Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Linking UA ticket with *A ticket from Orbitz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, CO, AA, WN

To make a long story short - I had ticketed a flight AUS-IAD-LHR-DUB through United, with LHR-DUB operated by bmi as a UA codeshare. I now need to change the date of the flight to another day. To make the change through UA would cost $500 with the change fee. However, I can tell UA to eliminate the LHR-DUB leg with no difference in fare, paying only the $150 change fee, and then buy a ticket on the same bmi flight through Orbitz for $100. This way I save $250 or so.

My questions:
1. Would I be able to link the UA ticket and the bmi ticket since they are both *A carriers? More importantly, would I be able to check the bags through to DUB?
2. If not, how much time would I need to allow to clear immigration and customs, transfer to the bmi terminal, and check my bags in there? Would two hours be enough?
3. I could also buy a similar ticket LHR-DUB on Aer Lingus. What is the status of their alliance with UA? Could I link a UA ticket and an Aer Lingus ticket and check the bags through?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:28 am

As far as I know, you won't be able to check bags through on bmi. For a while, they have had a policy where they would not accept baggage checked through at Heathrow that wasn't on one booking. You may have better luck with Aer Lingus.

The good news with this is that UA, EI and BD all operate from Terminal 1. You don't mention what class you are travelling and what time of day you are arriving, but I've made it through T1 at various times of day in about 20 minutes, with checked (non-priority tagged) luggage. I do use the IRIS system, so if you aren't a member, it may take you a little longer to get through immigration.

You can't "link" seperate tickets, but you can present the reservations at check-in and ask the agent to check the bags through. I have a feeling you'll have better luck with this if you have an EI reservation, but others may disagree.

I would book whichever of the EI or BD flights was cheapest and most convenient, allowing 90mins-2hrs for a connection. This would give you some slack, particularly if arriving at LHR in the morning when there can be some arrival delays. LHR T1 will also be accommodating more *A carriers soon so it will start to become busier.

With both BD and EI positioning themselves as pseudo-low cost airlines, I'd err on the safe side and allow enough time to ensure you can make the flight you book. Cut it fine and miss the flight and, as you are on two seperate tickets, you'll have no sympathy from them and likely have to pay again to get to Dublin.

Mark
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by markdboucher
However, I can tell UA to eliminate the LHR-DUB leg with no difference in fare, paying only the $150 change fee, and then buy a ticket on the same bmi flight through Orbitz for $100. This way I save $250 or so.
If you are traveling one way, don't bother paying UA $150 to change. Since LHR-DUB is the last lag, just don't go on the plane. That will save you another $150.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by beanex
If you are traveling one way, don't bother paying UA $150 to change. Since LHR-DUB is the last lag, just don't go on the plane. That will save you another $150.
Agreed, but if the OP is travelling return, could UA cancel the remainder of the ticket as there was a no-show?

Mark
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
As far as I know, you won't be able to check bags through on bmi. For a while, they have had a policy where they would not accept baggage checked through at Heathrow that wasn't on one booking. You may have better luck with Aer Lingus.
bmi will accept luggage inbound, so unless UA has a problem at the initial point of checkin with seperate itineries (which I don't believe it does, especially when the next flight is on a *A carrier - but I stand to be corrected), it can be checked through.

bmi won't check through to other airlines however on seperate tickets/itineries though, which might be what you are thinking of.

1. Would I be able to link the UA ticket and the bmi ticket since they are both *A carriers? More importantly, would I be able to check the bags through to DUB?
You can't "link" tickets as such. United could put a note on your PNR, but that has no real standing.

2. If not, how much time would I need to allow to clear immigration and customs, transfer to the bmi terminal, and check my bags in there? Would two hours be enough?
Same terminal, and as stated bags *should* be checked through.

3. I could also buy a similar ticket LHR-DUB on Aer Lingus. What is the status of their alliance with UA? Could I link a UA ticket and an Aer Lingus ticket and check the bags through?
Status? Not sure what you mean. They're just like any partner airline. UA should be able to through check a bag.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by markdboucher
To make a long story short - I had ticketed a flight AUS-IAD-LHR-DUB through United, with LHR-DUB operated by bmi as a UA codeshare.
Please confirm: you don't have a return trip, or this is the return trip?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, CO, AA, WN
Thanks everyone. There is a third leg of the flight a few days later, LHR-PHL. I assume that if I just bailed from the LHR-DUB flight, they would cancel the rest of the ticket. As it turns out, I may need to change some other flights on the ticket anyway, so I'm kind of resigned to paying the change fee no matter what. I'm just trying to avoid paying a large fare difference as well.

Sounds like I should be able to have UA check the bags through when I drop them off in AUS, as long as I give them the BD or EI flight information. Of course I'm guessing that the chances of a baggage misconnect in this case are pretty high.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mjgodden
I had no problem interlining bags between UA and Aer Lingus at LHR on two separate PNRs.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You can certainly check through bags from UA to BMI on 2 separate tickets. Present both itineraries to the UA agent and ask them to check bags to your final destination. You'll need to get your boarding pass at the LHR transfer desk, and present the baggage tags for validation so they don't off-load the bags. We had no problems at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.