Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Month left until SWU from 2000 expire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2001, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
One Month left until SWU from 2000 expire

Since most of the SWU expire on March 31, 2000 (like 1K status for non-renewed 1Ks)... and how many of us have SWU left.

I personally have 3 left.. I will probably use them like a NA upgrade... which is fine to me.. (wish I could go international.. but work mostly domestically)... Wondering how many 1Ks have SWU's left? And how did most people use them?

I traded 1 SWU and used 2 for domestic travel...

Old Feb 27, 2001, 1:19 pm

Or you could just gift (since my birthday is this Friday) or try and work out a trade on one of the 3 SWU's you have left to a poor soul who has flown international way too much this year in the back of the plane and is dreading having to do MUC-IAD on Mar. 10th and then IAD-LHR on Mar. 11th. Anyone interested in talking shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

Josh
Old Feb 27, 2001, 2:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I've heard of folks swapping 2001 expiring SWUs for 2002 expiring SWU at a rate of 3:2.

Of course, bartering of this sort is strictly forbidden by the terms of the SWU...
Old Feb 27, 2001, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
Or if someone wants to take pitty on my poor soul.....My next 4 weeks is really out of control:

3/3 - SFO-SEL
3/4 - SEL-SFO

3/9 - SFO-CDG
3/13 - CDG-SFO

3/15 - SFO-KOA
3/18 - KOA-SFO

3/27 - SFO-SIN
3-30 - SIN-SFO

~43,000 YTD miles in 28 days......If anyone who has some SWU's that are just going to sit around and expire, I'd love to take them on my world tour! I'll even bring you back momentos from all of my trips....

SFOPremex

[This message has been edited by SFOPremex (edited 02-27-2001).]
Old Feb 27, 2001, 3:59 pm

Programs: United
Take pity on you. I wish I were racking up all those miles this early in the year. Pity. Hah!!
Old Feb 27, 2001, 8:26 pm

SFOPremex,
you're going to Paris, Hawaii, Korea and Singapore and I'm supposed to feel sorry for you
Old Feb 27, 2001, 8:38 pm

Not SWU but I have a few HK49 expiring and wrote MP if I could convert them into miles or use them for intra-Asia upgrades. (I am based in Tokyo.) MP said while there is no policy set on HK49-mile conversion, after reviewing my account and loyalty to UA, they could exchange each HK49 into 1,000 miles and deposit them into my account. This is a case-by-case handling, they noted.

HK49 worth only 1,000 miles?
Old Feb 28, 2001, 2:32 am

How can you do SFO-SEL on 3/3 and return on 3/4? You gain a day going to Asia.

When ATC tells the pilot to fly over Woodside at 8,000 feet to pick up the radio beacon, do you prepare to jump?

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old Feb 28, 2001, 6:30 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Chiangi,

HK49 worth only 1,000 points? To me, that sounds like a poor transfer rate. Of course, the other option is nothing from United - which is their right.

Perhaps you should consider posting them on the Connection Board yourself and see what you are offerred.

I would think people would be more than willing to part with at least two 500 mile paper certificates for an HK49 (I know I would).

Just my two cents.

William
Old Feb 28, 2001, 8:02 am

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
The Seoul trip is a bit of a time warp. I leave 11:30am on Saturday and arrive 4:50pm on Sunday. I spend about 2 hours on the ground (where I deliver and review two contracts with a customer), then get back on the same plane and return back to SFO arriving Sunday at around noon. About 24 hours roundtrip, with 22 of those on the plane.

I've done this sort of trip before, and usually work the whole way there, and sleep the whole way back since the return time usually mirrors west coast night time quite well. Also, very little jet lag since the body has no time to even try and adjust.

LIH - I wish I could jump off in Woodside, in fact, it is not too hard too spot the area since most of the Pacific approaches come right over our town. Probably would save me at least an hour or so!

I'll send a trip report when I return!

SFOPremex
Old Feb 28, 2001, 8:59 am

Originally posted by wharvey:
Chiangi,

HK49 worth only 1,000 points? To me, that sounds like a poor transfer rate
William, my sentiment exactly ....

I thought it's worth a bit more than that. The message did sound like that's what they are going to establish but I certainly hope not. I would rather go for exchanges.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I know it is weird... I would prefer to have two NA Upgrades instead of 1 systemwide.. but alas.. they give me 6 systemwides.. and I use it in the system, just in North America..
Old Mar 10, 2001, 10:12 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
By the way, what is the policy for exchanging an HK49 for a later date? I have one for 3/31/01 that I won't be able to use; wondering if they would give a one or two month extension on it. Or does it depend on which CSR I get or his/her mood swing at that moment?

Thx
Jamester
Old Mar 10, 2001, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I wonder how it works in surrendering your Upgrades earlier. I have done this before..but I wonder if you surrender a now VALID confirmed upgrade in advance of a flight... would they take it and accept it for a flight where it would not be valid on? (ie expired).

Either way.. I traded a Systemwide for 4 500 miles in the Red Carpet club.. the CSR did not seem to mind me giving them instead of the systemwide even though it was a confirmed upgrade..

Neat.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 1:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally posted by LAX 1K:
I traded a Systemwide for 4 500 miles in the Red Carpet club.. the CSR did not seem to mind me giving them instead of the systemwide even though it was a confirmed upgrade..

Neat.
O-o-o-h-h-h, LAX 1K, that hurts. I'm flying four international flights yet this month, and have been offering people 7 500-mile certs (all I have left in paper), trying to get one SWU. People have been sneering at me! (OK, so everyone has been very kind, but very dismissive of my offer.) WHY OH WHY wasn't I the lucky person in the Red Carpet Club when you offered to exchange?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.