Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can ticket reservations be placed on hold on United.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can ticket reservations be placed on hold on United.com?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA S
This is a serious loss. These holds are definitely NOT replaced by the 24 hour cancellation policy for reasons mentioned above (eg ticketing with vouchers). UA is now going to have to spend a lot of extra resources ticketing those since people have to give their whole itin instead of just the pnr#

Last edited by whakojacko; May 30, 2009 at 8:20 am
Old May 30, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
UA seems to have pulled a classic politician-style Friday night news-dump with this enhancement.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
That brings up a great point - so how do you ticket these now?
Now you have to tie up web support to have them build the itinerary you want and put it on hold so you can go to the airport and turn in the vouchers

OR

Now you have to tie up ticketing staff at the airport, showing up with no held itinerary and having them build it for you.

Either way, it seems like United just increased their expenses.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Now you have to tie up web support to have them build the itinerary you want and put it on hold so you can go to the airport and turn in the vouchers

OR

Now you have to tie up ticketing staff at the airport, showing up with no held itinerary and having them build it for you.

Either way, it seems like United just increased their expenses.
So it seems. Sort of a lose-lose situation.

And not everybody, of course, lives next door to the nearest airport with a UA counter.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is crazy. I use this all the time to book biz travel and then confirm with my appts.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
So it seems. Sort of a lose-lose situation.

And not everybody, of course, lives next door to the nearest airport with a UA counter.
Agreed, this means you'll need to take up Web Support time to build the itin, then use ticket by mail.

FWIW, I called Web Support and was told that it was disabled.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Just sent a complaint via Twitter to UnitedAirlines, following up by contacting customer support.
The Twitter idea is a good one, thanks. I've flown UA since 1979 and I think this will be the first time I've actually complained to them about a policy change, but this one is huge! Many of the posts here are about vouchers, but it's important for regular ticketing as well.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
This is very very unfortunate. I ran into this problem last night and chalked it up to a technical glitch. This thread confirms my worst suspicions. Seems United from charging for mileage upgrades to deleting this function is moving more towards the CO model of doing business. Not necessarily bad but I'm not sure they've weighed the cost-benefit appropriately.

Further, it's unfortunate that FTs didn't get some sort of warning that the function would be removed. Not a good PR move.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I use the hold feature regulalrly. Bad move UA
Old May 30, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I use hold all the time to book mixed-class itineraries (e.g. W outbound, H return) that .bomb can't build. Hold the itinerary in some form, call reservations to change the booking classes, and then buy online to avoid the reservation fee and get the Chase EQM. This is going to make life more difficult!
Old May 30, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
So, what is the merchant fee UA pays for credit card transactions (purchases and refunds)?

Methinks FT'ers could send a little message....
Old May 30, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
I suspect they are simply following CO's procedures. CO eliminated the "hold" and switched to the 24 hour cancel process awhile back.
Ah, so United is just preparing for the eventual takeover by CO. Now I understand their logic.....
Old May 30, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by hobo13
Ah, so United is just preparing for the eventual takeover by CO. Now I understand their logic.....
Yes, but Continental.com allows multi class bookings!
Old May 30, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I use hold all the time to book mixed-class itineraries (e.g. W outbound, H return) that .bomb can't build. Hold the itinerary in some form, call reservations to change the booking classes, and then buy online to avoid the reservation fee and get the Chase EQM. This is going to make life more difficult!
Same here....now that is just more $$$ for them having to call and do it
I forsee alot of $25 charges for my future credit card bills
Old May 30, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by whakojacko
This is a serious loss. These holds are definitely NOT replaced by the 24 hour cancellation policy for reasons mentioned above (eg ticketing with vouchers). UA is now going to have to spend a lot of extra resources ticketing those since people have to give their whole itin instead of just the pnr#
That's the basis on my email to 1KVoice.

I decided to not complain right off but instead I decided to play "dumb" and took the position that it must be a glitch and told them without the Hold feature I was unable to book my trip, use a paper voucher and use TBM.

I asked them to explain, how to complete this purchase without a Hold feature

I look forward to their reply.

Of course, the next email will be a major complaint about the increased difficulties and barriers to ticketing United flights. (no more refares, etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.