Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler Boarding on the Red Carpet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,VA,AA,Delta
Million Miler Boarding on the Red Carpet

I have been flying 1K for about ten years. I also have about 1.5million BIS miles. MMers constantly get emails from UA telling us how important we are to the airline. The perks [ a few certs at 1 mil plus permenent 1P] are meaningless when flying from a station like LAX,
I have had several email exchanges with Customer Service about allowing MMers to board via the Red Carpet, with no real response [ I was advised that I shouldn't worry because I am a 1K and can use the Red Carpet]. Duh! I guess that never dawned on me.
I think that if all of the MMers were to email customer service and push for this perk for such very important customers, maybe they would consider a perk that does not cost them anything [ and would not upset non-MMers].
Will those of you who have had experience with this issue please weigh in with your thoughts and comments......
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Lets just let all 1Ps board over the Red Carpet...that would kill two birds with a single stone!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I was boarding at ATL last week (still steamed after learning the RCC there had closed just a few months earlier) and the passenger in front of me on the red carpet had a BP with "Seating Area 1" on it.

When he got to the front, the gate agent said, "I'm sorry, you'll need to get in the other line." He responded, "I'm a million miler." She replied, "It doesn't matter, the requirements for this lane are printed clearly on the sign."

Now I'm not a million miler and AFAIK, the fewer on the red carpet, the better... but it seems like this loyal of a flyer (even if they don't requalify for 1K in a particular year) ought to be able to have priority boarding.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:34 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
but the MM benefit is already that you get free 1P for life. The red carpet criterion is an F seat, 1K, or GS -- categories that point to ongoing highest value customer?

and as we all know, aside from the MM recognition, airlines aren't about recognizing long historic past business...

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Lets just let all 1Ps board over the Red Carpet...that would kill two birds with a single stone!
that would more than double the people boarding on the red carpet on most flights.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 13, 2008 at 5:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm MM and would love to board on the red carpet. But since I'm always in boarding area 1 and usually end up near the front, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it?

As a MM'er, I've certainly spent a lot of BIS time on UA, and I am indeed quite loyal. But I'm flying somewhat less these days, and the folks on the red carpet are probably more important to UA revenue, at least short term, so I haven't felt it was unfair.

But I'll take the perk if offered
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by TA
but the MM benefit is already that you get free 1P for life. The red carpet criterion is an F seat, 1K, or GS -- categories that point to ongoing highest value customer?

and as we all know, aside from the MM recognition, airlines aren't about recognizing long historic past business...

that would more than double the people boarding on the red carpet on most flights.
It was meant more of a joke, but seriously, would it be too big of a deal, if UA invites 1P's to board over the red carpet once the F, GS, and 1K's are through?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
would it be too big of a deal, if UA invites 1P's to board over the red carpet once the F, GS, and 1K's are through?
The most important part about the red carpet is not the ability to board early, but the ability to board late and totally bypass the other line.

Originally Posted by xevious
it seems like this loyal of a flyer (even if they don't requalify for 1K in a particular year) ought to be able to have priority boarding.
"But what have you done for me lately?"
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
MM is huge, but 1Ps simply don't belong on the red carpet unless they're flying in first. Maybe another boarding pass marker (like GS, 1K) that says MM or something.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:02 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Heard It Both Ways...

Having taken some 68 UA flights in the last 3 months, I have heard GA's announce it both ways...some say "1K & GS members will board to the right on the red carpet" . I have also heard (on multiple occasions) "1K, GS & million mile members will board to the right on the red carpet". Guess it is dependent on the GA???
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The most important part about the red carpet is not the ability to board early, but the ability to board late and totally bypass the other line.
I like that too about the red carpet, but then I get stuck in the jet bridge just after going through the red carpet line...
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
1st Welcome to FT, RJRTRG

I could go either way on this one, but in general it seems like yet another group to put on the sign and call out. Of course, it means that MM would need to start printing out on the boarding card as well so that the gate agent would have a sanity check.

Methinks 1P at MM is a sufficiently large perk. Current flying puts folks in the fast lane. Of course, I am cutting off my own nose as I expect to pass MM in a few months.....
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.33MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm MM and would love to board on the red carpet. But since I'm always in boarding area 1 and usually end up near the front, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it?

As a MM'er, I've certainly spent a lot of BIS time on UA, and I am indeed quite loyal. But I'm flying somewhat less these days, and the folks on the red carpet are probably more important to UA revenue, at least short term, so I haven't felt it was unfair.

But I'll take the perk if offered
I agree with MojaveFlyer on this one. I bounce between 1P and 1K from year to year (depending on where my business travel takes me each year). This year, boarding with Seating Area 1 hasn't been a big deal.

But there aren't that many MMs out there (a % or two of the total UA flying public, at most). So, adding us to the red carpet boarding would be a nice touch by UA to recognize our past (and for most of us, continuing) support.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:35 am

Location: Central Florida--United 1P MM, HH Silver, SPG , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RJRTRG
I have been flying 1K for about ten years. I also have about 1.5million BIS miles. MMers constantly get emails from UA telling us how important we are to the airline. The perks [ a few certs at 1 mil plus permenent 1P] are meaningless when flying from a station like LAX,
I have had several email exchanges with Customer Service about allowing MMers to board via the Red Carpet, with no real response [ I was advised that I shouldn't worry because I am a 1K and can use the Red Carpet]. Duh! I guess that never dawned on me.
I think that if all of the MMers were to email customer service and push for this perk for such very important customers, maybe they would consider a perk that does not cost them anything [ and would not upset non-MMers].
Will those of you who have had experience with this issue please weigh in with your thoughts and comments......
Last week in Orlando, I experienced a very unpleasant situation. They called all the 1K and Global Services thru the red carpet (no 1st class--it was Ted). Then, Group 1 was called. Several group 3 and group 4 passengers who didn't understand English tried to board and blocked the boarding lane. Since no one was using the red carpet, I tried to board that way, but was denied by the gate agent. I explained to her that I couldn't get to her the correct way, but she lectured me (even suggesting I didn't know how to read) and refused to let me board. I went back, made my way thru the 3s and 4s, and finally made it on. Seemed overly official. I'm a MM and former
1K and really respect their status.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
The rules are fine they way they are: the Red Carpet is for GS, 1K, and F customers only, simple as that.

I am a 1K, with less than 25K to go to become a MM, and it would appear that in the coming years (perhaps even as early as next year), it will be highly unlikely that I will requalify as a 1K, but I am quite fine with the rules as they are today.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Now what about 2MMs?

Should they not get 1K for life and hence the Red Rug for life @:-) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.