Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Saver award to Hawaii next winter - how early to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2001, 6:32 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

My sister wants to cash in her miles for two saver awards to Hawaii next winter - either November/early December, or (more likely) January-March.

Problem is, she won't know until August if my nephew is going to stay there (a visit being the purpose of the trip) or move back to the mainland.

How far in advance will she need to book? Can she wait until August or should she book now and risk having to pay the fee to redeposit the miles? And we recognize that any past experience is subject to change, what with mergers, flight eliminations, etc.

On the plus side, she's pretty flexible within those date ranges...and at least she'll be flying out of GEG - I'll bet DEN-Hawaii is near impossible in the winter, since both ends are high traffic for awards!
Old Jan 9, 2001, 8:58 pm

Being the largest airline in US, you don't have to worry too much about merger or bankruptcy at the United Airlines. Award tickets can be booked months in advance and are usually quite flexible to change. The high season in Hawaii is in the winter months, from Christmas to March... So if she wants to go during this period, act early. Unless she has an elite status with the airlines, it might be hard to get a place. It is not unusual to hear that places are fully booked 5 or 6 months in advance to popluar destinations like Hawaii or Europe, during the high season.

So my advice is to act early. You can change the dates free without even a need to reissue... The penalty charge is there only if you want to change routing or redeposit mileage back.
Old Jan 10, 2001, 8:45 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I flew 4 of us from Denver (thru LAX) to Hawaii this past Christmas (12/24 - 1/5)on saver awards. We booked sometime in May/June as I recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.