Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in at MRY - chaos or sleepyville?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Check-in at MRY - chaos or sleepyville?

The last time I checked in at White Plains, NY, airport, which I think is about the same size as Monterey, CA's, it was a disaster: no first class check in line, very understaffed check-in counter, security lines a mile long, and no curbside check-in (which must be a recent development, since I remember that option being available last year). It was a holiday weekend, so maybe it was busier than normal, and we almost missed our flight.

I'm taking the 6:00 am MRY-DEN flight on Labor Day weekend. Should I expect the same chaos, or is MRY still the sleepy airport I remember from 20 years ago? Does UA at least have curbside check-in? What about elite lines for check-in and security?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:05 am

Not usually checking bags, so can't comment on most, but I've had TSA lines that have been incredibly quick and incredibly long (IIRC, there was no elite line). But it's been awhile, so things may have changed since last year.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA 2 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Premier
It's still sleepy by my standards but its relative. MRY is no longer a UA station it is now UAX. There is no curbside check-in. There is occassionally a porter hanging around outside that you can give your bags to.

The lines for check-in can be long (10-15 minutes) at 6am. There are no elite lines. Security moves pretty fast.

The check-in counters are 20-30 feet from where you will be dropped off. The security/gates are 100 feet from the check-in counters. If you walk slow it might take you 2 minutes.

The check-in kiosks are awkwardly placed in front of the counters and most times very few people use them so don't wait in the regular check-in line and work your way up to the kiosks if there doesn't seem to be a separate line for them.

I usually get to the airport 30-45 minutes before departure depending if I have bags or printed my BP online. MRY is one of the easiest stations to get thru. Don't fret.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:17 am

I have to agree -- MRY is about the quickest and lowest pressure station on the entire UA system. Just be sure to have a boarding pass in advance, or walk up to a vacant machine -- as the previous poster states, the placement of the machines completely baffles most of the customers, who therefore don't use them. Security is a snap -- one gets the idea the TSA folks also run the airport hot dog stand and sell newspapers -- the entire airport is hardly larger than your living room, yet somehow far more relaxed than SBA, which is a similar size.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Thanks for the replies. If you check in online, is there a separate line for dropping bags off? As for the odd location of the kiosks, I assume they aren't near any obvious baggage-accepting counter -- so what's the next step after checking in at a kiosk, if you have a bag to check? Does someone come out to tag it?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, SPG Plat
6 AM is the only time that MRY can be chaotic. Multiple UA flights (DEN, SFO), US Air (PHX) means around 150 pax in the terminal at that time. Waits for UA can be 15-20 minutes max if you need to speak with an agent.

To avoid waiting around, I don't print the BP in advance - Mr. Chicken is almost always a walk up situation. No separate bag drop but Mr. Chicken generates a bag tag on their side and they will be calling your name within a minute or two.

TSA seems to staff for it properly so that part moves pretty quickly - perhaps 5 minutes max. While speedy, I must say that TSA seems to be better than most in catching stuff that you may have left in your bag inadvertently - so pack carefully.

All in all, the speed and friendliness of the whole MRY operation is one of the big reasons I don't drive up to SFO or SJC to start my trips. Very pleasant process.
I usually aim for 45 minutes before flight time when I have the
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by 1K from MRY
To avoid waiting around, I don't print the BP in advance - Mr. Chicken is almost always a walk up situation. No separate bag drop but Mr. Chicken generates a bag tag on their side and they will be calling your name within a minute or two.
Just to clarify, although obviously 1K fm MRY as a 1K knows this too, there is nothing lost by using online checkin even though you are also intending to walk up to a machine. You go through essentially the identical screens, but the machine then asks "Did you already checkin for xxx" and when you reply yes it moves to the bag check screens. If there are no complications of awaiting uncleared upgrades, some members of this board argue that advance checkin is still marginally preferred even if you're going to use the machine for bag tags, as it removes some of the 1-in-a-1000 chance that they will fool with your seat or select you for denied boarding in an irregular ops situation. This is particualrly true if you end up being unexpectedly delayed enroute to the airport and miss the nominal last checkin time, without having advance checkin.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Allegiant messes things up

Just one additional head's up, which probably won't affect the OP, but might be relavent to those who come across this thread looking for additional info.

Whenever there is an Allegiant Air flight going out thigns are truly chaotic. Take 180 people, going on vacation with kids (strollers, toddlers, etc.) who never fly and it can quickly become your worst TSA nightmare. It took me almost 40 minutes to go through security last month, when Allegiant's flight to San Diego was boarding.

Fortunately, Allegiant only flies out of MRY 6 or 7 times a week...so this isn't a constant problem. In addition their flights tend to leave at off-peak times, but there are still a few UAX flights that they conflict with.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
A couple of other issues although the seasoned flyer won't have a problem with this.

Many of UA's planes here are smaller EMB-120's or CRJ's. In your case I believe its the CRJ-700. The counter agents will check the weights very carefully and I've seen plenty of repack jobs at the counter for even a couple of pounds over.

As mentioned, the lines get long only when there is a confluence of flights and AM can be a tight time. Outside, there is virtually only about 200 ft of curb outside the terminal and very little space to park and hang out. So usually suggest getting there about 45-60 minutes early if anticipating a drop-off jam.

The UX staff there are pretty good, most were very nice when I dealt with them. The upstairs restaurant is good (don't know if they are open that early though). Views from upstairs are nice to watch the runway traffic and TSA is usually pretty quick. Just don't pack a bunch of liquids.

Always remember while in Monterey to take a quick side trip (30 minutes RT) by car to Castroville take hwy 156 and off at hwy 183/Merrit street. Left and cross over the freeway and at the next block is the Giant Artichoke restaurant. Now I've been there and its pretty good, but even better is the little deli at the west end of the same building (the Rico Espresso Coffee factory) where a couple of sisters run it and make even better fried artichokes (fresh cut and lighter batter) and less expensive per piece to boot. They also make killer sandwiches too! Always my last stop before flying or driving out of Monterey. I ordered a 30 piece to share with my wife driving back to LA and they were gone before the 2 hour mark.

Also, if you're a golfer, play the Pacific Grove Muni Course. Trust me, its the best money you'll ever spend on a golf course.

Have fun in Monterey!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:43 pm

also, dunno if he's still there, but Virgil is da man!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: Nothing now! (Bye bye gold memberships)
Originally Posted by nebratu
also, dunno if he's still there, but Virgil is da man!
How does his spiel go? "♪Zippidy do da, zippidy ay, we would like to welcome you to Monterey♪... LET OFF THE PAX!"
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
this airport is great. too bad the op is on a 6am. any sort of 6am is just painful. flying in there from lax is a beautiful flight.

i remember checking in there in the afternoon and there was not a single person in the tkt line and not one person in security. that doesn't happen often.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:42 pm

MRY imo is better as a station than JFK. JFK doesn't have a dedicated bag drop counter. The last time I checked bags though was last august so things may have changed.

Last edited by stupidhead; Aug 7, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.