Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will a 04/09 SWU cover this itin? Depart 4/30, overnight in ORD, then onto SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I'm considering:

4/30 DEN-MCI-ORD (10AM-3PM)
5/1 ORD-NRT-SIN (12:15pm-)

Will a 4/30 SWU cover this itin? The trip departs on 4/30, has a <24 hour connection in ORD before continuing onto SIN.

I think it should be OK. But I'm not an expert.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Anything over a 12-hour connection breaks a SWU. So even though it is a legal connection from a booking perspective, the SWU requires connection times of less than 12 hours.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gary_nj
Anything over a 12-hour connection breaks a SWU. So even though it is a legal connection from a booking perspective, the SWU requires connection times of less than 12 hours.
Thanks.

But when does the 24 hour rule take effect?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by hobo13
Thanks.

But when does the 24 hour rule take effect?
I believe it is what constitutes a stopover.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:23 pm

On most international itineraries from the US, a "connection" can be up to 23:59 in length. It is the SWU rule that limits it to 11:59. And this SWU rule was only started a few years ago.

One thing you might consider if your plans (and the routing rules of the fare) would allow it... book a later flight into ORD (arriving say 7pm)... then take a 6am flight the next morning to someplace like SFO, and continue on to Asia from there. As long as each connection is less than 12 hours, the SWU should work. Assuming it is all on the same itinerary.

Before someone asks... I do not know what would happen if you booked the later flight and then went standby on an earlier flight into ORD.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gary_nj
On most international itineraries from the US, a "connection" can be up to 23:59 in length. It is the SWU rule that limits it to 11:59. And this SWU rule was only started a few years ago.

One thing you might consider if your plans (and the routing rules of the fare) would allow it... book a later flight into ORD (arriving say 7pm)... then take a 6am flight the next morning to someplace like SFO, and continue on to Asia from there. As long as each connection is less than 12 hours, the SWU should work. Assuming it is all on the same itinerary.
I'm trying that but it jacks up the cost.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:13 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
What happens if its two separate itns, but less than 12 hours between each flight? Would one SWU cover the whole trip? That's my situation next month.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:13 pm

I apologize for jacking the post, but I have a similar question.
Will a 04/09 SWU cover for a LAX - NRT - SIN trip starting on 30 April? The terms says that the flight must begin before or on the SWU expiry, and the NRT - SIN leg is effectively taking off on 1 May. Does it take into consideration the actual start of the trip or the start of each individual leg?

So by the above replies, I think the 2 legs is SWU-able with a 04/09 SWU?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aau
What happens if its two separate itns, but less than 12 hours between each flight? Would one SWU cover the whole trip?
One SWU can never cross PNRs.

Originally Posted by fone
As long as you check on in April and get both BPs, it will work.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
IWill a 04/09 SWU cover for a LAX - NRT - SIN trip starting on 30 April? The terms says that the flight must begin before or on the SWU expiry, and the NRT - SIN leg is effectively taking off on 1 May. Does it take into consideration the actual start of the trip or the start of each individual leg?

I can speak with absolute certainty about this as I am doing a LAX-NRT-SIN trip leaving LAX 4/30 and the flights are already upgraded using a SWU expiring on 4/30. So yes, it will work.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

I apologize for jacking the post, but I have a similar question.
Glad this thread was helpful to you.

I gave up, and booked the May 1 itin. They don't call it .bomb just because it rhymes....
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Glad this thread was helpful to you.

I gave up, and booked the May 1 itin. They don't call it .bomb just because it rhymes....
hobo13, just a thought... I didn't try this because I don't know what fare basis you are looking for, but the following flights seem to have pretty good availability in all fares for the 4/30 to 5/1 connection:

4/30
UA 938 DEN-ORD 3:35pm - 7:01pm (777)
5/1
UA 12 ORD-LAX 6:30am - 8:52am
followed by LAX-SIN

At least part of the problem is that the 5/2 NRT-SIN segment is sold out of low fare buckets, at least if booked separately. So you will need to marry that segment with something else to get a low, but upgradeable, fare. It might require a routing from LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN, for example. If you try to book the above on .bomb, you would want to make sure to use the multi-city option and show segment-by-segment until the LAX-SIN portion.

There is some chance the MCI connection may be causing a problem if the fare limits the number of connections - that MCI connection really only gives you about 160 miles beyond the nonstop DEN-ORD anyway, so you might consider getting rid of that.

If, after trying this, you don't like the itinerary you booked today, you have 24 hours to cancel without penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.