Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's New Biz Cabin Wins Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Considering that there are only two U.S. airlines with true lie-flat business-class seats -- DL and UA -- this isn't much of a competition. That said, UA did quite well with its new lie flat seat. My only real complaint is that the seat needs some additional lumbar support when it is configured as a bed.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Its the only good seat on UA airlines and we are .....ing?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by why fly
Its the only good seat on UA airlines and we are .....ing?
That's the United FT Forum style
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtrav
AA's are angled lie flat not true lie flat.
Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
The seats are sweet!

I love the C seats. They are just so much fun, and the AVOD is amazing. This is a huge feather in UA's cap. I really think these seats have made a huge difference in international travel. Again, compared to other international airlines, it may not be as good, but compared to the old C, these seats are awesome. I love flying C international United!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by PanHam
Not really groundbreaking news, but, still intriguing:

United named best U.S. airline for international business class service.

Leading Edge We're pleased to announce that United's new international business class service, featuring true 180° flat bed seats, has been honored by Executive Travel magazine with its 2008 Leading Edge award for Best Domestic Airlines for Business Class Service.
I wrote the magazine suggesting that they change the award to Best Business Class Seat
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
I wrote the magazine suggesting that they change the award to Best Business Class Seat
Nice! I agree - the magazine needs to add a huge disclaimer, be it how ever obvious, that they are simply addressing the hard product.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Has anyone flown the new DL BusinessElite seats that are fully lie flat in the wishbone configuration? I would imagine this would be less cramped in terms of width when compared to the 2-4-2 configuration on UA's 744s.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:18 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by John26
..... cramped in terms of width when compared to the 2-4-2 configuration on UA's 744s.
I absolutely dislike the 2-4-2 configuration on UA ... in other words, if I don't get a confirmed aisle seat, I am not sure how I am going to survive getting in and out from the middle seats or the window seat.

There is no space to maneuver if the aisle seat passenger has decided to lay flat for the entire flight!

I had the terrible flight from HKG - JFK last week when the 2 middle seats passengers were a couple who decided to get up every half hour to stretch their legs. They knocked into my feet incessantly, woke me up numerous times and in the end, I decided that it was a futile effort trying to even get 40 winks.

Dreadful!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by World_Traveller
I absolutely dislike the 2-4-2 configuration on UA ... in other words, if I don't get a confirmed aisle seat, I am not sure how I am going to survive getting in and out from the middle seats or the window seat.

There is no space to maneuver if the aisle seat passenger has decided to lay flat for the entire flight!

I had the terrible flight from HKG - JFK last week when the 2 middle seats passengers were a couple who decided to get up every half hour to stretch their legs. They knocked into my feet incessantly, woke me up numerous times and in the end, I decided that it was a futile effort trying to even get 40 winks.

Dreadful!
The same holds true of BA club world. You have to step over the other person's feet. I'd rather take the window and be the waker instead of the wakee...
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
Leave it to UA to take a great idea and screw it all up - then win an award doing so.

Does this award mean that they have upgraded all UA metal to the new C seats?

I remember my NRT-ORD flight Aug07 reading Hemispheres and UA's proud announcement of converting to the new seats by Fall 07. Wasn't there in Feb and wasn't there in Jun/Jul08 on IAD-FRA-IAD and IAD-Zurich flights.

As a side note, I just took a look at SQ's website and their C seats. I'm sad.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:35 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Well, I am excited... I have a flight booked from SEA-ORD-CDG in February and my ORD-CDG upgrade was just confirmed in a 763 with the new C configuration! (via SWU; the SEA-ORD upgrade was confirmed at booking)

I snagged 7K and 7J, the first forward facing window pair available (I didn't want to fly backwards my first time). I have a waitlisted upgrade for the return flight from LHR-ORD, also with the new configuration. I booked both ways with the new seats hoping that I would at least make one upgrade; so far so good. I will keep my fingers crossed for the return flight.

This will be my first experience with the new seating, I can't wait! ^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by World_Traveller

You do realize the new seats are far easier to get in and out of compared to the old recliners? This is because the seat in front of you no longer reclines in to your space, which made it much more difficult to get in and out of.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:05 am

[QUOTE=worldtrav;10927629]You do realize the new seats are far easier to get in and out of compared to the old recliners? This is because the seat in front of you no longer reclines in to your space, which made it much more difficult to get in and out of.[/QUOTY]

I agree. With the old seats, you'd wake up two people: the person next to you and the person in front of him because you'd push his seat around just to get out. It's easier with new configuration, no question.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Does this award refer to new 763 and new 744, or just one of them? I've not flown the new C but have confirmed C on 744 UA900 SFO/FRA in February and I'm hoping/excited for new C but also paranoid that it'll get switched to old configuration.

The main reason for my paranoia is that I selected 14A, because it faces forward and is upstairs. My old C favorite 15 faces backwards. Thus my fear that there's a plane switch that day and I'll feel envious for not being in 15. This may be my only trip flying 744 C in upcoming months if not years.

Last edited by gaobest; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:01 pm Reason: paranoia explanation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.