Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-JFK-LAX on 762 - E+ or not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2002, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

LAX-JFK-LAX on 762 - E+ or not?

Just booked for a March flight, both segs on 767-200's. The UA Seat Guru says they DO NOT have E+. Is that correct?

If so, anyone have some HK49's they don't need?
Old Feb 9, 2002, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No E+. You may be able to use miles to upgrade if you can't find any Confirmed North American Upgrades (HK-49's).
Old Feb 9, 2002, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Shadow, if your time is a little flexible and you don't mind an extra short hop to/from SFO, you could fly on a 763 each way. This plane does have E+ and if an HK49 manifests itself, the B+ cabin is very nice.

Eastbound, flight 22 departs SFO at 9:00A and arrives at JFK at 5:19P. Westbound, flight 15 departs JFK at 2:45P and arrives in SFO at 5:56P. Flight 1845 departs SFO at 6:50P and get you into LAX at 8:06P.

As a 1P, you should be able to ask for this change as long as the same fare basis is available on the new flights.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As much as the 762s have the ickiest interior of any UA plane, its not worth the extra hop to SFO, in that you are going to add at least 2 hours to your travel, you are subject to a substantial delay going through SFO (the shorthop flights usually are delayed/cancelled first), and there have been times I have booked myself on the 763 on that route (which has varied over the past few years on what time of day it goes), only to have a substitute of equipment. And now, oh joy, the 762 appears on a SFO/IAD flight I'm taking in 2 weeks. Fun. I will have to have a couple of extra morning cocktails so my 5 hours of twirling the footrest extrathingie that flips up will seem superfun.
Old Feb 10, 2002, 8:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
As much as the 762s have the ickiest interior of any UA plane, its not worth the extra hop to SFO, in that you are going to add at least 2 hours to your travel, you are subject to a substantial delay going through SFO (the shorthop flights usually are delayed/cancelled first), and there have been times I have booked myself on the 763 on that route (which has varied over the past few years on what time of day it goes), only to have a substitute of equipment. And now, oh joy, the 762 appears on a SFO/IAD flight I'm taking in 2 weeks. Fun. I will have to have a couple of extra morning cocktails so my 5 hours of twirling the footrest extrathingie that flips up will seem superfun.</font>
The 762s are more than icky, they are very uncomfortable. As has been noted previously, the C seats, though slightly more spacious than domestic F, seem to be similar to hard stone benches.

However, you're right about the extra transit time. But I usually have nothing better to do -- I just booked my next transcon from JFK to PDX through TPE because I found a good fare!

And besides, the extra stop in SFO would earn Shadow an additional 1000 status miles! That's certainly worth a few extra hours in transit, no?
Old Feb 10, 2002, 9:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shadow:
anyone have some HK49's they don't need? </font>
I don’t have any HK49s available right now but I do have some 500s. If this of interest to you, please email the particulars of your itinerary. I’ll be at MIA on Tuesday and might be able to find someone who knows how to process upgrades for another passenger. If not, I’ll be back in Portland for a few days before flying to from LAX to JFK on the 20th (on a 762 ) and I am somewhat confident that the folks at the Washington Square CTO know what to do. Meanwhile, if it looks like I have any HK49s available as my travel plans firm up over the next couple of weeks, we could always switch to a confirmed upgrade.

Incidentally, regarding my suggestion of switching to a 763, please check out the last post on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/007063.html
Old Feb 10, 2002, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks LarryU, that's very gracious of you.

I went ahead this morning and U/G'd with mileage. Got confirmed both ways in Row 5 -bulkhead aisle. That way I can watch all the employees enjoying FC.

I just don't have the time to swing thru SFO, but you made me think about it for a while...
Old Feb 11, 2002, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, On a 767-200 I always try to get seat 10F which (along with 10A and 11F) is nice because these are 'solo' seats, with an additional worktable so you have a lot of room to spread out. One downside is that you are adjacent to the bathrooms.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strongly agree with transpac. Those seats are great. Just use extreme caution when booking 10A as on some of these 767-200s there is no single seat at the 10A postition.

Best to play it safe and go for 10F or 11F (which are always singles with the table on the 767-200). 10F being the best of the two.

More legroom on these as well, BTW.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 12:46 pm

I tried 10F for the first time a few weeks ago and will be residing there next week as well. Its certainly the best of the bunch if one doesn't mind the noise and commotion in the galley/lav area. On the plus side, it was much easier for me to keep an eye on what the FAs were up to.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LarryU:
and I am somewhat confident that the folks at the Washington Square CTO know what to do. </font>
I thot they closed???
Old Feb 11, 2002, 3:29 pm

If you stay on the 767-200 in economy, I would suggest seats 15 A or B, or 15 F or G. Advantage is that they have great legroom. Disadvantage is if you're taking an overnight flight, there's a big draft there.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 4:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by essxjay:
I thot they closed??? </font>
When????

I was last there about a month ago, booking my current trip to MIA. They were so pleased to get some business, even if it was only $50 ($350 far - $300 voucher).
Old Feb 11, 2002, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you transpac & PremEx.

Just called and changed my flights...10F on the outbound & 11F on the return.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
shadow,
Those single seats are dhammers first choice when they are available. And a premex stated, they have 1st class legroom.

I'm flying JFK/LAX/JFK in March. Why don't you e mail me your itn. I'd love to chat again for a longer duration with you. And what better place to do so than a metal tube at FL 3 5 thousand.

Dan

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 02-11-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.