Wiki Posts
Search

Saver First Award no First Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Saver First Award no First Seats

Wondering if anyone has had this happen and been able to receive any credit. Trish in SEA, maybe you have a suggestion?

Two friends were flying from the east coast to come to SFO and visit me. One flew on a revenue ticket which I upgraded with miles, the other flew on a First Class Saver Award. When I ticketed, there were NF seats for the upgraded revenue ticket, but no XF seats on the two outbound segments for the award ticket. So that both pax could fly on the same plane, I took Y seats instead and the award pax was put on the PA1 waitlist.

Tonight they flew on their flights and the move from Y to F didn't clear. They asked for a downgrade certificate and were told to call Mileage Plus.

Is there a chance MP would issue a downgrade certificate or perhaps issue partial credit for the miles ?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Please provide more facts.

The passenger with the revenue ticket, were miles collected for the upgrade to F? Did the passenger fly in F on the outbound? Did the passenger fly in F on the return?

The passenger with the First award. Were miles collected for the First award or Economy award? Did the passenger fly in F on the outbound? Did the passenger fly in F on the return?

OR
Were both passengers on revenue tickets?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally posted by seawolf:
The passenger with the revenue ticket, were miles collected for the upgrade to F??
YES
Did the passenger fly in F on the outbound?
YES
The passenger with the First award. Were miles collected for the First award or Economy award?
First Award
Did the passenger fly in F on the outbound?
No, there were no confirmable XF seats available, though there were plenty of F and NF seats. They put him on the PA1 waitlist which never cleared for him.
Did the passenger fly in F on the return?
Both pax will be in First on the return, confirmed, but that isn't until next Monday, 3/12.
Were both passengers on revenue tickets?
The first pax was on a Q fared ticket, upgraded with my miles. The second was strictly an award ticket, hence due to no XF available, they relegated him to coach.

[This message has been edited by SFO 1K (edited 03-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SFO 1K (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Since the passenger with the upgrade award did/will be flying F on both the outbound and return, no credit is to be given.

Award tickets are issued as round-trips. Technically, MileagePlus will not issue any credit for the award passenger's ticket. You can try calling and pleading.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 2:29 pm

It happened to be once... my grandparents and parents got downgraded. I wrote a polite but persistent letter to the MP department.

Since it took 10,000miles to upgrade one way, I got the 10,000miles back.

For the downgraded XF ticket, you return the miles differences between F and Y to me. In your case, 40,000miles RT F... He flew F class oneway and Y class the return...
Technically, one way F is 20,000miles and one way Y is 12,500, and as a result, UA supposedly returns your 7500miles to you account.

I showed them my calculation and got a refund. Be nice and you will get the miles back.

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.