Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2000, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I, for one, who did get to 1k for the first time, the hard way (100 segs), think it's wonderful what UA is doing. Way to go.

For those who somehow feel slighted, grow up! There's enough room for lots of people. And if it means that we will sit in coach a few more times because not enough upgrades are available, so we'll sit in coach.
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:10 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
As crummy as it sounds.. still better than lowering it to 50%... and United is doign whatever it can to keep their top flyers.

Good luck to them
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
FYI:

My friend just called the United Premier desk, who called the 1K desk and asked. She quoted the mileage levels outlined above. My friend then asked if these levels were for requalification or any qualification, and she said that they would apply regardless of your status this year.

My friend said specifically: "So, if I hit 84,000 miles during 2000, regardless of my status, I will be 1K on January 1, 2001." The agent said yes.

[This message has been edited by SJC AA (edited 10-23-2000).]
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:13 pm

I just got the e-mail. It would appear that UA has reduced the thresholds for status for anyone, not just re-qualification. Here it is:

TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOYALTY, HERE ARE LOWER PREMIER
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS YEAR ONLY.

Dear Mr. X:

Your travel on United is deeply appreciated, and we'd like
to see you reach the level of recognition and reward in the
Mileage Plus(R) program you deserve.

We're concerned that you may have come close to meeting
the standard flight requirements for a Premier(R)
membership but are short of the goal due to travel
opportunities you missed through no fault of your own.
That's why we are reducing the criteria for Premier 2001
status.

Here are the new, lower levels you need to reach before
December 31, 2000.

FOR 1K(R) STATUS:
84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
100,000 miles or 100 segments

FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
50,000 miles or 60 segments

FOR PREMIER STATUS:
21,000 paid flight miles or 27 paid segments instead of
25,000 miles or 30 segments

Please note that this reduction in Premier flight
requirements applies to achieving 2001 status only. Your
2001 status will be based on the qualifying miles or
segments flown in 2000, and will be effective on
January 1, 2001. While we could lower the requirements
even more for our loyal customers, we will not dilute the
value of Premier status. If we were to further lower the
2001 threshold, the benefits would not be as rich, and
privileges, such as Priority Boarding, would lose their
meaning. To reward the majority who have stood by United
this year, we want to make sure our Premier program for
2001 remains one of the most rewarding ever.

You will receive the appropriate Premier membership kit
and card in February 2001.

As previously announced, our most loyal customers will
receive an extra reward. Premier members will receive an
ADDITIONAL 25% bonus and Premier Executive or 1K members
an ADDITIONAL 100% bonus retroactively for United-operated
flights flown between May 1 and December 31, 2000. This
extra bonus will be based on your status on
December 31, 2000, under the standard criteria
(not the reduced criteria above). For example, if you
are currently a Premier member, to qualify for the 100%
bonus, you will need 50,000 miles or 60 segments by
December 31, 2000. These bonus miles will be credited to
your account in January 2001. (MPG 210)

We look forward to serving you again soon. Thank you for
continuing to choose United for your travels.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE OR UPDATE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this
address cannot be answered. If you have comments or
questions, please visit united.com and click on the
"Contact United" link. To unsubscribe from the
Mileage Plus e-mail list, change your subscription
preferences or update your e-mail address, please go to
the e-mail preferences section at:
http://www.united.com/updateprofile

This e-mail message and its contents are copyrighted
and are proprietary products of United Airlines.
Copyright 2000 United Air Lines, Inc. All rights reserved.

UAMP 10102564 10/00 MPP 070
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

(the first UA email to Droneklax was probably only for current 1K, but the last one above, meets now exactly what I need: I just now have 84'120 UA status miles, the rest of my year 2'000 flights will go into my LH miles&more account now).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 10-23-2000).]
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:24 pm

Interesting that the summer from hell bonus is given only to people who qualify under the normal criteria. This has the effect of providing an extra incentive to make 1P the old fashioned way--going from 42K to 50K gives the extra 75% bonus. But there's no extra incentive for 100K versus 84K from this.

Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
I just spoke to the Premier Exec desk and heard that the lower requirements are for existing Premier Exec (or premier or 1k) or new member. So it does not sound like there is any distinction between new or existing premier levels......Bang! I just got the email too.

Not sure how I feel about this.....I will be making 55-60k this year, but only time will tell if this new program makes things like upgrading, award usage or other areas less available.

[This message has been edited by SFOPremex (edited 10-23-2000).]
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:31 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I guess I'm pretty upset by this turn of events-- I understand why United's doing it (makes good business sense on a macro level) but I think it is largely an affront to those of us who've actually done our real 100,000 miles (or even more)-- and understood that to be the policy.

I've just called corporate Customer Relations (MileagePlus doesn't handle this-- it's a corporate decision) and lodged my complaint.

I'd encourage everyone who's similarly inclined to call corporate Customer Relations (877 228-1327; there's also a special Premier number which you can get from Reservations) and let them know what you think. They'll surely be keeping tallies on reactions, and if you think (as I do) that something should also be done to recognize those who've flown an actual 100,000, let 'em know.

Sort of reminds me of when the mileage levels for awards were first changed-- didn't that provoke the whole "original miles" issue, and weren't people pretty upset then, too?

[This message has been edited by 1K-SFO (edited 10-23-2000).]
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Rudi - I think you are mistaken. Reading the last e-mail and all the posts I think it definitely applies to everyone. Regardless of re-qualification, moving from one level to the next or first time qualification of any level at all.
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:37 pm

Droneklax

[This message has been edited by pattius (edited 10-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by pattius (edited 10-23-2000).]
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MP, AA Advantage, IHG, HH
Good to see everybody here, I have been so busy I have not had time to catch up on the latest from UA. I just got the same email that I assume all Premiers got.

I think this great for 1K members such as myself who have had the 1K status for many years and have had to switch carriers during UA's troubles. My business travel this year required exact timing that I could not trust UA with through a good part of 2000 and I feel this offer provides us a way to to give UA another chance. It was hard for me to switch carriers for a great deal of travel while losing the chance to earn more MP miles. Cathay I am sure was happy to have me on board and the service was great, but it still did not reach the quality of service I seem to get as a 1K with UA.

Yes, I suppose there will be more 1K's next year (2001), and although many here have worked hard to reach to 100,000 miles/100 segments the hard way, there were many like myself that had to make alternative arrangements while wishing we still could retain our loyalty to UA. If UA works hard at restoring more flights, better seat allocation and eliminates "Employee First Class", there would enough benefits for all.

I think its great and somewhat in line with the ideas PremEx came up with during the summer. Way to go

------------------
1K for 6 years and running!
Old Oct 23, 2000, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
SF1K: thank you - I was typing slow a response to Droneklax' UA-email which seems to be addressed only to existing 1K's.

no problem now that I can read UA's email that was just posted (during I was typing) above my last response here.
Old Oct 23, 2000, 4:07 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

It is kind of neat that PremEx "called" this a while back.

However, being at 200+ segments and ending the year with well in excess of 200K, this makes me upset. I sincerely hope UA recognizes those who stuck with than above and beyond.
Old Oct 23, 2000, 4:18 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I got the mail too.

It is interesting that the mileage threshhold has been lowered by 16%, but the segment threshhold has been lowered by 10%. Given that it is much harder to qualify on segments than on flight miles shouldn't the two have been lowered equally?
Old Oct 23, 2000, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
I also received the email.

PG: For some of us who fly mostly short haul, it can be easier to qualify on segs vs. miles. Case in point, I'll make 1K (at the standard level) on segs before miles because I'm at 97 segs vs. a smidge under 88K status miles.

What is interesting is that your status at the reduced thresholds does not kick in until 01/01/01 but I assume that if you make 1K on the standard amount before year end, your status kicks in right away as usual, right? I actually hope that they do something extra for those who qualify on the standard number since I'd make it.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.