Community
Wiki Posts
Search

increased mileage redemption costs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2002, 8:07 am
jaf
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
increased mileage redemption costs

i heard a rumor that united may be increasing the number of miles it takes to get a free flight. has anyone else heard anything (more) about this?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Many times in frequent flyer program history, right after a plethora of bonus miles has been given, one of the airlines usually raises some mileage award level (or reduces or restricts a benefit, like the elimination of the 2 person awards).

With the huge across-the-board double miles promotion (recent Summer From Hell bonus, post 9-11 bonus, etc) or other repeated double, route, or plateau bonuses that have been continually handed out, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

Given the current economic conditions at United, I personally think it would be foolish timing-wise to be the first and "lead the way" on this right now as it would upset current customers. But if they expect others to quickly follow (or perhaps are just going to follow someone's upcoming lead themselves), it could happen.

Personally, I think we might have at least through the end of the year before they do something like this, if they do anything at all.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or they can selectively lower the mileage redemption fee for awards, as they did with the Saver Award Sale in Q4, 2001.

Sale begins October 4. End date varies based on destination.
Enjoy Saver awards for fewer miles. For a limited time, Mileage PlusŪ members can redeem select Saver awards for fewer miles. Fly to multiple destinations, including within the continental U.S. for 15,000 miles, or to Europe from the U.S. for 35,000 miles. Award sale applies to United Saver Awards only. Sale does not apply to upgrade awards or to Standard Awards. Offer valid for award travel beginning 10/4/01. Travel must be complete by the dates shown. Capacity-control restrictions apply. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.