Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is SFO-NRT so expensive now?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
It would be cancelled if all the legs were on UA, but I don't think that KAL tells United who shows up and who doesn't. I did this once, a few years back, as PDX-SEA-NRT-ground to HND-SEL and back, with the HND-SEL and SEL-HND legs on Korean Air. I didn't take either KAL flight as my destination was Tokyo. United didn't notice that I didn't show for the KAL flights, and KAL didn't tell United to cancel my reservations.

[Added:] I think what makes it work is the ground break from Narita to Haneda; I think that's what makes UA not notice if I don't show for the Haneda flights.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
The reason I did it is that I wanted to fly business class to Tokyo and back, and the business class fare was 40% cheaper if I added the KAL legs to the ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Law Lord
I don't think that KAL tells United who shows up and who doesn't.
If it's on one e-ticket, everything is supposed to be recorded there. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:18 pm

"Supposed" is of course the key word. Maybe they talk better to each other today; I last tried this stunt in 2004.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
WOW. ICN is so much cheaper than NRT, it's not even funny. Guess I'll be visiting Seoul again for a short period of time.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
ICN is so much cheaper than NRT
In more ways than one.

Sometimes you can find a fare to ICN that allows a stopover in NRT (usually on the return IIRC).
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won't necessarily need to go through ICN.

Just go find a consolidator ticket. That's probably what the "student" fare above is an example of. Most consolidator tickets earn miles. A few are even upgradeable. However, in every case, you need to check before buying if either of those are important.

Although it's hard to get detailed info, consolidator tickets from the U.S. to/from Japan are VERY common.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA,NH,WN
I went to NRT in September with a one-way ticket purchased from Studentuniverse. After booking, I called United to add my MP number to the reservation. The tickets were W-class fares and earned full mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.