Wiki Posts
Search

Op-up on int'l mr

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Op-up on int'l mr

Just finished a very brief IAD-BRU-FRA-IAD mr last weekend. Booked either T or S, don't remember, but got last minute op-ups to C on both TATL legs. It was a 777 and very nice. I assume that e was full but, even with op-ups, C still had empty seats. It certainly made for an unexpectedly pleasant flight.
Thanks, UA folk.
Have others experienced this lately?
Old May 28, 2009, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Not lately, but it happens relatively routinely for me. It's fun, isn't it?
Old May 28, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Nice going. International op-ups are rare from IAD.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yep, it's nice when it happens (most recently SFO-FRA for me, the day before Easter). I think they had a huge group of high school kids on the flight and started bumping up elites to squeeze the kids into Y. C was pretty empty - I think row 15 behind me was empty. Sadly it was only a 777, but it was nice to be able to sleep for most of the flight.
Old May 28, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by euslaner
Nice going. International op-ups are rare from IAD.
Out of curiosity, why's that?
Old May 28, 2009, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Last week on a C award I was moved to F JFK-SFO and then SFO-ICN.

I could get used to this!
Old May 28, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
man help a brother out...I would love to get more OP ups. I've only had 2 one IAD-FRA from Y to C on a 767 old C, Y was way oversold, was a newly monted 1k and had now SWU. 2nd time was like 5 years ago on AC from YVR-SFO, didn't even know what an OP Up was, just took my seat and smiled.

Hopefully in the future I can just get me UG's clear
Old May 28, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by rkaradi
man help a brother out...I would love to get more OP ups. I've only had 2 one IAD-FRA from Y to C on a 767 old C, Y was way oversold, was a newly monted 1k and had now SWU. 2nd time was like 5 years ago on AC from YVR-SFO, didn't even know what an OP Up was, just took my seat and smiled.

Hopefully in the future I can just get me UG's clear
It is like that old pearl of bowling wisdom: "concentrate on the spares; the strikes will take care of themselves".
Old May 28, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
As a 1K I've flown 9 transpac roundtrips in the last year without an op-up. I'm envious of folks who say it happens routinely. Send some of that mojo my way!
Old May 28, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
As a 1K I've flown 9 transpac roundtrips in the last year without an op-up. I'm envious of folks who say it happens routinely. Send some of that mojo my way!
I've never had an op-up, 3 years as a 1k and 3 before as a 1p, but I suppose it's partly my own fault for usually flying out (int'l) on Saturday or Monday and back on Friday. Especially with the number of times I've failed with SWU's, I agree that hearing about routine op-ups is pretty frustrating.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Never had one. Expect to never get one.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:33 pm

Now that I think of it, I've gotten 2 op-ups Y to C out of my last 4 transoceanic trips - SFO-FRA and SFO-NRT. Missed on both return trips though, but I can't complain.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:17 am

Yep, got op-up last weekend as well from FRA->IAD, economy class was full. Maybe we were on the same flight

It was definitely nice sitting in C TATL with only 50% of C cabin occupied.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 2K, BD Gold, DL/NW Gold, SPG Plat, MRW Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fly16
Have others experienced this lately?
I was op-upped on a MR last weekend IAD-LHR (old config 777) It was a very cheap T fare that I bought only a week and a half in advance so I was surprised that it ended up oversold +3 in Y on the day of the flight.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:04 am

Got one couple of months ago, on AMS-ORD, new 767. Did not expect it at all since the flight did not look very full and was only a 2P at the time. Got the beep when boarding, the GA gave me a new boarding pass, pointing to the PREMIER on it as a reason that I got it. Hm... The other one was years ago on a SEA-somewhere-on-the east-coast red-eye, most likely IAD. Was not even a GM at the time, arrived at the airport, got a boarding pass with no seat assignment, got called at the gate halfway during the boarding and handed an F boarding pass. Worked nice for the red eye.
Oh, the AMS was on a cheap-o fare - S or T, don't remember, but there for just a couple of days. IAD was on a ticket from orbitz or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.