Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about United Travel Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2001, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
Question about United Travel Vouchers

I have a $300 travel voucher from United that I guess is actually good for up to $300, as it states residual value will not be refunded, so unlike American's if you get a $200 ticket, you don't get a $100 voucher back.

Now my question is, when you use an American voucher you are exempt from taxes, which lowers the cost of the ticket making the voucher worth more than it appears. Is this also true for United? I want to make sure I get the most I can out of this certificate as I book some tickets.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Correction: AA treats its vouchers the same way as United. You always get the difference between the redeemed value and the vouncher value back in another voucher. I knew someone who received a voucher for $1.57.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
Hmmmm... the Certificate says

"No Cash Value/No Residual Balance on Partially used certificates"

I took this to mean the $300 was good up to $300

also "Non Combinable" but it doesn't say I can't sell it.

The certificate also says "Treat as Type AB Certificate". It was issued back in pre-financial trouble days of July 2001

The only restrictions I see on my American Voucher is that they must ticket, and it is void if transferred /sold/ purchased /bartered.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 11:20 pm

You are correct, you will not get the difference back. (e.g. You spend the $300 on a $250 ticket, you 'lose' $50.)

As for taxes, you will not be exempt from taxes. UA does 2 different things with its vouchers (and I'm not sure how this one will be treated):

1. Apply the value after all the taxes and everything else. (e.g. $108 fare with taxes and such total's to ~$129. If I have a $125 voucher, I then have to pay $4.)

2. Apply the value to the base fare which some taxes are based on (e.g. $108 fare with $100 voucher leaves about $8 in fare, some percentage taxes on that, and then other flat taxes. Let's say $20 (complete guess.))

For your voucher, I'm guessing 1, but you could always call UA and ask. (These is that profile code on the voucher which says something like "S*UAL/TRAVEL CREDIT" which the rep can look up and get more info.)

BillJ
Old Nov 26, 2001, 11:22 pm

You are correct, you will not get the difference back. (e.g. You spend the $300 on a $250 ticket, you 'lose' $50.)

As for taxes, you will not be exempt from taxes. UA does 2 different things with its vouchers (and I'm not sure how this one will be treated):

1. Apply the value after all the taxes and everything else. (e.g. $108 fare with taxes and such total's to ~$129. If I have a $125 voucher, I then have to pay $4.)

2. Apply the value to the base fare which some taxes are based on (e.g. $108 fare with $100 voucher leaves about $8 in fare, some percentage taxes on that, and then other flat taxes. Let's say $20 (complete guess.))

For your voucher, I'm guessing 1, but you could always call UA and ask. (These is that profile code on the voucher which says something like "S*UAL/TRAVEL CREDIT" which the rep can look up and get more info.)

BillJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.