Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oversold LAX/HKG...what $$$ to expect

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2001, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Greetings from the RCC Room in Hong Kong.

To all of you following this thread....

BINGO! This writer is currently $600 richer thanks to the advice of my good friend tom911.
Due to weight restrictions on my flight, UA asked for 10 volunteers to fly out later.
Tom, you should have seen me JUMP. I was moving really fast without thinking.
I was in a middle seat in row 32. Couldn't use my SWU.
Well, 3 people were lucky enough to be rescheduled. By the way, great idea NOT to check luggage. Some others were sent back to the plane.
And they gave me a Check for the $$$, not a voucher. Woo hoo!

So now we're booked on Cathay (CX881) at 11:50 pm, a full 12 hours later.
But, this flight arrived Mon 3/12 about 3am local time. My return is just a few hours later. Ouch. Flying UA#2 at 12 noon ish.

Anyway, in addition to the 600, I ask for, and you'd all be proud of me, an operational upgrade to biz on the return to LAX and JFK. No problem dhammer53, they say. I learned well from all of you. And, they gave me 2 meal vouchers, and a hotel room.
And one more thing, since I'm landing and turning around, Mr. UA, can I take a shower in HKG? No problem. I love this.
So my seat is upstairs in 12A on the return to LAX.

Whew. And I'm using a computer at the RCC. FREE!
I'm gonna go have a drink.

Regards...
Dan

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old Mar 11, 2001, 6:48 pm

Way to go Dan! Don't forget to request your AA miles for your CX flight.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Hi Dan-

Glad to see you made out. Now you just have to catch up to me and get bumped two more times for 2001 Don't you love free operational upgrades!

You can get UA miles for that Cathay flight. Make sure you pick up a form for that if you have not already done so. UA should have them at ticket counters or possibly the Red Carpet Club (think someone previously mentioned getting the form there). I got UA miles for a Delta flight they rerouted me on last year, along with the 100% bonus, once I sent the form in. The UA miles on Cathay have to be requested.

Tom in Port Townsend WA tonight, just back from an overnight stay in Victoria BC

Old Mar 12, 2001, 3:03 am

Old Mar 12, 2001, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Actually, you should be able to get miles for both flights: (1) American miles for the Cathay flight you'll actually fly and (2) United miles for the flights you would have been on if it were not for the terrible inconvenience ( ) UA caused you. I've had great success emailing UA my requests for miles on reroutes -- no form required, just itinerary details and ticket number.

Way to go!
Old Mar 12, 2001, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Congratulations, dhammer53, on putting everything our fellow FTers have taught into practice!

Looking forward to hearing your story live in person tonight.

Charles
Old Mar 13, 2001, 1:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Good to hear you did it! I knew you would. It happened to me many times , but I never got $600..just a FC upgrade, food and LAX Hilton. You the man!

------------------
MRKEY
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:45 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Yes, the bump often goes to the most agile individual. Sometimes it's just a lucky chance.

In '99 I did a DEN-SEA-PDX R/T when they used to have those 4th of July specials for less than $200. After boarding the (very full) 777 DEN-SEA, I noticed that somebody was in my seat. I was standing at the boarding door waiting to talk to the purser, who was getting ready to make an announcement. She got to " . . . oversold situation and we're looking for two volunteers" and I had already raised my hand. At least five people I could see started waving and getting up but it was too late for them.

I think I got $200, a seat in F 90 min later and $6 for breakfast, so that trip was a money-maker for me. I would recommend not taking a seat until absolutely necessary if you think that they may be asking for volunteers.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
This is a bit off topic question but....

I'm doing a run to SIN in early May and will be heading right back for home after 7 hours in SIN. I'm going AUS-ORD-HKG-SIN-HKG-LAX-ORD-AUS. If any of the international flights happen to be oversold in C (I have confirmed NC seat) and I volunteer to be bumped--will they refuse to bump me because of my routing or will they adjust the routing? I rather suspect they'd rather not bump me and have to fix up all those routings? Also if I volunteer and _do_ get bumped and put me on different airline, would they put me in C or downgrade me to Y?

Thanks!

------------------
UA PremExec (2001)
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Mar 13, 2001, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Dupe

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 03-13-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.