Wiki Posts
Search

UX: Window shade up for landing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Kettle
UX: Window shade up for landing?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything pertaining, so hopefully this isn't a repost. But I did 2 flights on UX last week, Den-Atl and Atl-Iad. And on both flights, announcements were made that window shades had to be up during landing. Very strange - the "requirement" wasn't enforced during takeoff. Is there some little known FAR that relates to this? On a side note, there was no mention of the prohibition of items in the seatback pocket.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't believe there's a FAR, but it could be part of the airline's op specs. It makes sense to do it anyway because if there's an emergency on landing, it's nice to be able to see outside.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:18 am

Here's an old thread which discusses the reasons:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-291012.html
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by husker267
I did a quick search and didn't find anything pertaining, so hopefully this isn't a repost. But I did 2 flights on UX last week, Den-Atl and Atl-Iad. And on both flights, announcements were made that window shades had to be up during landing. Very strange - the "requirement" wasn't enforced during takeoff. Is there some little known FAR that relates to this? On a side note, there was no mention of the prohibition of items in the seatback pocket.
It is recommended by the FAA to have shades open in case of a crash and rescuers need to look inside, as well as giving as much normal light into the cabin. It is actually required over the Emergency exit windows only I believe so that the FA's can look outside for fire, water, etc...prior to opening an exit. Some carriers may make it mandatory, which is their right to do so to comply with the FAA recommendation. I guess the UX carrier you flew does it that way.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by husker267
Had this on 4 flights last week on UX -- shades up for both takeoff and landing. Had closed my window shade because of the glare of the sun, fell asleep on one of the landings and woke up with my shade reopened, so looks like they do take it seriously.

As for seatpocket stuff -- one FA checked all the seatpockets around me and even told one person to remove a paperback from the pocket!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
This is new???? I have experienced this a gazillion times in the past 40 years. Many airlines do not strictly adhere to this routine - but it is certainly not something new. I think it is a FAR safety regulation, but am unsure.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Aside from the safety issue or operational requirements....maybe it's just me, but I like to anticipate "the bump" when you hit the ground and having the shades down makes it sorta a mystery....as a person who CAN sleep on planes, I would never be able to sleep through a landing no matter how good it was
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
On takeoff and landing, the FA is there for our safety. If she believes doing her job well requires the shades be up, then they shall be up. It makes sense for the reasons Sam gave.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Some things in life boil down to common sense, which is sadly, far too uncommon.

This is one of them.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thai Airways does this on all their flights. If pax do not comply the FAs come by and do it for them.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Window Shades Up

I flew MCI-DEN-MCI yesterday, and during the first leg (on Shuttle America E170), the FA's made the announcement about window shades needing to be up for take-off and landing. I haven't heard this in years on United or United Express... Why are they mentioning it now, and why only on Express??

I did hear something about twelve years ago, that if you were hijacked, the snipers would be able to see into the plane... Not sure if that is the truth behind this requirement.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
I've had this happen, I think it's for safety. In the event of an emergency you need to be able to see outside to assess the situation.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I just don't understand why they would only say something on Shuttle America... I have never heard this on the pre-recorded safety talk on GoJet or any of the other united express operators... Why do you think they don't mention this on mainline service?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
this has happened on most of my flights. i think its about security. i dont think it has to do with snipers. the windows are double pane, i doubt a bullet would be able to get through both of them. plus, the change in air pressure from a hole in the window would cause problems i believe. additionally, if the plane was hijacked- the FAs likely wouldn't be allowed to give orders to the pax. plus, i don't think a hijacking would occur while the plane was still on the ground, as while on the ground, the plane could probably be stopped. and, nobodys going to hijack a plane during landing.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Every certificated airline has its own unique set of procedures that are approved by the FAA. This is one case where a marketing affiliation (such as UX) or alliance (*A) does not apply. It's much like the cockpit checklist -- developed by individual airlines, approved by the FAA, and followed to the letter. So Skywest's procedures can be different than GoJet's which can be different than Shuttle America's which can be different than mainline United's. And they are.

The "window shades must be up" helps a passenger evaluate the outside conditions in the event of an emergency landing (i.e. which side of the plane poses least danger). This has been the case since long before "security" was an issue. As I recall, TWA had this policy, as do SQ and TG today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.