Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1K center at IAD. My first experience was underwhelming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2001, 10:05 am
Original Poster

My fist experience at IAD 1K near gate C17 was a disappointment. While LAX, SFO and ORD have all been good, this one gave the level of service that would make McDonald's look bad.

I arrived at the airport to find my connection running 2 hours late. I noticed another flight before mine also late and it was getting ready to board. I walk into the 1K and ask for alternatives. They said the last flight had already left and I should just wait around. I walk out the the gate C17 and find the earlier flight still there. I walk back to 1K and say flight XXX is still there, can I get on it. They grudgingly put me on the waitlist. When I asked about upgrade possibilities, they said it wouldn't be fair to put me on the waitlist as other passengers on it had booked that flight and were waiting to ug, besides, I had better get out there as they were boarding.

Fine

I walked out to the gate, waited patiently for an available agent, showed my 1st class boarding pass for the next delayed flight and asked politly to be placed on the ug waitlist. They noted the info and asked me to wait until they were ready to clear standbys.

About 10 mins later I was handed a 1st class boarding pass by the other gate agent and told to have a nice flight. This was given with a cheerful smile and a calm attitude in what had appeared to be a stressful day for the gate agents.

Yes, I did write a letter to UA about this g/a and I made sure I got her name. Hopefully, she will be there next week when I have the same flight.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 10:29 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by THX1138:
My fist experience at IAD 1K near gate C17 was a disappointment.</font>
All depends what you were looking for, I suppose....
Old Jul 28, 2001, 11:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
That was, IMVE, a typical visit to the IAD RCC
Old Jul 28, 2001, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1P:
All depends what you were looking for, I suppose.... </font>
Eek!! I laughed out loud...

Unfortunatlely the 1K room at IAD is an abomination. Surly, uninformed employees there (when they're there at ALL). The staff at ORD 1K rooms are exceptionally helpful I've found.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 12:20 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
That was, IMVE, a typical visit to the IAD RCC </font>
I agree.. it is the worse of them all.. I think they have too many congressmen at that airport to be nice to the non-VIPs???
Old Jul 28, 2001, 1:57 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Your comments on the IAD 1K Room are "right on." The agents are surly (and that's a compliment)...
Maybe it IS because of all the really important :-) people that go there, but I remember an old expression from when I was a kid...
"It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice."
Old Jul 28, 2001, 2:05 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have seen the IAD 1K room decline each and every yaar for 10 years in a row.

Occasionally I am pleased when a "stranger" is filling in. When that happens, service is pleasant and good.

The last competant and pleasant 1K agent there retired last year

Old Jul 28, 2001, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Could we turn this into a "rate the 1K rooms" discussion? In my experience: SEA/ORD, DEN, IAD. Never used SFO or LAX, so others are in a better position to comment on them.

At ORD, the contrast between the RCCs (horrendous) and 1K service centers (excellent) is dramatic. On the other hand, SEA has a decent RCC as well as a terrific 1K room. At IAD, practically everything sucks (RCCs, 1K room, mobile lounges, Atlantic Coast, politicians).
Old Jul 28, 2001, 4:18 pm

The consensus among UA's best customers is that IAD service in the 1K room is poor at its very best.

Now let's see....UA's best customers (1K), plus misc Congressmen and their ilk (who decide things like merge/no-merge)...Yep, I would certainly make sure my service in the IAD 1K room is voted the worst in the system.

I think the UA lurkers ought to take heed to the consensus and then take action!

[This message has been edited by bwi1k (edited 07-28-2001).]
Old Jul 28, 2001, 5:57 pm

DEN: ****. I've always been impressed. There's a blond lady there who is exceptional.

IAD: pathetic

LAX: no stars, I don't go there any more. They are not especially friendly or helpful, unfortunately. I get better help at the RCC. Sorry, girls.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:24 pm

DEN: ****. I've always been impressed. There's a blond lady there who is exceptional.

IAD: pathetic

LAX: no stars, I don't go there any more. They are not especially friendly or helpful, unfortunately. I get better help at the RCC. Sorry, girls.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
OK, so it sounds like the 1K room is horrible. But I have to ask, if you knew the flight was boarding, etc., why didn't you just go directly to the gate in the first place and ask them to assist you instead of going to the 1K room?
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Idsant, the 1K rooms are supposed to handle irregularities for UA's best customers better than the besieged GAs. I would have expected more help from the 1K room too.

AA's platinum service centers help both the Platinums and the Executive Platinums and provide outstanding service. It's a black mark on UA when one of their 1K rooms has such a poor reputation for so long without any change attempted by mgmt.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Re: Ranking the 1K Rooms

SEA was and is the best -- Missy is gone (thanks for everything, Missy) and Trish is great.
DEN is great as well. The personnel in SEA and DEN go above and beyond the call of duty, consistently.
LAX - they are glorified customer service reps...they are not friendly, not helpful.
ORD - I don't go in there often, but when I do, they have been helpful.
SFO - they are ok.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 7:06 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ldsant:
OK, so it sounds like the 1K room is horrible. But I have to ask, if you knew the flight was boarding, etc., why didn't you just go directly to the gate in the first place and ask them to assist you instead of going to the 1K room?</font>
Often there is no line for service at the 1K rooms.

If the gate had a long line, it could be too late for it to matter by the time you get to the front of the line. This would be even worse when the agents ignore the line to try to close out the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.