Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Different Award Availability for Same Flight Depending on Destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold

Looking to redeem MP for SFO-IAD-EZE in C. There is C availability on the return, but not yet available for outbound IAD-EZE. I want to book a confirmed XY seat and waitlist for C on the IAD-EZE portion, and confirm F on SFO-IAD. When doing a dummy booking, by just looking for a SFO-IAD as part of a *domestic* award, .bomb is showing plenty of XF availability for several SFO-IAD a.m. flights (XF9 on at least one flight). But when I check the exact same flights on .bomb as part of int'l itinerary SFO-EZE, the SFO-IAD portion shows lots of NF availability but XF is 0.

Is this normal/correct? Would I really be able to snag the same F seat for a domestic award but not snag the same seat if the flight is part of an int'l award itinerary? Shouldn't they be able to search each flight indepedently regardless of what the final destination is?
Old May 20, 2009, 1:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
For "direct" flights (flights with layovers but marketed as a single flight number), this is normal; UA offers different NF/NC and XF/XC inventory for the individual segments and for the through-flight. Search for "married segment award" and you'll find other threads on this issue.

If you were to purchase this flight for money, I doubt that your SFO-IAD-EZE fare would cost the same as SFO-IAD + IAD-EZE, because most UA fares are based on the O&D markets, not the individual segments. UA has presumably applied that same philosophy to awards. That way, a high demand for awards on (e.g.) SFO-IAD won't make it impossible to book awards for SFO-IAD-EZE, which is what could happen if award inventory were entirely based on individual segments.
Old May 20, 2009, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cepheid
For "direct" flights (flights with layovers but marketed as a single flight number), this is normal; UA offers different NF/NC and XF/XC inventory for the individual segments and for the through-flight. Search for "married segment award" and you'll find other threads on this issue.
Thanks for the info. I will do a search for "married segment award" -- I was trying to think of how to search for this but that term/phrase wasn't intuitive, but now it is. The flight numbers in question are not the same, i.e., there are several different SFO-IAD flights with different numbers than whatever flights show up by searching for SFO-EZE routings. I'm not even sure if UA has a "direct" flight SFO-EZE with one flight number.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Have you called on this one?
Old May 20, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Confusion over married segments happens fairly frequently. Like, for example, yesterday (admittedly this one's about NC space, but same idea):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...onnection.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.