Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PremEx Benefits Worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
PremEx Benefits Worthwhile?

I'm considering upgrading from Premier to Premier Executive status, but only if it makes sense. So I have a few questions:

- Are there any unpublished benefits?

- Over the past few months, how easy has it been for PremExs to upgrade from one of the lowest published coach fares to the next class of service, using certificates or using miles, for a)domestic legs over 3 hours duration, and b)intercontinental services. If upgraded under these circumstances, could it be done 72 hours ahead of departure, or only at the gate?

Thanks for specific info.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:47 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
There are not many unpublished benefits - but major reasons to move forward are 100% mileage bonus on all flights and upgrades.

When I was a PremEx I received upgrades in advance about 65% of the time. Flying peak times and between major UA hubs lessens your chances.

This year has been more competitive for all upgrades given reduced qualifying levels for all elite tiers. But I think its worth going for.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:59 am

I think that one of the biggest benefits is that PE takes you out of the masses. I did a mileage run last year to qualify and have really noticed the difference in service. Even flying out of SFO, I am now often one of the higher status people on the plane and among the first for food orders up front, etc. It also seems to help when some unexpected change occurs. I would do it again if it were not too expensive.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:06 am

After 2 years at Premier level, I finally moved 1 step up. Major reason is the 100% mileage bonus.

So far, out of 4 domestic flights to/from LAX (mid day, afternoon), I have been able to upgrade 3 of them, 1 out of ORD and 2 out of IAD. However, it cleared at the gate at the last minute.
For flights Europe/USA, success rate is 50% (with H fare).

As I also travel on LH and TG flights, it is really nice to have access to Star Alliance lounges.

I am sure there are lots of mileage runs to get you to the next level.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:07 am

Couple of (I think) unpublished Premier Exec versus just Premier benefits:

1. Exit row seat assignments in advance.
2. Same day changes in itinerary (e.g., switch in advance to a flight at a different time with the same routing) w/o paying change fee when same fare class is available.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also advanced seating assignments on the Shuttle.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Didier:
After 2 years at Premier level, I finally moved 1 step up. Major reason is the 100% mileage bonus.

So far, out of 4 domestic flights to/from LAX (mid day, afternoon), I have been able to upgrade 3 of them, 1 out of ORD and 2 out of IAD. However, it cleared at the gate at the last minute.
For flights Europe/USA, success rate is 50% (with H fare).

As I also travel on LH and TG flights, it is really nice to have access to Star Alliance lounges.

</font>
Thanks for the information from everyone. Seems like the 100% mileage bonus is a key reason to go PremEx, but it's still not clear how often I could expect to get mileage-based upgrades in low fare categories (e.g. Q,V,W), especially for intercontinental travel primarily between California and Australia/NZ/Europe. How about certificate-based upgrades in North America? Maybe UA personnel want to weigh in on this one? Current info as much as possible, please.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 2:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Prem Ex is worth the extra effort!

Although I found the last few years worth of "service" from being Prem Ex not as satisfactory as my first four years, I still believe it is well worth it to go for PremEX.

I am taking the additional step after 7 years at the PremEX level and just qualified for 1K as of Aug 2nd. I'll wait to see if it is worth it.

Old Aug 6, 2001, 2:51 pm

I'm pretty sure that you can't use miles to upgrade Q/V/W fares on international segs. Only special op systemwides and 1K SWUs can upgrade these fares on international. I believe mileage upgrades for international tickets require Y/B/M/H fares.

A big plus for me when traveling international, even in Y, is exit row seating and use of the *A lounges.

I agree with previous posters that to improve chances for upgrades within N. America, you should try to avoid hub cities and popular flights.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
My company has three Premier Executives, flying from LAX, SNA, DEN, EWR, IAD mostly. We are a small company, and search endlessly for good fares. We've had excellent luck (85%?) clearing the upgrade list in advance (as long as we avoid a 727/732/Airbus) and usually clear the remainder at the airport. We've had very little problem upgrading domestic flights with MP miles (as opposed to using the 500-mile certs/e-upgrades)

International upgrades are more of a problem. FTraveler is correct that you can upgrade only H/M/B/Y fares using miles -- the cheaper fares are not upgradeable using miles. It's also not that easy to confirm upgrades using these fares -- we book these 3-4 months in advance and even then many flights are not available. We've gotten upgrades 50-60% of the time we've been waitlisted.

We find being PremEx's very worthwhile for all the benefits others have mentioned.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Not even 1Ks can use miles to upgrade intercontinental economy fares other than H, M, B, Y. In fact, being elite doesn't give you an advantage over the lowliest Mileage Plus member when it comes to mileage-based upgrades---except prioroty on the waitlist.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 6:38 pm

That priority is a huge advantage for me.

If you travel on the big 1k routes (SFO/LAX - JFK and many IAD routes) forget it .. there are huge numbers of 1Ks that don't get upgraded on those routes.

-David
Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:08 pm

I flew back and forth between London and the US many times last year, and fly extensively domestically. When I was Premier, I did not get upgraded internationally even when flying on an H or B fare. Maybe there was a chance, but is was a small chance. Once I became prem exec, I got upgraded almost every time I flew (still only on qualifying fares).

Further, if you fly internationally the access to the lounges is a huge benefit. Have you ever waited in the terminal in Heathrow? Its loud, smoky and a bit dirty. Walk into the Red Carpet Club and you get the opposite experience. (If you live in Europe you get a free RCC membership when you make Prem Exec.)

I also believe I noticed a difference in service when I became Prem Exec.

I made 1k last year and managed to get a double upgrade. The reservation agent put a note in my file ask them to upgrade me at the gate. They didn't even take out the points!

Good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23-24;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Being a PremExec has in my perception significantly enhanced my likelihood of getting an operational upgrade (i.e., no miles, no certs required -- just a packed plane). In June Mrs. Law Lord and I were bumped up from (already-upgraded) business class seats to the First Suite on an LHR-IAD flight. In December we scored operational upgrades to business class from SFO to LHR, on tickets so cheap (maybe $450 RT) as to be embarrassing. This sort of luck didn't happen to me as a Premier.

------------------
"Yes, but at least mine will be found in a first class seat." -- Peattie and Taylor
Old Aug 7, 2001, 2:44 am

Well, CDG/IAD/SJC/IAD/SJC all 4 segments are upgraded! On an H fare, more than 1 week before departure. Upgrade stats are improved (5/6 for domestic, 3/4 for international) and it is fine with me as PE!

I think it was possible because a) much? less business travellers during summer on this route and b)MP status. I'll make PE again this year.

Going to next level? As a leisure traveller, wish I could afford... but it would be way too much travelling for the next 4 months.

Really admire those of you who hit 1K level and truly deserve all the extra unpublished benefits for flying soooo much!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.