Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet boarding as 1P?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Answer me this:

Why shouldn't 1P's have the ability to board over the red carpet? What makes your 125,000 miles (or whatever) so much better than my 85,000? I fly 85,000 miles and 90 segments a year, and I have to stand in a line a mile long while I watch a person who flies a few more miles than me each year cut in front of everyone, and take that oh so important overhead bin.

Really. I want an answer.
Because UA says it does. Look there are benefits that you get a 25K/50K/100K miles, if you want to have the benefits of a particular level: fly more. You say its only a few miles more, well then get off your you-know-what and sackup and fly the last few miles to get the benefits you want.

In some hubs, SFO for example the whole point of the red carpet (the color doesn't matter though) is to allow 1K/GS/F/C to board at our leisure, if we have 80+% of the plane using the express lane one cannot really do that anymore and then has to become the dreaded "1K gate lice".
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ryan182
Because UA says it does. Look there are benefits that you get a 25K/50K/100K miles, if you want to have the benefits of a particular level: fly more. You say its only a few miles more, well then get off your you-know-what and sackup and fly the last few miles to get the benefits you want.

In some hubs, SFO for example the whole point of the red carpet (the color doesn't matter though) is to allow 1K/GS/F/C to board at our leisure, if we have 80+% of the plane using the express lane one cannot really do that anymore and then has to become the dreaded "1K gate lice".
There should simply be a medium. You tell me why 1P's can't be invited to board over the Red Carpet once F/C/GS/1K has gone through? Because you might be running late? Thats your problem, you should have gotten off your you-know-what and got to the gate earlier.

Also, since when does 1K/F/C/GS/1P consist of 80% of the plane. Please.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Why shouldn't 1P's have the ability to board over the red carpet? What
makes your 125,000 miles (or whatever) so much better than my 85,000?
Well, that's silly. "What makes your 50000 miles better than my 49000?"
"What makes your 25000 miles better than my 24999?"

"Justice" might better be served by a smaller granularity, where your 85K gets
more than the squeaking-by 50Ker, but such a system would likely be quite
unwieldy: look at the bellyaching when US went to a 4-tier elite system. And
in any case your 85K should still get less than someone else's 100K.

I fly 85,000 miles and 90 segments a year, and I have to stand in a line a mile
long while I watch a person who flies a few more miles than me each year
If they're so insignificant, why not suck it up and fly the few extra?

cut in front of everyone, and take that oh so important overhead bin.
In fact, the 1K deserves the bin more than you do! She or he has likely
spent thousands more staving the airline away from bankruptcy than you
have. Those extra 40K (or even 15K) miles weren't flown at no cost.

I will say that this 1K tends to lallygag in the club or barring that, at a
tavern, and often boards with the seating 3s or "all remaining passengers
are welcome to board"; so the uppity 1P, or, worse, gasp, someone with
24999 or fewer miles, may well have taken his entitled overhead bin!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
There should simply be a medium. You tell me why 1P's can't be invited to board over the Red Carpet once F/C/GS/1K has gone through? Because you might be running late? Thats your problem, you should have gotten off your you-know-what and got to the gate earlier.

Also, since when does 1K/F/C/GS/1P consist of 80% of the plane. Please.
Its not my problem it seems as though its your problem, I like the policy you're the one who seems to take issue with it. Further its not "running late" when they specifically say the whole purpose is to allow us to board at our leisure, so I can't see how you can call that "late". Is there any other perk that 1Ks or maybe GSs get that you think you should have? Perhaps you should get all fees waived too? SWUs? Just what else are you entitled to simply because you say so? Please indeed.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:28 pm

Listen - Yes, I know there needs to be some benefits that a 1K will get that 1P's should not, but I don't think the all or nothing way of boarding the plane is the right way. Like I said [up there] why not give 1P's the ability to board after 1Ks over the red carpet?

Also, I can assure you, you and all the 1K's would be on my side, if UA restricted the red carpet to only GS, and shoved the 1K's back to seating 1 with the 3P's. Think about it.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

Now UA says differently, and has deemed it proper for 1P to have a distinct boarding priority. Since UA says so, you should be on board.

I also think 80+% as a standard is quite an exaggeration.

Hopefully they will be after the current red carpet folks (and through the economy lane keeping the RC available at all times) not at the same time, but who knows.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: *G
it astounds me how standing on a colored carpet is considered a "benefit". ive always seen on ua and co the carpet getting cordoned off immediately after the early boarding, so there goes the leisure of anytime-boarding.

on sunday i witnessed a UX flight leaving DEN where the carpet was opened, to allow literally 1 single person to board, and then closed off, and then each subsequent zone was called. pretty amusing for a tiny ERJ.

on the other point, the most premium-laden flight ive been was last week on DEN-IAH the morning after the Texas-Colorado football game. half of the cabin were premium, and decked in orange, heading back after watching our victory in boulder.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:32 pm

Its not my problem it seems as though its your problem, I like the policy you're the one who seems to take issue with it. Further its not "running late" when they specifically say the whole purpose is to allow us to board at our leisure, so I can't see how you can call that "late". Is there any other perk that 1Ks or maybe GSs get that you think you should have? Perhaps you should get all fees waived too? SWUs? Just what else are you entitled to simply because you say so? Please indeed.
Cmon, read what I wrote: I NEVER said 1P's should board WITH 1K/GS, I said after, but over the red carpet. That seems to be the happy medium (to me anyways).

Also, I love how you act like half the plane are 1P's, and it would just be overwhelimg if they got to board after the 1K's over the red carpet

And no, with the exception of the boarding process (which they are changing so apperently UA agrees with me) I don't think 1Ps should get any of what 1K's get.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Also, I can assure you, you and all the 1K's would be on my side, if UA restricted the red carpet to only GS, and shoved the 1K's back to seating 1 with the 3P's. Think about it.
That would be because of a benefit that had been removed from the 1K program. In your case, you believe you should be granted additional benefits to which your status level has not previously been allowed. Big difference.

Never ceases to amaze me the sense of entitlement people feel, even when they don't wish to expend the time/effort/money to actually earn said entitlement, as others do.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
it astounds me how standing on a colored carpet is considered a "benefit". ive always seen on ua and co the carpet getting cordoned off immediately after the early boarding, so there goes the leisure of anytime-boarding.

on sunday i witnessed a UX flight leaving DEN where the carpet was opened, to allow literally 1 single person to board, and then closed off, and then each subsequent zone was called. pretty amusing for a tiny ERJ.

on the other point, the most premium-laden flight ive been was last week on DEN-IAH the morning after the Texas-Colorado football game. half of the cabin were premium, and decked in orange, heading back after watching our victory in boulder.
They close the red carpet lane just to deter people that shouldn't use it from using it. The moment anyone that belongs there enters the lane, the GA's immediatley board you.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Listen - Yes, I know there needs to be some benefits that a 1K will get that 1P's should not, but I don't think the all or nothing way of boarding the plane is the right way. Like I said [up there] why not give 1P's the ability to board after 1Ks over the red carpet?
Too much trouble. You'd have 1Ps storming the gates as it were, not unlike
the GLs who clog the other side. And the agents would have a really hard
time enforcing the time priority.

Wrong again. I for one revel in what I can get and do not cry over what I cannot.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ORD Gates
Yes, coming soon Premier Exec's will officially have their own separate boarding group.

The boarding order will be as follows.
1) GS/UF/1K
2) UB (if applicable)
3) Premier Execs
4) Seating Area 1

This was in our weekly 'lesson' last week, and to be honest we don't actually pay all that much attention to them, so I don't remember for sure whether Premier Execs will board on the rug or not, but I want to say no.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Now UA says differently, and has deemed it proper for 1P to have a distinct boarding priority. Since UA says so, you should be on board.

I also think 80+% as a standard is quite an exaggeration.

Hopefully they will be after the current red carpet folks (and through the economy lane keeping the RC available at all times) not at the same time, but who knows.
As you can see from the post by a GA they are getting their own group but still use the regular line or at least thats how it looks. Which sounds fine and dandy to me and its also completely besides the point that was being made, specifically: the poster who seems to think they should get to board on the RC regardless of what UA says
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Never ceases to amaze me the sense of entitlement people feel, even when they don't wish to expend the time/effort/money to actually earn said entitlement, as others do.
Once again, why should I have to board with the 3P's?

(If you honestly think that I should, you are ignorant and stuck up).

As you can see from the post by a GA they are getting their own group but still use the regular line or at least thats how it looks. Which sounds fine and dandy to me and its also completely besides the point that was being made, specifically: the poster who seems to think they should get to board on the RC regardless of what UA says
I never said that...my point is that there should be a medium...UA obviously agrees.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 17, 2008 at 1:35 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Once again, why should I have to board with the 3P's?

(If you honestly think that I should, you are ignorant and stuck up).
Apparently you are the one that believes you are too good to be boarding with the 3Ps.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by violist
Too much trouble. You'd have 1Ps storming the gates as it were, not unlike
the GLs who clog the other side. And the agents would have a really hard
time enforcing the time priority.
Here we go again with the over exaggeration of how many 1P's are out there.

Originally Posted by violist
Wrong again. I for one revel in what I can get and do not cry over what I cannot.
I don't buy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.