Wiki Posts
Search

Using Lufthansa Award-UA 1K

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2001, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Using Lufthansa Award-UA 1K

Hello,

I will be using an 20k mile lufthansa award to travel within Europe. I will be returning to AMS the day before my flight leaves for the US. I am concerned something will happen and my flight will be cancelled.

Maybe, I am just being paranoid, but I am expected at my new job the day after I return to the US. Would really hate to start it off on the wrong foot. Any suggestions? What are my options?

Thanks,

Richard
Old May 18, 2001, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you worried about the impacts of the LH Pilot's job actions? If so, it looks like, at least for the past two weeks, that they are stiking on Thursdays, so that might be a good day to avoid traveling on? I also recall mention that they might start striking on Fridays and Mondays? Or they'll likely settle? Not sure what your travel plans are, but the train and/or KLM might be a good back-up?
Old May 18, 2001, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Transpac,

Thanks for the advice. I am travelling on Sunday so I hope I will not be inconvenienced. Do you think they will put me on another flight with a different carrier on the same day? Or is that asking for too much?

Cheers,

Richard
Old May 18, 2001, 5:59 pm

Right now, and for next couple weeks, the strikes will only be thurs. from midnight to midnight... Friday's are also affected, but on sunday you won't have any problems.
If you can call LH USA as they are much friendlier as the one's in Germany.....
Old May 19, 2001, 10:58 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
While I don't know your schedule, it may be worth considering the train rather than a flight within Europe. The trains tend to be very reliable within Germany and the Benelux. They are also much cheaper than flights sometimes. You can get some fare info from the DB website (www.bahn.de) though fares are in DM.

However, no miles
Old May 19, 2001, 10:58 pm

Richard:
I have used those 20K free LH flights out of FRA and MUC. A few times my outbound flights to my final destination in Europe were canceled or I missed the flight due to delay in the outbound Transatlantic flight.
On all occasions, LH will put me on the next available flight without any hassle.

If for some reason the Transatlantic return segment get canceled(rarely), The Airlines will do their best to try to book you on another flight even if that means a non *A airlines.
You should be prepared and willing and accept to fly to the closest Airport of your originaly planned port of entry. i.e. Newark instead of JFK, BWI instead of IAD you get the point.

Good luck

AndrewM

[This message has been edited by AndrewM (edited 05-19-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.