Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Greed IAD-PVD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

UA Greed IAD-PVD

I want to fly IAD-PVD on 4/1 and return 4/2. Cheapest UA fare is $917.20. This is unbelievable. I checked SeatCounter and the flights are wide open. This is what makes me hate UA. I had been a 1K for a number of years. But finally got fed up last fall with UA being a pig to the northeast from IAD. Hopefully, SW will start flying this route and I'll never have to fly UA again.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
UA is the only of the major carriers offering non-stop, and the second cheapest... where's the greed??
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by djlndc
Or, you could pay $269 and fly UA into BOS and just down to PVD with the extra money in your pocket...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
UA is the only of the major carriers offering non-stop, and the second cheapest... where's the greed??
You think $900 is a reasonable fare to travel 300 miles? They set this price because, like you said, they are the only show in town. But their GREED won't make me want to fly them again. They shouldn't gouge a route simply because they can. What they've done is chased AWAY another loyal customer. The 10 flights I've flown this year, have all gone to other carriers.

Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
Or, you could pay $269 and fly UA into BOS and just down to PVD with the extra money in your pocket...
That's the idea. But I won't reward UA with my business. I'll fly Jet Blue to BOS for $224 or head up to BWI and fly Southwest.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: Free Agent
You think $900 is a reasonable fare to travel 300 miles? They set this price because, like you said, they are the only show in town.
But... $900 isn't the norm. I'm sure if you checked a week or two ago it would have been more in line with the usual fare of $199 to $400. And that's something that's true for the entire industry. Sometimes fares get out of whack for whatever reason.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:36 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

There's always Amtrak...

I agree that it is pure price gouging. Considering I just booked IAD-LAX-IAD around the same dates for $219 RT.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
They set this price because, like you said, they are the only show in town... They shouldn't gouge a route simply because they can.
See free market.
See also the airline industry collectively losing billions and needing every dollar it can get.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely insane that some routes are as ridiculously expensive as they are (flying in and out of Minnesota can be obscene). But the bottom line is United isn't willing to sell you the seat (at least right now) for less than $900. For any myriad of reasons, it isn't worth it to them. That's not their fault (or them being "greedy," whatever that is) it's the free market. You're not being greedy for refusing to sell me your new BMW for $10,000. You think you can do a better job selling it elsewhere.

You, on the other hand, should not pay $900 for a flight if it's not worth it to you. Vote with your feet and dollars by driving up to BOS and flying something more reasonably priced. Doesn't make you greedy, just rational. Same for United.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:38 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
dude, what don't you understand? This is so 3 years ago.

People pay it, so they charge it. What would you have them do?

It's like if you were selling your car, and someone offered $2M for it. You would sure as hell raise your price to $2M... Would you sell it to someone else for $10,000 instead, so as not to appear to be gouging him?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I want to fly IAD-PVD on 4/1 and return 4/2. Cheapest UA fare is $917.20. This is unbelievable. I checked SeatCounter and the flights are wide open. This is what makes me hate UA. I had been a 1K for a number of years. But finally got fed up last fall with UA being a pig to the northeast from IAD. Hopefully, SW will start flying this route and I'll never have to fly UA again.
Capitalism. Free market. Its called revenue management. Their purpose is to charge the profit optimizing price. If they didn't they would break their fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Has EVERYONE in America forgotten this? Why don't we re-regulate air travel? And rip apart contracts for those poor guys at AIG while we are at it?

If you want to suggest that an airline should lower price, it should be a business reason. One that has a net benefit to the business - UAL Corp. - not the consumer.

Last edited by sts603; Mar 25, 2009 at 6:24 pm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sts603
Capitalism. Free market. Its called revenue management. Their purpose is to charge the profit optimizing price. If they didn't they would break their fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Has EVERYONE in America forgotten this? Why don't we re-regulate air travel? And rip apart contracts for those guys at AIG while we are at it?
No, in this new "era" airlines charge those that can afford it 10X so others can fly for free

I'm just confused by this thread - when I check on ITA United it very competitive with other carriers for this same flight (with connection) and not much higher for the direct. Now there were some cheaper fares but they had long layovers and airport changes (LGA/JFK).

Now I also agree that the price is TERRIBLE; I'd certainly look for alternatives as others have mentioned.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, B6, a little DL here and there
US has been doing this for a long time on BOS-PHL, $900+ fares are the norm on that route. Outrageous bos-phl fares continue
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
But... $900 isn't the norm. I'm sure if you checked a week or two ago it would have been more in line with the usual fare of $199 to $400. And that's something that's true for the entire industry. Sometimes fares get out of whack for whatever reason.
Honestly, it IS the norm for one week in advance fares from IAD to PVD. Check travelocity's flexible search. The OP needs to check his/her markets and know when to buy the advance purchase fares. There are $178 fares with a 10 day advance purchase.

That being said, it is unreasonable to expect rock-bottom fares all the time. The airlines are collectively losing billions. To a certain extent, we all should be paying more. I just did a calculation that, in 1978, the lowest fare from SEA-PVD was equivalent to over $1300 in today's dollars.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Keep in mind another reason UA prices some of the short hops out of IAD at such a high fare is because they want to hold availability for the typically more profitable international connections. And to be honest a 24 hour trip with around 7 days AP on a non competitive route screams business customer whiling to pay, if you don't someone else will. UA’s inventory management team is well skilled with significant statistical data that says it’s the right fare.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by 777Brian
And to be honest a 24 hour trip with around 7 days AP on a non competitive route screams business customer whiling to pay, if you don't someone else will. UA’s inventory management team is well skilled with significant statistical data that says it’s the right fare.
agree with this 100%. I agree its ridiculous gouging, but its an open market and UA can charge whatever it wants. Either fly to BOS and drive or take the train
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
You think $900 is a reasonable fare to travel 300 miles? They set this price because, like you said, they are the only show in town. But their GREED won't make me want to fly them again. They shouldn't gouge a route simply because they can. What they've done is chased AWAY another loyal customer. The 10 flights I've flown this year, have all gone to other carriers.
What a juvenile reaction. By all means fly Jetblue or whoever you feel like. UA feels they can get away with this and they probably will. US charges similar fares PHL-BOS and a couple of other markets. There are not that many markets where one airline has a monopoly and they will try to milk those -- and I were running UA I would do exactly that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.