Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumpfest at LHR on August 3, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Bumpfest at LHR on August 3, 2009

All flights oversold today, travelling with Mrs Trappy and Trappy Junior to LAX on UA935, given $1000 at check in no need to wait and same flight tomorrow. There were people there who had been offered the same yesterday being off loaded again today.

They could not confirm on any UA flight today, only option was AC, but we did hear someone being offered BA. Cannot talk the family into another day at LHR tomorrow for another $3000 :-(
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
As predicted:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12162323-post11.html
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Trappy
Cannot talk the family into another day at LHR tomorrow for another $3000 :-(
Holy crap, if you pulled that every day you'd be looking at a 7-figure annual income!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How long has this been going on? Our flight to ORD on the 28th was packed to the gills (I'm not sure if it was actually oversold, as we sauntered over from the *lounge at the last moment) but the GA came onto the plane to pull people from C and move them to F to make room for more pax.

I'm thinking that for $1000 per person per day I'd string this along as long as I could unless I really needed to get home!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My last three flights out of LHR (two July and one June) were completely full and I was op-up'd on each.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by knifemein
Holy crap, if you pulled that every day you'd be looking at a 7-figure annual income!
7 figures of travel vouchers, expiring in 1 year, in bizarro $250 - $1000 non-combineable increments.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by channa
7 figures of travel vouchers, expiring in 1 year, in bizarro $250 - $1000 non-combineable increments.
Being in Europe, the OP may be getting cash. ^
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Being in Europe, the OP may be getting cash. ^
If so, he better do something with it before he brings in $10K into the U.S.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA
If so, he better do something with it before he brings in $10K into the U.S.
10k per person? So with 3 that's a 30k...

For that I would most likely extend my holiday with pleasure.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP says they were handing out actual checks, not vouchers.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Yup, as I predicted things were nuts. My flight ended up going out exactly even, due to them zeroing it out the day before. I was happy with my 5th straight LHR-IAD op-up in the last two months ^

However, for the financial health of UA, I hope someone in inventory mgmt is being crucified.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Yes just to confirm Type B vouchers 4 x $250 each. Will update again tomorrow, still cannot convince Mrs T to do the same.... women! :-(
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yup, as I predicted things were nuts. My flight ended up going out exactly even, due to them zeroing it out the day before. I was happy with my 5th straight LHR-IAD op-up in the last two months ^

However, for the financial health of UA, I hope someone in inventory mgmt is being crucified.
So, isn't anyone curious as to whether money is actually lost in all these VDBs? Suppose they give out 10 x $1000 on this flight. That's equivalent to the revenue for 2 C seats (at least at retail, w/o corporate discounts), in exchange for going out full. If there had been no VDBs and no payments, and the flight had gone out full, except for two empty C seats (an thus $10K of potential lost revenue, instead of the $10K they lost making VDB payments), would we automatically assume that trip lost money? I don't think so. So, is it completely obvious that this trip didn't operate at a profit, and IM should be commended, not crucified?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trappy
Yes just to confirm Type B vouchers 4 x $250 each. Will update again tomorrow, still cannot convince Mrs T to do the same.... women! :-(
My bad - I scanned "$1000 at checkin" as "$1000 BY check."
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Given the severity of this VDB situation I think it's clear that it is not IM's decision. There must have been irregular ops, or something to trigger such an oversold situation. Anybody know what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.