Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seeking tips: PDX-SFO-SYD / meals / upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2001, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Hello All. Going to Oz; first time in early March. Am PremExec member. As much as I've flown i've not ordered a special meal - what is the best? (for regular joe food critic). I'm flying coach - any tips on getting the dream free upgrade to biz class? Any hope they've added the leg room to Econ Plus on these 747s? Last year flew Hong Kong -LAX - so know what a long flight is; any ways of making it better are appreciated... Oh More Experienced Ones - lend me your tips Thank you.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 9:03 am

use your miles! long trip worth it. omaprex
Old Mar 3, 2001, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If the flight is fully booked, you could volunteer at check in to be bumped and fly the next day. That got me an upgrade from award travel in business to first class about 1 1/2 years back. There were no seats the next day in business, so they grabbed the last two first class seats for me and a new friend from Melbourne who both gave up our seats. Strategy could work in coach, too, if it is oversold.

The downside, though, is that you could end up with a middle seat in coach the next day if it is not oversold two days in a row.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The downside, though, is that you could end up with a middle seat in coach the next day if it is not oversold two days in a row.
I've never been bumped and not been upgraded when there were ANY seats available in the next class of service. The trick is letting them know that you expect to be treated extra well in exchange for helping them balance their loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.