Wiki Posts
Search

Should I go for 200K?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2000, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Should I go for 200K?

I know that on paper the highest level is 1K, are there any hidden benefits for reaching 2K? Any special gifts at the beginning of the year?

I am trying to plan my travel for the remaining of the year and could end up anywhere between 150-200K on UA.

Thanks for any experiences or thoughts you have on this.
Old Sep 28, 2000, 10:35 pm

Well seeing as UAL is giving those extra bonus miles from May thru Dec and that if you reach 1 Million flight miles you receive Premiere Exec. ststus for life...I'd stick with UA for the duration
Old Sep 29, 2000, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Triple miles on say 100K is hard to beat. Not to mention a fist full of extra PAPER upgrade certs, that will become like Gold when they automate!
Old Sep 29, 2000, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
And can't speak for anyone else but if I clocked up 200K in a calender year I'd politely ask for TWO x 1K goodie kits early 2001 - I very much doubt anyone giving them that kind of business would get knocked back.
Old Sep 29, 2000, 2:07 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Bagold-- Im also in a very similar situation. Ive already clocked up over 150K and could go for breaking the 200K barrier. For now, Im more inclined to see if I can make SEN with LH. I have not made up my mind yet, but the case for SEN gets stronger if I see that our own Rudi seems to be doing very nicely with having both UA & LH top-tier status.

Im still mulling it over.... of course, Ozstamps has a valid point that if one hits 200K, a nice letter to UA should be expected to produce a little something.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Sep 29, 2000, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a current 2K (207K in 1999) and I got nothing extra. I called and asked if they had anything special for 200Ks and was told, sorry, no.
Old Sep 29, 2000, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I have chosen to split my miles between UAL and AS mostly because I have occasion to fly to Alaska and Mexico which are not especially well served by UAL. While I do regret not contributing all my flight miles toward my UAL Million Mile Status, the other benefits outweigh this in my mind.

AS also has some really smoking deals up and down the west coast and provides a great catch all for miles earned when I am forced to fly TWA, NWA, CO, KLM, AA or BA.

Our personal needs and desires are all so different and they are what is really most important in making these decisions.
Old Sep 29, 2000, 9:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
PremEx, have you emailed customer service or tried a letter...?
Old Sep 29, 2000, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have communicated by letter and in face to face meetings with United management my suggestion that there be some sort of extra "gift" for each additional (that is past the first 1K 100,000 mile mark) 100,000 mile/100 segment threshold passed in a calendar year, for any member that displays such loyalty.

I did not, other than my phone call mentioned above, ask for something special just for myself.
Old Sep 29, 2000, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Don't know how many more miles you are talking about, but every 8,333 flight miles with a double bonus is a free coach flight if you are 1K by the end of the year. I'd stick with United (not counting the other bonuses that apply, booking on the web, affinity card to pay for it, etc)
Old Oct 8, 2000, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
And lifetime PremEx for the million miles is pretty good. Are you going to do 200K/year on UA for a while? If so, then plow ahead to 1MM miles (that's my goal but it will take me a lot longer )

------------------
"If you want to win the game, write the rules."
Old Oct 8, 2000, 10:12 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

I am in the same boat miles wise. Although I will reach reach 200K even if I switch 1/2 of my trips to AA. And I am really close to 200 segments. I will be writing UA once I have crossed to 200K mark to "inquire" if they have any extra goodie. As PremEx stated, the answer is "No", but I want them to put it writing that a 200Ker does not deserve anyting special. Especially this year!
Old Oct 8, 2000, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You probably will get something...this year. Anyone who made 200K or 200 segments in 2000 should get lifetime status, too! IMHO.
Old Oct 8, 2000, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm already well over 200K and will probably hit 300K but I split them between Oneworld and Star (UA & BA). I do this since both airlines say that there is nothing above UA 1K or BA Gold. As AuH20 knows, I've asked the President of Mileage Plus this question. She said no and I told her that's why I fly BA so often.

I think there are too few of us to matter. It takes a big effort for airlines to establish new programs and apparently we're just not worth it.
Old Oct 8, 2000, 5:19 pm

Originally posted by stimpy:
I'm already well over 200K and will probably hit 300K but I split them between Oneworld and Star (UA & BA)...
Stimpy, how many days week/month/year are you on a plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.