Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL: 1P and *AG get Priority Boarding thru the Economy Lane as of Nov 12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICIAL: 1P and *AG get Priority Boarding thru the Economy Lane as of Nov 12

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
The difference is that lowly 2P's like me are no longer "most valued" guests and will have to wait for all the 1P's.

I actually already experienced this boarding order on a Nov 3 flight, so I'm not sure why the email says Nov 12.
So, let's see......the less valued 2P's board with the masses? Would that make us seating area 2?
Guess they don't like us much.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I already sort of experienced this extra priority boarding on 11/2 at IAD of all places. They called GS, 1K, and 1P to the red carpet. I was initially confused but then realized there were no GSs or 1Ks and I was the only person who got to use the red carpet.

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
As a long time 1P this is great news for me. I sympathize with 2P/3P's, but as others have noted the Zone 1 group can be insanely large for some flights so I feel this is a fair/good call. Its not like they're not doing away with Zone 1 altogether which would be a huge slap in the face to Premiers et al.

I am flying thru ORD on 11/13 so we'll see how this goes when I board my flights. Ironically, when I land in LHR I will be a newly minted 1K so this whole change will be moot.

Last edited by drummingcraig; Nov 10, 2008 at 12:05 pm Reason: content/grammar

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I guess I'd missed something....I thought 1P already got seating area 1. Does this really make much of a difference?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
1) This does add value at no cost, but make no mistake, it is zero sum. On the other hand, it builds in more incentive to attain 1P.

2) It comes at the time of year of lots of extra carryons, this year exacerbated by the new checked bag fees. Thus even more value to (and to becoming) a 1P.

Afterall, isn't pre-boarding all about the overhead bins?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by hans
I guess I'd missed something....I thought 1P already got seating area 1. Does this really make much of a difference?
1P *has* always gotten Zone 1. Now they've created a separate zone exclusively for 1P/*G which boards *prior* to Zone 1.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
^ UA!

I like it..... adding value while not increasing cost.
Agreed! ^

An exciting time to make 1P indeed!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
...Ironically, when I land in LHR I will be a newly minted 1K so this whole change will be moot.
Not so fast, there, pardner. A word to the wise: You might want to make a note (including phone number) to self to check back with MP to be sure if (and when) everything is "ta", as they say. From experience, CS staff at LHR are contract, and can be either ignorant of important nuances - such as baggage allowance privilege when 1K is uncertain, for example - or very letter-of-the-law.

(I hope it's better now, but still worth confirming that everyone thinks you're 1K.)
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This change (currently) doesn't affect me. But it seems the process is getting more and more complicated. I'd guess that on my recent trips 10% of the people trying to boad over the red rug where sent back by the GA, so they either don't understand the announcements or just plainly choose to ignore them. I am not sure that this new procedure will help with this. Now the "Group 1" people are essentially the 3rd group to board. Or maybe the fourth, if they really want to sub-divide the Red Carpet people into 1K/GS/F and only then C pax.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by wcrhkd
So, let's see......the less valued 2P's board with the masses? Would that make us seating area 2?
Guess they don't like us much.
... The whine has just got to stop
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by ryan182
Perhaps 2Ps are "slightly valued" and therefore not able to participate in initiatives that are for "most valued"
But they're not least valued, either. Doesn't that make perfect sense?

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Wouldnt it be easier if they just adjusted the seating Area numbers. Give 1P and *G Seating area one....2ps, 3ps seating area 2 and so on...
Sounds good but would require creating a zone 5.

Originally Posted by ger3sf
That's nice, but it'll still be chaotic to get thru gate lice.

I would suggest board 1st/GS/1K first, then allow 1p on the red carpet (incl. any 1st/GS/1K stragglers).
This would make sense but would slightly dilute the 1K benefit (i.e., to board
ahead of any 1P any time).

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Now the "Group 1" people are essentially the 3rd group to board. Or maybe the fourth, if they really want to sub-divide the Red Carpet people into 1K/GS/F and only then C pax.
That's an issue that might cause confusion. Maybe they should call boarding
groups by color ... red, gold, green (with envy), orange (you going to make
Premier next year), and so on, down to (United, why you wanna make me) blue.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Not so fast, there, pardner. A word to the wise: You might want to make a note (including phone number) to self to check back with MP to be sure if (and when) everything is "ta", as they say. From experience, CS staff at LHR are contract, and can be either ignorant of important nuances - such as baggage allowance privilege when 1K is uncertain, for example - or very letter-of-the-law.

(I hope it's better now, but still worth confirming that everyone thinks you're 1K.)
I have flown into/out of LHR many times as a 1P and never had any issues.
Besides, only thing that will really affect me is the "Red Carpet" boarding (bag allowances being the same for 1P and 1K).

It will still be interesting to see how they handle the new 1P/*G boarding group at LHR though, as sometimes the premier boarding can be a bit diluted there.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by gomike
Beginning November 12, our Premier Executive members and Star Alliance Gold guests will board before Seating Area 1 customers through the Economy Lane.
To make it easier for the GAs there should be a big 1P on the BP.
The new boarding order will be as follows: Global Services, 1K and customers sitting in United First will continue to board first through the Red Carpet Lane, followed by our United Business customers. ...
This is a slight change as business is generally called along with all the others. Extending *Gs priority probably will have little effect on the 1Ps. I wonder if this is because of some negotiation with *A for reciprocal privileges.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
To make it easier for the GAs there should be a big 1P on the BP.
Actually, it might make more sense if it was a big *G to further differentiate it from the big 1K they currently have. It would also simplify it for the *G members of other airlines. @:-)
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fnothaft
Agreed! ^

An exciting time to make 1P indeed!
I'm sure lots of people will run out and make mileage runs to take advantage of this exciting new development.

Priority boarding is already a joke most of the time. The fewer people on the red carpet the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.