Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL: 1P and *AG get Priority Boarding thru the Economy Lane as of Nov 12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICIAL: 1P and *AG get Priority Boarding thru the Economy Lane as of Nov 12

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Actually, it might make more sense if it was a big *G to further differentiate it from the big 1K they currently have. It would also simplify it for the *G members of other airlines. @:-)
I agree. I know that TG does put "*G" on their BPs.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by flymetokix
I'm sure lots of people will run out and make mileage runs to take advantage of this exciting new development.

Priority boarding is already a joke most of the time. The fewer people on the red carpet the better.

Yeah, and then you have the dilemma of whether to board early in order to secure storage space, and the privilege of sitting on a United airplane for sometimes up to 30 extra minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
I'm not quite sure that *G is necessarily more valuable to UA than a UA 2P. If you give your $$$ to another carrier most of the time and fly UA rarely, I would like to see UA protect it's own elite (even low level) above the partners elites. After all, they have a choice as to who to credit miles to and claim to be loyal to. if they are not UA gold/silver, then their loyalty is not to UA. )and loyalty means sacraficing some benefits on one for a concentratin on another.)
While this may be true in general, as a 1K I gave more money this year to LH than to UA. (Ignore the fact that they share revenue over the water, please). Does that make me more loyal to UA or LH? In general, when UA offers a 'priority' service to 1P's, that should be extended to *G as well.

UA doesn't even charge *S for checked baggage, and that is hard, cold cash.

It is [an] inconvienence to have stragelers come up at any time.
Not for us.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, as a lowly 2P, currently 4,000 miles short of 1P, I have mixed feelings about this change. I just don't see it working. First of all, a message was never sent out about this change to the lowly 2P's (or, at least not yet). So, were it not for FT, and I show up to the airport on Nov. 16th for my flight to MSY, I would not know about this change, and assume that when Seating Area 1 is called, I would be able to board, as I have for many years. If a GA challenged me on this, I would say, I've never heard anything about this from United, and, as a lowly 2P, I have earned this benefit. Now, because I know, I won't. I just see this creating a lot of confusion among the GA's and the Seating Area 1 crowd, and think that it will be quite a while before the 1P's truly see the benefit of this change.

Also, since when have United Business customers boarded 2nd on the Red Carpet? Every time I have been on the red carpet, the C customers always crowd in with everybody else, and I have never heard an annoucement otherwise.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:18 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Why do they have to make 1P so much better the day after I reached 1K?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Great suggestion....the problem is many of the *'s most valuble customers get their boarding passes issues by LO in KRK, or by anohter carrier that doesn't use UA's boarding passes, so they are difficult to tell where they belong. Often the * carrier bP may have a *G or *S somewhere on them.

I'm not quite sure that *G is necessarily more valuable to UA than a UA 2P. If you give your $$$ to another carrier most of the time and fly UA rarely, I would like to see UA protect it's own elite (even low level) above the partners elites. After all, they have a choice as to who to credit miles to and claim to be loyal to. if they are not UA gold/silver, then their loyalty is not to UA. )and loyalty means sacraficing some benefits on one for a concentratin on another.)

As for letting gold use red carpet...well, that lane is allegedly avail for boarding at ANY time. It is inconvienence to have stragelers come up at any time. To increase the number of this with BP's that don't easily identify them will slow the process down, that is, if the agents enforce the area and make sure they can properly confirm the *G status of the stragglers from a BP that doesn't easily identify them as such.
Well, in that case Sir.. Would you rather have to follow the same procedure on other *A carriers as the one you're suggesting? I'd really like to see your reaction..

"UA *G now boards after all other *Elites has boarded the plane"

Now I'm sorry I had to put it this way, but it's the same feelings for us who fly with UA but chooses to credit it to other *A carrier because it is our primary carriers. It's true we have the choice, but won't we need to pick which one is more beneficial to us?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
I like the development - except for the fact that I will make 1K on December 1 and I have 7 USscare flights before that guess it could be worse though
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Call me crazy, but I don't think this is that big of an improvement for 1P's. Yes, you achieve separation from the "hordes" of 2P's and 3P's that stuff overhead bins, but your boarding position is still the same (i.e. after GS/First/1k, etc), and now you board with the *Golds, who will admittedly be fewer in number than 2P's, except maybe on some international routes. I'm not sure, other than recognition from United, what you gain from this.

The focus, I think, should be on what United affording recognition to *G elites from other airlines might mean for United's own *G-level elites on other Star Alliance partners. Does this type of goodwill gesture point towards some sort of centralized level of *G benefits in the (far-off) future, or is it merely a random blip?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by steveBTV
I already sort of experienced this extra priority boarding on 11/2 at IAD of all places. They called GS, 1K, and 1P to the red carpet. I was initially confused but then realized there were no GSs or 1Ks and I was the only person who got to use the red carpet.
2 weeks ago in IAD A terminal they called for red carpet 3 different ways at 3 different gates. One gate did GS and 1K. Another did GS, 1K, 1P. Then a 3rd called for GS, 1K, 1P, 1P.

In a semi-related story, last summer I booked a UA codeshare via US (with my at the time 2P MP #) and was assigned seating area 6 (on a CRJ!). I walked up to the UA counter and mentioned I was 2P and they quickly gave me a seating area 1 BP.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jtsaltman82
Call me crazy, but I don't think this is that big of an improvement for 1P's. Yes, you achieve separation from the "hordes" of 2P's and 3P's that stuff overhead bins, but your boarding position is still the same (i.e. after GS/First/1k, etc), and now you board with the *Golds, who will admittedly be fewer in number than 2P's, except maybe on some international routes. I'm not sure, other than recognition from United, what you gain from this.

The focus, I think, should be on what United affording recognition to *G elites from other airlines might mean for United's own *G-level elites on other Star Alliance partners. Does this type of goodwill gesture point towards some sort of centralized level of *G benefits in the (far-off) future, or is it merely a random blip?
i would disagree with your arguement. I think that what United had done is actually good. Think about how many 2Ps and 3Ps who are in seating area 1? Usually, it is quite a sizeable number.

Sure, it might not be a big enhancement, but i think that this boarding process is fair as most carriers invite *G and their equivalent 1Ps to board after their Plat/1K/First/Business. Seating area 1 is usually a pretty large group and can get messy at times and now breaking seating area 1 up would smoothen the process. I think it is all up to whether the gate agent can explain the boarding process clearly and i think lately, they have done a reasonably good job, esp after the red carpets were introduced.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GoingAway
... The whine has just got to stop
No doubt. They're basically adding a post first/pre-zone 1. As someone who sometimes falls short of 1K (as I will this year) but will hit 85k miles this year, yeah, it sucks getting the same benefits as a 25k/yr flier. This makes it a little more desirable to bother hitting 1P vs settling for 2P.

Regardless, I agree that people who whine about getting the level of treatment that they pay for and/or earn are a bit tedious.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAMike73
I agree that people who whine about getting the level of treatment that they pay for and/or earn are a bit tedious.
As is this thread
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:25 pm

I feel bad for the 2Ps!!!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Wouldnt it be easier if they just adjusted the seating Area numbers. Give 1P and *G Seating area one....2ps, 3ps seating area 2 and so on...
Some other airlines (e.g., US) do this and it is not a bad thing, IMHO.

Originally Posted by ger3sf
I would suggest board 1st/GS/1K first, then allow 1p on the red carpet (incl. any 1st/GS/1K stragglers).
Ooooh, then all of you GS/1Ks could start to complain about how the 1Ps/*Gs are red carpet lice and block the way to the coveted red entry lane.

Originally Posted by smassey22180
2 weeks ago in IAD A terminal they called for red carpet 3 different ways at 3 different gates. One gate did GS and 1K. Another did GS, 1K, 1P. Then a 3rd called for GS, 1K, 1P, 1P.
Perhaps they were running a test ahead of this announcement to see which ran best or was met with the most approval. @:-)
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
I like it. Now I'm just curious if it will affect (in)consistency across the stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.