Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

RCC Renewal Roll Call: What did you do about renewing? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCC Renewal Roll Call: What did you do about renewing? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:52 pm

I'll take the PerksPlus route for only 20,000 points! Seems way better than the price of admission now-a-days.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
$50 "enrollment" fee

Renewed 21 Feb after expiring on 19 Jan. Paid $375. Called to ask why. 1st time told I was correctly charged $325. Checked again and it was $375 so called again. Different agent explained I had to pay the "enrollment" fee since I was more than 30 days expired. The new policy effective 1 Feb is to charge the fee as stated above. I missed it by three days. No trips reason for postponing renewal. Got a parking ticket!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
As noted in the chit thread...

Here's my plan:

Ok, so after being motivated by the new chit policy to think more deeply about it, looking around a bit it would seem to me that if I am going to do another ~150k miles this year (mostly on UA and LH) the best bet is to put my miles to an Air Canada account to make 35k which gives me *G on Aeroplan and with that status access to all *G lounges in the US, then get on with 1k requalification and just let the (now more expensive than ever) RCC membership expire when it does.

That way I get free access to RCCs, CO PLs, US ACs, etc without paying a dime. The only lounge I couldn't access to is AC ML lounges...except that my UA 1k *G will get me into those anyway.

I assume others must have realized this gambit before I figured it out and there are mounds of threads about it?

Stick THAT in your 'ancillary revenue' hat, UA/RCC drink policy decision-makers!

But I did identify one other snag: I was going to do it all at once right away (put the next 35k to AC) but then I realized I would risk missing out on earning CR1s. So I need to spread it out over the year. But that's fine since my RCC doesnt expire until November.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here's my plan:

Ok, so after being motivated by the new chit policy to think more deeply about it, looking around a bit it would seem to me that if I am going to do another ~150k miles this year (mostly on UA and LH) the best bet is to put my miles to an Air Canada account to make 35k which gives me *G on Aeroplan and with that status access to all *G lounges in the US, then get on with 1k requalification and just let the (now more expensive than ever) RCC membership expire when it does.

That way I get free access to RCCs, CO PLs, US ACs, etc without paying a dime. The only lounge I couldn't access to is AC ML lounges...except that my UA 1k *G will get me into those anyway.

I assume others must have realized this gambit before I figured it out and there are mounds of threads about it?

Stick THAT in your 'ancillary revenue' hat, UA/RCC drink policy decision-makers!

But I did identify one other snag: I was going to do it all at once right away (put the next 35k to AC) but then I realized I would risk missing out on earning CR1s. So I need to spread it out over the year. But that's fine since my RCC doesnt expire until November.
Won't you also forfeit the use of wifi?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here's my plan:

I assume others must have realized this gambit before I figured it out and there are mounds of threads about it?. ....
Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
and potentially passing another 50K barrier and forfeiting 2 SWUs

and while earning the AC status having some grief getting / keep E+ seating (if not upgraded)

Guess I missed seeing the great value of this approach to save $325.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
For $325 I can buy a whole lotta wifi. Or teather for free. Or use the broadband card if I am on a business trip.

The other advantage is that I'll be accumulating miles in an account that is not *net blocked for award travel. @:-) ^
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Couldn't find electrical outlet, went crawling back to RCC

Membership expired in December. I didn't travel much early this year and had trips through places without RCC's (JAX, BWI) or had short layovers. Yesterday I had 3 hours in LAX. I decided to tough it out in the terminal and buy a TMobile day pass. Before I could complete the transaction, my laptop ran out of juice. I searched all around and could not find a plug. I used my 1P husband's miles since mine are more valuable. And I sat in the more comfortable chair, had a banana, a cup of tea, and electricity. I have several more long layovers coming up, and I am glad to be back. It's not
the best club but it's our club.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
Renewed

Using the MP Visa Club Card, cheaper than individual RCC membership + Signature Visa. I checked with Chase, you do not have to spend "X" amount to keep club membership- minimum applies only if you're looking for EQMs. And, they reopened MSP RCC!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I'll renew again (I've been a member continuously since ~'93 or so), but I think I'll pay with miles this time instead of cash.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
My membership expired earlier this month and I'm not missing it. I rarely drink alcohol (you can't even use drink chits for bottles of water anymore), snacks have gone downhill, and I've got my own laptop broadband card. As I fly out of IAD, I have access to the LH lounge, which is far better than any RCC.

The only RCC benefit that I can think of would be during irregular ops.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by gregdane
Using the MP Visa Club Card, cheaper than individual RCC membership + Signature Visa. I checked with Chase, you do not have to spend "X" amount to keep club membership- minimum applies only if you're looking for EQMs. And, they reopened MSP RCC!
What is the annual fee? Does the card get you into CO PCs and US Clubs?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ramblers63
What is the annual fee? ....
The UA MP Club Visa (from Chase) is $375 annually, see http://www.mpfamilyofcards.com/7000002/default.aspx

Originally Posted by ramblers63
... Does the card get you into CO PCs and US Clubs?
Yes
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Has anyone renewed their membership past the expiration date, but before the 30-day grace period? My membership expires on 12/01, but I only have an int'l trip planned for the first half of December (so my *Gold status gets me access). And, I'm 1P so the mileage requirement will be the same after the increases next month. If say I renew around 12/20, will my new RCC membership expire on 12/20 (or 12/19) of 2011, or will it default to an expiration of 12/01/11 since that is when it would have expired if I did a normal renewal?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Has anyone renewed their membership past the expiration date, but before the 30-day grace period? My membership expires on 12/01, but I only have an int'l trip planned for the first half of December (so my *Gold status gets me access). And, I'm 1P so the mileage requirement will be the same after the increases next month. If say I renew around 12/20, will my new RCC membership expire on 12/20 (or 12/19) of 2011, or will it default to an expiration of 12/01/11 since that is when it would have expired if I did a normal renewal?
Don't forget price goes up Dec 5th I belive or itsthe 7th.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by davef139
Don't forget price goes up Dec 5th I belive or itsthe 7th.
It's the 7th.

For the first time, I actually renewed in miles. Terrible redemption value, actually, but I'm mileage rich at the moment and the holidays are right around the corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.