Wiki Posts
Search

two class vs 3 class service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2000, 2:17 pm
mjd
Original Poster

two class vs 3 class service

It seems to me that when I travel business on a three class flight, the service seems to be good, but not great. But when I fly business on a flight with bsiness and coach only, the service seems to be better. It seems like on a three class, the flight attendants are almost thinking that your not good enough to get my best service, but I'll be polite with you. Is it just me? Any other imput would be appreciated.
Old Nov 11, 2000, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
2 class on UA is First, not business (with the exception of a few latin american 2 cabin flights). So you are getting the meal service and staffing ratio for F. My experience, as probably the experience of most, is variability. I've had some excellent 3 cabin C flights, some that were "glorified economy" in a cushier seat. I'm often inclined to take a 2 cabin F seat over a 3 cabin C seat if its at a time where the seat comfort isn't as important as the service.
Old Nov 11, 2000, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
mjd,

If you're talking about International Business, then you may have gotten a bad flight; since I've never had bad service on International C class. Occassionally I would fly SFO-DEN on a 3 class and service was just so-so, but it beats sitting in the back of the plane. Food is also a lot better.

Maybe I'm just easy to please. Or maybe it's just you. (just kidding)

Thx
Jamester
Old Nov 11, 2000, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mjd, I agree with you if you are talking about domestic flights.

I think the seats and space in 3-Class Business is better than 2-Class First. But the service and meal presentation is better in 2-Class First, IMHO. I think this has to do with Business Class being designed for, well, Business travelers. Business travelers who are more likely to want to just get the meal over with so they can get to sleep or work. In Business your entire meal (appitizer, main and dessert) is usually brought all on one tray.

In 2-Class First, the service seems to be more "First Class" with each course being brought separately, and on some flights even the famous United Ice Cream Sundae Cart.

So for me (I can't sleep on planes and love the attention) I prefer the 2-Class First. But if you can/need to sleep or work on your flight, or are reliant on "time" upgrades where one might stand a better chance of clearing the upgrade list, I would suggest 3-Class Business.
Old Nov 11, 2000, 7:51 pm

Despite the location in the United forum, I think MJD was talking about an international two-class product (CO, DL) vs. an international three-class product.

Another case of a non-airline specific topic finding its way to the united forum.
Old Nov 12, 2000, 6:03 am
mjd
Original Poster

biz jet, that was exactly what I was talking about. I chose the united web site because this sight gets the most action. But I posted the topic on trip report instead, to get more people involved. Thank you for phrasing my question better. I hope you have some trip coming up, I enjoy reading your reports!!
Old Nov 12, 2000, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
mjd, on my international 3-class flights I've found the service in business to be almost as good as the service in first class. The main difference I've noticed between F and C is that F has more space and (with luck) a flat bed. But IMHO the difference between C and F service on UA international flights is very small, compared to the difference between Y "service" and C service.

In his book on executive travel, Mark McCormack said (and I agree) is that the real reason airlines close the curtain between F and C is not to keep the C pax from envying the F pax, but to keep the F pax from realizing how little extra they get for their $.

------------------
"If you want to win the game, write the rules."
Old Nov 13, 2000, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam

I asked exactly this question (and got the same responses) in advance of my SFO-IAD flight: I had a choice of 757 (2 class) or 777 (3 class; it went on to AMS) within 10 minutes of each other.

I decided that catering for a breakfast flight wouldn't be too much different, but the seat would be, especially since it's an early flight and I wanted to sleep after the meal. So I chose business on the 3-class plane, and napped happily across the country .
Old Nov 13, 2000, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

As always PremEx has nailed it on the head. Only pick Business on a 3 class craft over First on a 2 class if you are concerned with seats vs service. However, if you think that you will get the double UG...but as I found out the RCC lady can tyoe NO DOUBLE UG on your PNR.
Old Nov 13, 2000, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Law Lord:

Prior to the advent of the First Suite, I agreed with you completely. With the First Suite, however, it is a LOT better than C. Lots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.