Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How to requalify for 1k? 99,400 miles in 2008.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

I flew on December 31st and thought that I had enough miles to qualify. Apparently my math was bad, and my status was dropped on Feb 28. Is there a way to requalify for 1k for this year to cover the 600 miles?

Would I be able to use United visa miles or redeemable miles?

Or are there any other ways?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abcflying
I flew on December 31st and thought that I had enough miles to qualify. Apparently my math was bad, and my status was dropped on Feb 28. Is there a way to requalify for 1k for this year to cover the 600 miles?

That's painful.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:41 pm

Sorry, but I don't think it's possible to do anything with last year's issue at this point. Of course, if you paid for F/C/D/Y for a large fraction of your 2008 flying, it might be a good idea to call and try to persuade them.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Elite Royal Ambass, HHon Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hertz 5*
I read on here of people getting United emails offering them EQM's to qualify. There was probably a deadline.

In 2005 I miss counted and only did 99,666 miles and got knocked back to 1P the following year, i called united by no joy.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
ouch!

Originally Posted by abcflying

That is extremely painful. Very sorry to read about this.

I don't feel so bad that I missed 1k in 2008 by a single overseas flight, canceled due to the economy.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:16 am
Suspended

A good lesson here.
Always overshoot the mark, just because.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pokecheckted
A good lesson here.
I could not have said it any better than that
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The only thing I can suggest is to double check all your 2008 *A paid flights posted okay. No doubt you have already done this.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:55 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pokecheckted
A good lesson here.
Eek, but how are people miscounting?

The My Mileage Summary page online lists your YTD EQM total...so there shouldn't be any counting required? You can see in early December if you've made 100,000 or not, and if not use the last month to pick up the extra miles or pull the trigger on Chase's extortionist but convenient 10,000 RDM -> 1,000 EQM conversion.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I got a promo letter in the mail in January telling me to go to united.com/buyeqm to buy the EQM I needed by the thousand. I didn't do it, because I only had 16,000 EQM and it was about $1400 for 9,000 EQM to make me Premier. I think the offer expired in mid-Feburary. I'm a bit surprised that I got this promo and you didn't-- perhaps you can look into this further from this angle.

Good luck.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Eek, but how are people miscounting?

The My Mileage Summary page online lists your YTD EQM total...so there shouldn't be any counting required?
OP apparently made the 1K qualifying flight on 12/31, so I guess there was just some miscalculation on the EQMs that hadn't posted yet. Still hard for me to believe people make such an egregious error.

I suppose it won't hurt to try to see if the buy eqm offer could be extended.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA CO BA AA DL SPG
I'd definitely call and give it a try.

While on Christmas vacation in Hawaii two years ago I realized my husband was approx. 1,700 miles away from 1P. I phoned and explained this to UA and together we put him on 4 flights around the Hawaiian islands on Hawaiian Airlines (when any flight under 500 miles was automatically credited for 500 miles). This should have brought him to 300 miles over the required 50k.

Imagine our surprise when in February we received his updated card that showed he was 2P. Apparently Hawaiian airlines is a partner airline, but NOT part of the alliance. Therefore miles flown on HA didn't count towards EWMs.

I phoned CR in the US and complained. After arguing with a representative, and being transfered to a supervisor, my husband was elevated to 1P. The supervisor could clearly see that we booked on the telephone, and that the only reason he took 4 flights in a row, in the course of 6 hours, was obviously to make status.

I think it worth a try. I mean, come on...600 miles away from 1K? They should give it to you on revenue collected alone!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I could have sworn we had a thread at the beginning of January that had a few postings of people who were even further away from 100,000 than the OP who received their SWU's anyway... it seemed there was a bit of a grace cutoff and it was few thousand miles under 100,000. But now I can't find the thread...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by char777
I got a promo letter in the mail in January telling me to go to united.com/buyeqm to buy the EQM I needed by the thousand. I didn't do it, because I only had 16,000 EQM and it was about $1400 for 9,000 EQM to make me Premier. I think the offer expired in mid-Feburary. I'm a bit surprised that I got this promo and you didn't-- perhaps you can look into this further from this angle.

Good luck.

That FastTrackbuy-up in Jan 2009 was limited to 1P or 2P -- not available for 1K, so OP would have not received e-mail promo
The standard Choice Points to EQMs was possible to use to achieve 1K but that had to be done by end of 2008.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: United 2P, HHonors Gold, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Gold
Worth a call to United...when I was short of 1P by 650 miles they gave it to me! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.