K's...
Originally Posted by myperks
my asia trip in nov will allow me to rise to 1P for the first time after many years as a lowly 2P
Originally Posted by goalie
or in my case, get it back as i sure do miss being a 1k
Not knocking those specifically posted here--I do 'root' for fellow FTers to get higher status, and hope you folks can all move up, but we're just a microcosm of the rest of the MP pool. I'm 100% on upgrades this year...I doubt that will be the case next year or as long as they run this.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Says the guy who already has 1K wrapped up.
With 100,000 BIS miles this year. (Okay, just a hair under, but had 2 paid A fares this year that put me at 100,000 with the EQM bonus relating to the fare paid).

All bets are off if the number of 1Ks has dropped SO MUCH that 2009 > 2010 1Ks after all this, which is entirely possible.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Hrmm, I wonder if my Tpac flight tomorrow will count. Are these promo's usually register before you fly to qualify?

I didn't think I had a shot @ 175K EQMs for the elite choice, but I might now... nice!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I'm 100% on upgrades this year...I doubt that will be the case next year or as long as they run this.
You can't do any better with upgrades so there is no place to go but down.

The old saying "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse."
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
At this point, whatever it takes for UA to survive is okay by me.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Wow. This is pretty unreal. I'm doing semi-MRs over the next 2 weekends to get to 2P before my transpac in December, but depending on if/when UA matches this, I may get 1P or be just short of it (excuse for another MR!).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:30 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I doubt the dilution would be that bad as compared to recent years. One would have to assume that legacy carriers are seeing major cutbacks in travel.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I think 'devalued' means things like this:

Not knocking those specifically posted here--I do 'root' for fellow FTers to get higher status, and hope you folks can all move up, but we're just a microcosm of the rest of the MP pool. I'm 100% on upgrades this year...I doubt that will be the case next year or as long as they run this.
People here will go great lengths to retain elite status vs the average biz traveler.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Therefore, I must now find an excuse to blow 1 more weekend somewhere. I'm thinking that new nonstop MCI-SFO is lookin' good...
on a crj...eeewww
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Ugh... more 1K lites...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I find it a bit unbelievable, but I am almost certain that UA will match it. Personally, I am about 550 miles from 1K right now, so it won't do anything for me. I am not going for 150K EQM, and I won't be going for status on AA.

I think AA looked at their inventory for post Labor Day to pre-Thanksgiving and saw a big hole of empty seats. Dilution to elite status will be minimal, if any, because corporate travel has gone down a lot in 2009. People on FT are NOT representative of the traveling public.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:44 am

I suspect AA is also hoping to poach top elites from other carriers who have already qualified for top elite on their carrier of choice and are now ripe for the picking. Carriers that don't match will be sitting ducks.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
As a counter-point, I have about 125k EQMs this year, and have another 16k booked. DEQMs would cause me to NOT book extra trips to reach 150k and the next set of SWU's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.