Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is United Mileage Plus the worst programme ever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi, am I the only one who is fed up with United Mileage plus and it's shortcomings to credit the miles to the account? In the past few years I have had nothing but trouble to get credited the omitted miles. Have sent the boarding passes in registered mail, requested online etc but it is a constant struggle to have the credit.

When the same has happened with AA, they have just accepted a fax with copies of the boarding passes (or an online credit request) compared to UA which needs the originals including ticket receipts.

Also with United have had problems to have all legs of the ticket credited even if the operating carrier has not changed. It really frustrates me that I give my number upon check in and still have to go through the hazzle everytime.

I am seriously thinking about switching to an other Star Alliance programme (except Lufthansa... they are way too inflexible) so any recommendations, please let me know. I am based in the UK so would need a programme that allwos to redeem miles in Europe and that the miles would not expire within a year (and that was the only reason I chose UA).

Cheers
HS
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have a 100% success rate on getting fast mileage credit with UA.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
No.

And you should have your MP account number attached to your reservations record at the time of booking.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I don't know why you are having so much trouble with getting missing miles credited into your account corrected. The last three times where I've had missing credit, all I had to do was enter the ticket number and the flight information on .bomb, and the missing credits would show up after maybe a couple weeks.

The only time that didn't happen was when LH changed their policy to not give mileage credits for certain intra-Eurpoean fare classes. I didn't realized that policy change had occurred, and sent a missing mileage request to UA. They sent a letter via snail mail to explain the change.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Never any problems but one SAS flight, but for that flight, the number was not in the system before check-in.

As suggested, perhaps that's your problem - add the number to the reservation before the flight.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
+1 ^

Almost never have issues receiving flight credit, and in the rare instances where it didn't post I've had zero issues getting it added quickly by faxing it in.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage Plus is the reason I continue with United.

I very rarely have issues with UA flight credit. I do sometimes get trouble with AC or LH credit, but even that is not terribly often.

You're wasting time (and money) by sending registered mail. Look in the UA FAQ thread for a 605 area code number to fax in what you would mail.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
+1 ^

Almost never have issues receiving flight credit, and in the rare instances where it didn't post I've had zero issues getting it added quickly by faxing it in.
+2

Also, while I used to have trouble mailing and calling to get credit.... several years back (the old TUS MP service cetner days) I learned to ONLY fax to get credit if there were any problems, and I have had 100% success getting it posted.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
+1
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:50 pm

In at least 10 years of flying with United at the 1K level, I have never had any missing mileage. I can't imagine what is causing your problem.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
+3

Never had a problem with miles on UA, *A, and partner airlines credited, so I think the problem resides with you. Starnet blocking notwithstanding MP is one of the best FFPs out there.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I have had some issues from time to time with partner airlines and hotels. With partner airlines, it is very important to make sure your FF number is given in your reservation and it prints on your boarding pass. The few times I did not get credit my number was not on the BP despite appearing on the itinerary. While I really don't enjoy doing this, if my number does not print on my BP I ask them to update the record and reprint. Since doing this I have had no issues.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hotelshark
Hi, am I the only one who is fed up with United Mileage plus and it's shortcomings to credit the miles to the account? In the past few years I have had nothing but trouble to get credited the omitted miles. Have sent the boarding passes in registered mail, requested online etc but it is a constant struggle to have the credit.
Few (if any) problems here. Can you tell us more about what airlines you're flying (UA or *A, codeshare or not)? What explanation does UA give for why the miles are not crediting?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Add me to the lsit of folsk with good experiences. Credit for UA flights generally are posted within 24 hours.....*A flights within 72 hours.

My only non-credits last year was when I had 6 segments in one day, I was back-up on other flights, and it was a screwy itinerary.

So far, 65+ segments this year, and not a single one has failed to post.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
thread title seems a bit vague and overly dramatic, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.