Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rch4u
And AUS, BWI, DFW, SAT (CR7) ... lots of those 1x daily flights for Asian connections.
There is also a good chunk of asia departures in the evening around midnight.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No surprise -- certainly more overdue than it should have been.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There are a ton of companies in every city in the world. That doesn't mean there's lots of elite traffic.
True - though I would add that in addition to the fortune 500's based in MSP, I know quite a few consultants (self included) who travel >75% and, given the option to live anywhere with a major airport have chosen MSP (direct to either coast in <3 hours, direct to Asia and Europe)... While that isn't unique to MSP (ORD and IAH have some of the same advantages) I definitely think we have a disproportionate elite population...

In any event, I'm really excited about UA adding this route... Competition on MSP-OAK has dropped prices considerably...

Being based in MSP, I've never missed an upgrade to/from SFO (NW 757s) or OAK (typically DC9/320/175s connecting in SLC)... However, NW's 320 service between SJC-MSP is elite heavy... I've had a few Friday afternoon flights where I notice the platinum luggage tag on every briefcase down the exit row!!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
There is also a good chunk of asia departures in the evening around midnight.
But those connections are not on UA. Those connections are on non *A or non codeshare partners. Yes there is a SYD flight but UA would rather feed the multiple Asian flights rathern thatn the single SYD flights. Also booking international code-shares are more expensive than booking UA directly in most cases.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: Lifetime PassPlus, 1K, 2MM, LT United Club, HH Diamond
How about perfecting MSP-ORD first?

Tried to get to ord from msp this afternoon. Was on #586 at 1:24. Was told just before schedule that there was a tire problem and.... So got off that flight and onto next one (#438 at 3:10 p.m.) Canceled "mechanical." The flight attendant on #334 at 4 something (she was great, by the way) said that United had laid off "all" its mechanics in MSP, thus the issues. Could this possibly be true?

Now, I feel better. Back to Msp-SFO on United.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I can't remember how many flights NW has had historically on MSP-SFO in summers past, but right now for the summer it is showing 7x daily, 6 757s and 1 A320.

I'm not expecting much of a retalitory response, it's once a day for connecting feed that they carry already for the most part. A few years back AA added MSP-MIA quietly for its morning LatAm bank, and NW didn't retaliate. Now I just wish they added a second late flight out and early flight back for the deep S. Am. bank...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Arrow Not a totally new route

UA has run this city pairing before. I think it must have been between 5 and 10 years ago we had nonstop SFO service. Another service that was added and since cut was daily MSP-IAD. As an earlier post states this new service could also connect with Australian flights giving people the option of a day in SFO. A great way to break up that trip.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
But those connections are not on UA. Those connections are on non *A or non codeshare partners. Yes there is a SYD flight but UA would rather feed the multiple Asian flights rathern thatn the single SYD flights. Also booking international code-shares are more expensive than booking UA directly in most cases.
I guess I'd forgotten that the only things left in the evening are the SYD and HKG flights. Seems I used to see more 744 activity at night
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I guess I'd forgotten that the only things left in the evening are the SYD and HKG flights. Seems I used to see more 744 activity at night
Do you mean the SQ flight to HKG? The UA SFO-HKG leaves around noon (11:55 AM).
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
Thumbs up Great News!!!

Happy about this news! Been flying SFO-MSP for years via DEN and ORD, I've always wondered why there wasn't a non-stop - I know we'll definitely be booking this flight for our trips!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
ua and sfo/msp

i have never seen UA fly non stop between SFO and MSP, was making a reservation and lo and behold UA has one non stop a day between the two cities, having living in sf for years i have never seen this route on UA nonstop before nor have i seen UA advertise it

interesting
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It's no longer a rumor. Its confirmed.

SFO-MSP nonstop starts tomorrow June 4th

operated by A320
Mon-Sat departs 12:50pm arrives 6:26PM

operated by A319
Sun only departs 12:44pm arrives 6:20pm

MSP-SFO

operated by A319
Mon-Sat departs 7:00am arrives 9:00am
Sat only departs 7:05am arrives 9:05am
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
A319 out of SFO? Good luck trying to upgrade...I'd much rather take the 757 via ORD (more EQMs and an extra EQS)...
Choosing to go through ORD, and then cram onto the always-oversold ORD-MSP 737? No way. MSP handles snow far better than ORD, and ORD has it's other issues (air traffic, thunderstorms).

All that for an alleged 'better chance at upgrade' and more EQM/EQS? No thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
A good new route for the non-NW/DL folks and who don't want to connect through DEN or ORD. Always nice to see new routes from SFO.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:15 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
And now this route seems to have gone. My November itinerary on it has switched to SFO - DEN - MSP.

Looking on the bright side, I trade 90 minutes extra travel time for an extra 58 EQM I don't need (and 116 RDM!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.